Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I said this before and Ill say it again since you want to ignore Bertuzzi was one of the best players for the leafs this series

If bertuzzi with 4 pts in 7 games was a 3M player and 2.5M overpaid

Then big 4 were the below:

Matthews 4 in 5 was worth 7.7M and was 3.93M overpaid (0.8 /(4/7) * 5.5M

Marner 3 in 7 was worth 4.13M ((3/7)/(4/7) * 5.5) and was overpaid 6.8M

Tavares 2 in 7 was worth 2.75M (2/7)/(4/7)*5.5M) amd was overpaid 8.25M

Nylander had 3 in 5 was worth 7.2M and was about 200K underpaid (3/4)/(4/7)*5.5

Core 4 overpayment according to your view of bertuzzi being 2.5M overpaid at 5.5M were = 18.78M overpaid

That is the reason we lost the series. Cant win by paying a 20M group of 4 players 40M

Once again, the core four underperforming does not make the 20M available to Treliving less than 20M.

They can suck, and his signings can be bad, both scenarios can happen.

Also, looking only at points is a pointless exercise.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Once again, the core four underperforming does not make the 20M available to Treliving less than 20M.

I'm at a loss with people wanting Bertuzzi back. He only scored 20 goals playing on the second highest scoring team in the league, and he took more dumb or careless penalties than I can count. If he came back on another one year deal at a cheaper cost, sure, go for it, but I assume he wants the same or more money and more term.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Bertuzzi had a better series than Marner/Tavares by a lot. You want to look at beyond pts well those guys didnt give anything

You arbitrarily (due to your bias) decide that bertuzzi had the impact of a 3M player lool

Did he need to get 6 or 7 pts in 7 games to be worth 5.5M in your eyes?

He led the team in scoring along with domi and Matthews. They were our 3 top forwards followed by Nylander.

The 20M spent by Treliving this summer was worth the money besides Klingberg

Bertuzzi played at 5M player level in the playoffs

Domi played at a 5M level in the playoffs

Benoit played at a 2.5M player in the playoffs

Edmunson played at a 3M plauer in the playoffs

Lybushkin played at a 5M player in the playoffs

Reeves played like a 1M level player come playoffs

These guys were not the reason we lost

Marner,
Tavares,
Rielly,
Samsonov, Woll/Nylander/Matthews health
PP&PK
Jarnkrok, Robertson, and Holmberg
Were the reasons we lost

We got surplus value and impact from the moves made by Trelivng for the playoffs

The core being 20M overpaid kills any chance to win as any surplus value you get from good signings is washed away and turned negative

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I'm at a loss with people wanting Bertuzzi back. He only scored 20 goals playing on the second highest scoring team in the league, and he took more dumb or careless penalties than I can count. If he came back on another one year deal at a cheaper cost, sure, go for it, but I assume he wants the same or more money and more term.
Im with you, have zero interest in bringing bertuzzi back. Warren Foegele could net us 20 for much much less.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I have no real objection to Berube, but the leafs process when making hires is really starting to piss me off. It's downright unprofessional.

Dubas hired Keefe without interviewing anyone.

Shanahan hired Treliving with barely any other interviews. It was leaked that he was getting the job way before anyone was interviewed.

Now it seems like it is Berube, and this has been talked about for months. Likely on two interviews as well.

I do not understand why we are not casting a wider net with these searches. At least do due diligence for God's sake.

This is no way to run an organization.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Bertuzzi had a better series than Marner/Tavares by a lot. You want to look at beyond pts well those guys didnt give anything

You arbitrarily (due to your bias) decide that bertuzzi had the impact of a 3M player lool

Did he need to get 6 or 7 pts in 7 games to be worth 5.5M in your eyes?

He led the team in scoring along with domi and Matthews. They were our 3 top forwards followed by Nylander.

The 20M spent by Treliving this summer was worth the money besides Klingberg

Bertuzzi played at 5M player level in the playoffs

Domi played at a 5M level in the playoffs

Benoit played at a 2.5M player in the playoffs

Edmunson played at a 3M plauer in the playoffs

Lybushkin played at a 5M player in the playoffs

Reeves played like a 1M level player come playoffs

These guys were not the reason we lost

Marner,
Tavares,
Rielly,
Samsonov, Woll/Nylander/Matthews health
PP&PK
Jarnkrok, Robertson, and Holmberg
Were the reasons we lost

We got surplus value and impact from the moves made by Trelivng for the playoffs

The core being 20M overpaid kills any chance to win as any surplus value you get from good signings is washed away and turned negative

Your player evaluation is terrible in my opinion, so we can agree to disagree.

Reactions: thinkblue

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I have no real objection to Berube, but the leafs process when making hires is really starting to piss me off. It's downright unprofessional.

Shanahan hired Treliving with barely any other interviews. It was leaked that he was getting the job way before anyone was interviewed.

Now it seems like it is Berube, and this has been talked about for months. Likely on two interviews as well.

I do not understand why we are not casting a wider net with these searches. At least do due diligence for God's sake.

We have no idea how many interviews were conducted for either position, and they do have to move quickly on a coach before another team makes and offer and scoops someone.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
9 points in the first 3rd of the season and 21 in the last 3rd. It either took him a while to get comfortable or it took a while for Keefe to figure out how to best use him. I think he is the late season guy and will have a better year for the club but only for the right price.

Reactions: Jmo89

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna

Yep, a lot of people are blaming the players. For me ALL the blame falls on management.

TonsofPuppies

Pack your shit, Shanny!
Jun 28, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Yep, a lot of people are blaming the players. For me ALL the blame falls on management.
Agreed. The players would have been at fault for the first few years of this nonsense, basically up until the Montreal series. At that point, it was management's job to step in and break up this group, because it simply doesn't work. If a manager continues to employ a bad employee with a bad track record, that is on them, not the employee anymore.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

I would normally agree with you, but when there is a clear cut candidate available and time is of the essence, I don't mind if the organization fast tracks the process to hire the right person.

1715620368046.png

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Focus your complaints people.

Sure old man JT wasn’t great - that’s predictable. And unmovable.

It’s Marner that has to move on. He’s a God and he shouldn’t have to play with mere mortal Leaf players. respect his authority.

They've gotten out from under allegedly unmovable contracts before.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I just don't see the playoffs going any differently next year if they can't convince Marner to waive and bring back the core 4 plus a new coach. Coach still needs horses.
I could see them being tempted to run it back because the following season JT comes off the books and there's your natural rebalance of salary from F to D. Losing Marner this year and JT next year is kind've a scary thought.

Reactions: cupdreaming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad