Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Mar 26, 2010
I am not going to defend Berube all day, but to say that Keefe is a better coach is just silly. As far as I can tell with Keefe, he has all the moves of a junior coach.
IMO Keefe was a very good coach. I mean, did you actually expect the Leafs to win with Samsonov and Woll in net. It does not matter who the coach was, they were losing. I am not going to put it all on the goaltending (although that is the major reason), this team is severely flawed throughout the lineup.

There needs to be a substantial shake up in the lineup. Not just a knee-jerk coaching change. I’m not sure what else everybody expected Keefe to do, did you expect him to put the goalie pads on himself and play? Needed a save!

Reactions: ruaware41

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Berube seems to be the favourite to be named but none of the big reporters have come out and said he is going to be the guy.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
If brind’amour doesnt sound like he wants to leave this weekend then get berube. Leafs did it right. Waited until brind’anour is available, get where his head is at, sign him if he wants and if not then its berube.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I am not sure that his departure from NY had more to do with anything beyond his perceived failure to adapt to in-game changes in that last playoff. I am not going to link a bunch of Reddit crap but his stubborn use of the regular season lines exactly the same way in the playoffs whether they were succeeding or not was mentioned by a bunch of Rags fans. This sounds a bit like SK which would be problematic. However he did get to the finals with Vegas so he obviously isn't a plug. Not on my list but I would still be much more excited to see what the club would do for him if he was the guy rather than another year of Sheldon..
Honestly, this specifically every NHL coach is guilty of and it's very stupid and drives the fans up a f***ing wall. It's one of those old traditions where merit is decided for some based on some combination of the veteranometer and goodguyometer.

For the Leafs this was evident in Keefes decision to leave Rielly on the 1st powerplay unit where he was offering nothing and Boston could largely ignore to play a 4v4 and despite not seeing any success with Rielly on there he didn't even think to try something without him at the point with his blocked muffins anytime he got the puck

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
IMO Keefe was a very good coach. I mean, did you actually expect the Leafs to win with Samsonov and Woll in net. It does not matter who the coach was, they were losing. I am not going to put it all on the goaltending (although that is the major reason), this team is severely flawed throughout the lineup.

There needs to be a substantial shake up in the lineup. Not just a knee-jerk coaching change. I’m not sure what else everybody expected Keefe to do, did you expect him to put the goalie pads on himself and play? Needed a save!
No. Keefe has had many kicks at the can. It goes back to his shockingly poor decisions against Columbus. The coaching change is not knee-jerk at all.

Reactions: Buds17

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Savard has been on JD Bunkis' show on 590 a lot and frequently has talked about the mistakes the Leafs were making with their PP. I think he also talked about the mistakes on our zone entries, how predictable we were in both respects.

Anyway, he sounded like he knew what he was talking about in general, I'd be pretty excited to have him on the staff.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Can believe anyone would use the word "knee jerk coaching decision" and Sheldon Keefe's tenure here. My word.

Reactions: Jmo89

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
No. Keefe has had many kicks at the can. It goes back to his shockingly poor decisions against Columbus. The coaching change is not knee-jerk at all.
Agrred that Keefe needed to go, but he is a small part of the issue. The bigger one is upper management and this core not elevating their game when it counts. Marner is the guy everyone's chasing with pitchforks, but it needs to be every member of the core. Judging by the exit media availablity, JT is another that I want moved or forced out if possible. AM34 is going no where and Willy has been decent in pressure situations. Honestly, if Mitch and JT say no to waiving, there isn't much you can do except watch them finish their contracts and walk. Shanny should have been removed. Bottom line.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Um, you realize he is employed by another team right? They can't even talk to him right now. And if he does get canned, I can see him going to join Francis with whom he has a long relationship. Why focus on someone who isn't even available right now, and might not be at all?
very good point, Seattle would be a great landing spot for Rod, never thought about the Francis connection...........

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Pretty late in the day for a news announcement. Has there been a shift in the direction? Is Gallant the coach Treliving wants?

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Rodney Brind'amour is the guy to get here. That would be a major swing. He's considered one of the better coaches out there.

Berube is a good back up plan if Rod returns to Carolina.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Our new coach has "snot" too.

Berube will at least command the room for a period, and we will tighten our neutral zone. I'm fine with the choice overall.
Keefe tightened the neutral zone up pretty well there in the Boston series, not sure how much Berube will improve upon that. Defensively Keefe was honestly pretty good, it's his one shining value

If Berube can get us to play more north-south hockey with speed and not rely on regroups that would be great. We've sucked at generating transition offense for a while now in the playoffs and that is a big way teams score

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Rodney Brind'amour is the guy to get here. That would be a major swing. He's considered one of the better coaches out there.

Berube is a good back up plan if Rod returns to Carolina.
He was my top pick also, until i realized that he failed just as much with a far better 'team' than we have, so, is he really an upgrade if he cannot adapt in the playoffs and get the Canes out of the 2nd round?

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Can believe anyone would use the word "knee jerk coaching decision" and Sheldon Keefe's tenure here. My word.

You can only shake your head at some of the narratives on here. My current favorite is that Berube deserves zero credit for winning a cup and was a total failure every other year... Just don't look too closely or else you'll notice he made it to the 2nd round with a 109 point team in 2022.

If winning a cup and getting to the 2nd round is nothing, what was Keefe? :laugh:

I'm not even saying Berube is some savior but the way a handful of people shit all over other people's success while propping up the failures here is very strange.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I dont see Rod going anywhere but who knows
Rod's contract is up; it's actually not his call. And the Hurricanes owner is REALLY, REALLY cheap (apparently the holdup is that not only do they not want to pay Rod, but they don't want to pay any of his coaching staff, either).

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Little surprised we haven’t heard anything on the coaching yet. Figured it’d be done by now since everyone seems convinced it’s gonna be Berube and by all accounts the discussions there have gone well.

Hell, he flew here and spent the entire weekend with the Leafs and only joined a Zoom call to talk to Winnipeg lol

Last edited:

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
You can only shake your head at some of the narratives on here. My current favorite is that Berube deserves zero credit for winning a cup and was a total failure every other year... Just don't look too closely or else you'll notice he made it to the 2nd round with a 109 point team in 2022.

If winning a cup and getting to the 2nd round is nothing, what was Keefe? :laugh:

I'm not even saying Berube is some savior but the way a handful of people shit all over other people's success while propping up the failures here is very strange.
don't forget its because he caught lightning in a bottle

• Haha
Reactions: Jmo89

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Rod's contract is up; it's actually not his call. And the Hurricanes owner is REALLY, REALLY cheap (apparently the holdup is that not only do they not want to pay Rod, but they don't want to pay any of his coaching staff, either).
if you keep speaking it into existence, it helps lol

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's going around Twitter that Dreger is reporting that they will name their coach on Tuesday.

Can anybody confirm that Dreger said this?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I don't think the term knee-jerk means whatever you think it means.

Sheldon Keefe was here for 5 years.

Reactions: Kurtz

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's going around Twitter that Dreger is reporting that they will name their coach on Tuesday.

He said early next week this morning on first up. Given Monday is a holiday and good news usually is announced early in the week, Tuesday makes sense,

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Yep but he's the human equvliant of a human word salad. He says a lot of words, without actually saying anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad