Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Why would he want to come here if not for a massive overpay. Pretty simple stuff to figure out?
Toronto has been the last stop for so many coaches/players that it’s next to impossible to remember all of them. The Maple Leafs are the organization you end with because they pay for worn out parts……..

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
We don't have to find a seemingly "forever coach" like Keefe. If Berube doesn't work out he can be replaced by a Q, Brindamour, etc. who might have been the first choice had he been available now. Could also look outside the box of used NHL coaches for a "show me" replacement (from US College, Europe, OHL, etc.), even if it's for 1-2 years until we get what we really want.

Last edited:
Reactions: PromisedLand

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I’m sure Babcock took joy in making the Leafs pay him every dime they owed him, and even greater joy watching the young mastermind ruin the team……..

100 freaking percent he is having the last laugh and sipping the finest cognac.

Reactions: HolyCrap

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Best scenario I can conjure:

John Cooper has one more year remaining on his contract.

Leafs "write off" the 2024/2025 season. Hire a temp coach. Simply endure Tavares' contract this coming year. Spend the entire season acquiring/disposing players to get best chemistry fits (including Marner). Make no acquisitions at deadline, focus on gelling and learn each other's style. Finish wherever in the standings (they'll make the playoffs anyway). No hysterical playoff manipulations, let chips fall where they may.

Immediately after 2024/2025 playoff run, open the vault to hire Cooper as head coach.

Then make balls-to-the-wall Stanley Cup push in 2025/2026 and 2026/2027 seasons.

BAM!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Leafs "write off" the 2024/2025 season. Hire a temp coach. Simply endure Tavares' contract this coming year. Spend the entire season acquiring/disposing players to get best chemistry fits (including Marner). Make no acquisitions at deadline, focus on gelling and learn each other's style. Finish wherever in the standings (they'll make the playoffs anyway). No hysterical playoff manipulations, let chips fall where they may.

Immediately after 2024/2025 playoff run, open the vault to hire Cooper as head coach.

Then make balls-to-the-wall Stanley Cup push in 2025/2026 and 2026/2027 seasons.

BAM!

It sounds good. They don't do things that make sense at the Leafs.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Albz

Jun 30, 2018

BAM!
Yea let's waste our players primes....no we get a coach that's available and try to make the playoffs and win. Not just write off a year of our top players

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Winnipeg is going to do what Ottawa did and go the cheaper route - so Scott Arniel it is. Meanwhile, if Jersey wanted to hire Berube they already would have. The Leafs will pay him more than any other team will.

Reactions: horner

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

BAM!
:laugh: I hope you’re kidding, that’s a brutal idea.

Winnipeg is going to do what Ottawa did and go the cheaper route - so Scott Arniel it is. Meanwhile, if Jersey wanted to hire Berube they already would have. The Leafs will pay him more than any other team will.
Perhaps he hasn’t agreed to it in New Jersey, might not be his first choice. Obviously he’ll be coaching somewhere, he can pick and choose.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I’m sure Babcock took joy in making the Leafs pay him every dime they owed him, and even greater joy watching the young mastermind ruin the team……..

How about the joy of being fired before ever coaching a game for Columbus? Just because Dubas was wrong does not make Babcock right. He left the game on a pathetic note, he’s no mastermind either.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
that video poses the question why would Berube even consider the Leafs as his next coaching assignment..........

images

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
How about the joy of being fired before ever coaching a game for Columbus? Just because Dubas was wrong does not make Babcock right. He left the game on a pathetic note, he’s no mastermind either.
I mean, through hook or crook he got Toronto to pay him millions of dollars to sit on his couch. If that's not a mastermind, I don't know what is.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
chatting on leafs

Interesting tid but from this at least for me was:

- team before individuals always
- players that play the game the right way i.e. no floating allowed
- roles must be "defined" and players must adhere to those rolse
- "sometimes player gotta take a bit less for the team to have success" ( that would sit well with the core players LOL)
- character in the locker room is important
- "grind" them out -> babacock philosophy not sure how well that will sit with stat nerds and the core LOL
- last he left out Tavares for "good players the Leafs have" LMAO not sure if that was just an accident or on purpose :laugh:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
News Flash…….I never said he was……..

Reactions: HolyCrap

horner

May 22, 2007
Well, the longer he had the team to teach them his systems, the worse they got.

It is like people claiming Lou is some genius GM with the Islanders, the longer he has the team, the worse they perform.
Berube
63 gp 82 pts on pace for 106 pts
71 gp 94 pts on pace for 108 pts
56 gp 63 pts on pace for 92 pts
82 gp 109 pts
82 gp 81 pts when the started getting rid of players

Not a bad record considering the next 2 yrs after the cup was covid

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Interesting tid but from this at least for me was:

- team before individuals always
- players that play the game the right way i.e. no floating allowed
- roles must be "defined" and players must adhere to those rolse
- "sometimes player gotta take a bit less for the team to have success" ( that would sit well with the core players LOL)
- character in the locker room is important
- "grind" them out -> babacock philosophy not sure how well that will sit with stat nerds and the core LOL
- last he left out Tavares for "good players the Leafs have" LMAO not sure if that was just an accident or on purpose :laugh:
This is the same stuff that every coach says. Is there a coach who says "the individual comes before the team" or "we want players to play the wrong way"?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yea let's waste our players primes....no we get a coach that's available and try to make the playoffs and win. Not just write off a year of our top players

if you think that Leafs are going to win the cup with 4 forwards making 11AAV+ and no true #1D and #1G; especially after seeing 8 years worth of evidence then...

that welll.... what do I even call it... its not being optimistic IMO its just :dunno:

IDEA

Hire Babcock.

Players will be waiving their no-move clauses like no tomorrow.

One part of his clause is that he MUST make marner make lists every day and post it on social media until he waives :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad