Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
You have no idea what is or is not happening, nor why.

Lol? What are you, 12?

Why? They have more money than God and the coach's salary has no effect on anything else, so who gives a shit?

Which explains why no NHL teams are calling you to interview for jobs.

Um, you realize he is employed by another team right? They can't even talk to him right now. And if he does get canned, I can see him going to join Francis with whom he has a long relationship. Why focus on someone who isn't even available right now, and might not be at all?
Yep and you seem to everything. I have a friend like you.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Who the hell is Dan Powers and why should we care what he says?
Because, like the rest of us, he is guessing at one of the more obvious sure things in recent memory. The Leafs are not doing some exhaustive search to end up with Todd McLellan. They're just negotiating how much they have to pay Berube.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Of course. Berube's best showing after that Cup win though is a loss in Round 2. By comparison, Brind'Amour has coached in two Conference Finals and never missed the playoffs. Then again, even one Cup would mean A LOT.

Blues were really screwed over by the COVID pause in 2019-20. Blues were 2nd overall in the league and leading their division before the world went tits-up and when the NHL came back it just wasn’t the same. It’s difficult enough to repeat as a champion, even more so when all momentum you had is sapped.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Yeah Berube is similar to Brind'Amour in the way they love to play a hard nosed relentless forechecking system. I mentioned Evason because I was looking at available coaches and I remember his teams being one of the better defensive teams in the league when he was there I believe. Fedorov was another name I saw and his contract wasn't renewed apparently and he won a KHL championship his 1st season coaching and idk if he can run a PP but I just made an assumption he could just for the hell of it.
Hey I'm all for the effort on that one man.

Cheers.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
If Rod B becomes available you get him in here asap.

Then decide which Carolina UFA he wants to lure over here. One of the 4 starting D from tonight or one or two of the forwards.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Not sure why Brind’Amour is catching blame. His roster is flat out less talented than New York’s and they arguably carried the pace of play for most of the series.

We should give him whatever he wants.

Except they can't, he's employed by another club.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Screen cap. Something's bout to go down
1000019842.png

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Not sure why Brind’Amour is catching blame. His roster is flat out less talented than New York’s and they arguably carried the pace of play for most of the series.

We should give him whatever he wants.
Brind’Amour is incredibly overrated. The fact that Brind’Amour used the first round victory as a chance to negotiate more money for himself in the middle of the playoffs doesn’t sit well with me. Incredibly selfish to be such a distraction for your team.

Brind’Amour makes no adjustments and has his pets. The PP was horrible.

He insisted on keeping Kuznetsov on the 4th line and almost no PP time . Yet he still finished tied 2nd on the team in goals in the playoffs. He clearly is a game breaker with high end skill….yet Rod kept him with non skill guys. Sticking a skilled guy on a 4th line is such a waste.

Meanwhile his faves like Martinook never fell out of top 6 mins with 2 goals the entire playoffs. Same with Teravainen.

Then there Staal. He scored 1 goal. It was a great goal, but 1 frigging goal for a guy Rod played in every important situation. At this stage Staal is a 4th line center. But Brind’Amour insisted on using him as #2 bc he’s old and Rod likes him.

At some point, when things weren’t going well, you’d hope the coach would mix things up. Try different lines. The PP killed them….change it up….but Brind’Amour is stubborn and sticks to what his plan was

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Brind’Amour is incredibly overrated. The fact that Brind’Amour used the first round victory as a chance to negotiate more money for himself in the middle of the playoffs doesn’t sit well with me. Incredibly selfish to be such a distraction for your team.

He insisted on keeping Kuznetsov on the 4th line and almost no PP time . Yet he still finished tied 2nd on the team in goals in the playoffs. He clearly is a game breaker with high end skill….yet Rod kept him with non skill guys. Sticking a skilled guy on a 4th line is such a waste.

Meanwhile his faves like Martinook never fell out of top 6 mins with 2 goals the entire playoffs. Same with Teravainen.

Then there Staal. He scored 1 goal. It was a great goal, but 1 frigging goal for a guy Rod played in every important situation. At this stage Staal is a 4th line center. But Brind’Amour insisted on using him as #2 bc he’s old and Rod likes him.

At some point, when things weren’t going well, you’d hope the coach would mix things up. Try different lines. The PP killed them….change it up….but Brind’Amour is stubborn and sticks to what his plan was
I don't watch much CAN's game (turned it off after CAN was up 2-0). Tocchet "healthy scratched" Kuzmenko because he was lazy on D when Canucks needed a goal scorer to score a goal. So, did Kuznetsov play a "200-foot game" or a "Marner-ish game"?

Last edited:

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

A lot of this sounds like Keefe. Plays his favourites, has a piss poor powerplay, no adjustments, those are all recognizable and familiar faults.

If it’s true he negotiated his contract after round 1 that really doesn’t sit right with me. I’d hate it if a player did the same in the middle of a playoff run, a coach should be above that.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Rod is the #1 choice imo. Park a truck load of cash outside his house. Hire him and bring in the staff he wants around him.

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
A lot of this sounds like Keefe. Plays his favourites, has a piss poor powerplay, no adjustments, those are all recognizable and familiar faults.

If it’s true he negotiated his contract after round 1 that really doesn’t sit right with me. I’d hate it if a player did the same in the middle of a playoff run, a coach should be above that.
I believe he went to bat for his assistant coaches to get paid.
Not sure how I feel about a coach that you know you are his second choice and hasn't pushed a team he helped build further.
Fun fact only three head coaches have won a cup with multiple teams

Reactions: HofT

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I believe he went to bat for his assistant coaches to get paid.
Not sure how I feel about a coach that you know you are his second choice and hasn't pushed a team he helped build further.
Fun fact only three head coaches have won a cup with multiple teams

Him going to bat for his assistants is admirable, it’s the timing that I don’t like. By all means make sure you and yours get what you think you deserve, but don’t do it in the middle of the playoffs.

HofT

Sep 4, 2008
Blues were really screwed over by the COVID pause in 2019-20. Blues were 2nd overall in the league and leading their division before the world went tits-up and when the NHL came back it just wasn’t the same. It’s difficult enough to repeat as a champion, even more so when all momentum you had is sapped.
These excuses apply to the Leafs as well.

HofT

Sep 4, 2008
Hardly. The Leafs were in the midst of a mediocre season and lost to a bloody Zamboni driver which kept Dubas from buying at the deadline.
Of course it does. Covid was the main reason why the cap hasn't gone up. But it is what it is at this point. Same with Berube, he doesn't look impressive at this point. Star players also left under his watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad