Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018

He has been out long enough.

But in order to bring him back to the NHL, he would need the blessing of Bettman and his first lieutenant, Bill Daly.

Word from some of Quenneville’s hockey friends in Florida, where he lives, is that he would welcome a return to coaching and more than welcome a return to the Maple Leafs, the team that first drafted him into the NHL in 1978.

There long has been a connection between Quenneville and the Leafs. He grew up in Windsor, was drafted in the second round by the Leafs in 1978. He later became a throw-in of sorts in the controversial trade that sent Lanny McDonald to Colorado.

Against his better judgment, he was convinced to become a coach by former Leafs GM Cliff Fletcher. He first coaching job in hockey: He worked for the Leafs AHL farm team in St. John’s as a playing assistant for Marc Crawford.

At the time, Fletcher sort of joked that “our best prospects in St. John’s were the coaches,” both of whom would later win Stanley Cups for other franchises. Quenneville would win his first Cup as an assistant with Crawford the year after the Quebec franchise moved to Colorado.

Quenneville is a strong, more proven candidate than any of the names that will be thrown around in the next few days. He’s a better candidate than Berube, than Bruce Boudreau, than Gerard Gallant, than Claude Julien, than Todd McLellan, than Jay Woodcroft, than Guy Boucher (a longtime Shanahan favourite), than Dean Evason.

If somehow Carolina’s Rod Brind’Amour was a free agent, then that changes everything. But if Brind’Amour stays where he is, the Leafs need to hire the best to replace Keefe.

Reactions: Frostitute

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Brian Hayes on TSN now

" Do they have the stomach to wait to see what happens to Rod Brind Amour ?
Treliving has to monitor it "

I hope we do. Not crazy about Berube and forget Todd lol
Personally I don’t think Rod will be available, but if he is I’d make him plan A and Gallant plan B……..

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
2 year extension didn't even kick in - LOL first stupid decision of Treliving LOL; if I am MLSE I am asking Treliving WTF was that all about? We are done paying for coaches to sit home :laugh:
Because you never want the coach to go into the season with an expiring contract; he'll start making decisions solely designed to save his own job. I'd say it didn't really help here (Keefe was clearly making decisions designed to save his job at the end), but that's the logic behind it.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Because you never want the coach to go into the season with an expiring contract; he'll start making decisions solely designed to save his own job. I'd say it didn't really help here (Keefe was clearly making decisions designed to save his job at the end), but that's the logic behind it.
I get that logic if you're a rebuilding team and want to play the kids. But when you're supposedly a contender, wouldn't your coach trying to save his job correlate with the team goal of winning playoff games?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'd be incredibly surprised if they were to admit publicly they have any plans to trade anyone, they wouldn't want to be painted into a corner.

That said, obviously doesn't mean they still won't triple down on the correct. I just don't expect them to say anything out loud
The "tell" would be saying they WONT change the core

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Like what? The only way to save his job is to win lol, I would hope he’s making decisions solely designed to save his own job by winning playoff series.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
For the first time in my life I can say with certainty, and it was clear to me there were fewer people on this board this year though I don't have quantitative data to reinforce this conclusion; if the Leafs re-sign Marner to an extension they will lose many fans.
Well I'm guessing you may find a bunch on the Pens board. But why bother looking

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
But who does the coach have to answer to when making decisions? And who has the ultimate say?
The ultimate say on what? The coach is responsible for getting a team playing to their potential. Personnel decisions are a GM call. If the GM believes a team underperformed expectations, the coach goes. It's not that tough.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Marner has a victim mentality. He's one of the most privileged humans on the planet. He needs to get over himself.

Sheldon has a new job soon.
I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I kind of feel sorry for him. It is quite obvious that he has always been held up on a pedestal (although I also believe that his dad was extremely hard on him). But in saying that, he is now 27 years old, and he needs to realize that this isn’t right, as well as not everyone is out to get him. What’s the saying, “he needs to take responsibility for his actions”.

I agree, Sheldon will have a new job soon, possibly before the playoffs are even over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad