Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Fanduel was offering 2.40 for Berube being Leafs head coach, minutes after Friedman told Jeff Marek that he expected Berube would be the next Leafs coach.

Fair to say I threw a tidy sprinkle on it - if the Leafs are going to make a choice I don't like, might as well profit off of it.

Berube feels like Carlyle 2.0. The Dave Bolland of head coaches.

Reactions: Jmo89

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I find it very weird that he cant get an interview with anyone. His runs with the Rangers, Knights and Panthers were all pretty good

His style of play is also very similar to how Treliving wants it

Pretty much a done deal at this point

I think there are off-ice issues with him, mostly butts heads with management and players don't apparently like him. Many teams are passing on him for a reason.

That's two meetings for Berube

Yeah Berube is gonna be the guy. This is the Treliving smoke all over again.

Reactions: Menzinger

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Tbh, it is a little bizarre to me that Woodcroft doesn't seem to be getting any consideration or press as a candidate. I guess they want someone with a bit more pedigree / history, but Woodcroft did a good job in Edmonton and elevated the team's overall performance to at least be a consistent top team in the Pacific and really leaned into the strengths of the team (offense) instead of trying to force them to be something they weren't like Tippett and others before him. He brought respectability back to the team after they were sputtering out between 2017-2021 where they weren't even consistently making the playoffs and they played poorly when they did get there (e.g. Jets sweep in 2021). IMO he got the best he could've out of the group given their trash D and goaltending - he got the Oilers to the WCF with a 40 yr old Mike Smith in net and a D that had Nurse, the corpse of Duncan Keith, Barrie, Ceci, rookie Bouchard and Kulak as its main playoff group.

Given the way this team is built and its PP woes I would think Woodcroft could actually get some good results.

Reactions: stickty111

KaN19

Jun 25, 2023
Treliving was the biggest name on the GM market last summer and we hired him without conducting a real search. We're doing the same now with Berube for the head coaching position.

This organization isn't looking to hit home runs anymore. We're going for the safe veteran hires.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Berube is the type of coach Treliving likes. Hard and relentless forechecking and gritty style of play.

Which is whats needed in the playoffs and what Treliving alluded to in the press conference last week

Who in core 4 plays gritty style of game? Unless Tre can get Marner to waive, you can just flush next season regardless.

Reactions: Jmo89

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Treliving was the biggest name on the GM market last summer and we hired him without conducting a real search. We're doing the same now with Berube for the head coaching position.

This organization isn't looking to hit home runs anymore. We're going for the safe veteran hires.
How can you be sure they are not conducting a real search?

Reactions: Buds17

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
20M isnt much when the core 4 is 20M overpaid come playoff time

20M doesn't change in value because of what others are paid, I am just stating what he has to work with.

It isn't like his signings outplayed their contracts... for example, he signed Bertuzzi to $5.5 million and he was a $3 million player in the playoffs.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

It's like MLSE has turned into a bunch of middle managers hiring a law firm. Don't worry about skill, expertise or cost. Discard proper diligence and just hire the biggest name available, so that if things go off the rails you can proclaim that it wasn't your fault because you hired the best available.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It's like MLSE has turned into a bunch of middle managers hiring a law firm. Don't worry about skill, expertise or cost. Discard proper diligence and just hire the biggest name available, so that if things go off the rails you can proclaim that it wasn't your fault because you hired the best available.

It was our free agent strategy too.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
20M doesn't change in value because of what others are paid, I am just stating what he has to work with.

It isn't like his signings outplayed their contracts... for example, he signed Bertuzzi to $5.5 million and he was a $3 million player in the playoffs.
I said this before and Ill say it again since you want to ignore Bertuzzi was one of the best players for the leafs this series

If bertuzzi with 4 pts in 7 games was a 3M player and 2.5M overpaid

Then big 4 were the below:

Matthews 4 in 5 was worth 7.7M and was 3.93M overpaid (0.8 /(4/7) * 5.5M

Marner 3 in 7 was worth 4.13M ((3/7)/(4/7) * 5.5) and was overpaid 6.8M

Tavares 2 in 7 was worth 2.75M (2/7)/(4/7)*5.5M) amd was overpaid 8.25M

Nylander had 3 in 5 was worth 7.2M and was about 200K underpaid (3/4)/(4/7)*5.5

Core 4 overpayment according to your view of bertuzzi being 2.5M overpaid at 5.5M were = 18.78M overpaid

That is the reason we lost the series. Cant win by paying a 20M group of 4 players 40M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad