Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Berube seems to be the logical choice. Didn't Berube say he would love to coach the leafs on TV or something like that? I was something super obvious like that.

This was earlier this season after he got fired by the blues.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Keefe could have said what reality is, the top end guys are soft, scared and have no pride in winning playoff hockey. He didnt go there, he took the brunt of the downfalls this teams has and no coach could fix.

Reactions: Al14 and socko

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
They said that the Marner camp would be open to discussing a possible trade, and that he would have been okay if they had traded him last year. One big problem is that Marner has struggled when talking to reporters (he immediately puts up a wall with them because he feels they are blaming him/core for all the playoff failures)).
wow, the kid is very f**king perceptive isn't he.............

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Evanson is the scray looking dude right?
He's one of my choices that's available.

Between the WHL, AHL, and NHL, he's 1-14 in playoff series, having only made it to the 2nd round once in 14 years of making the playoffs.

That's a bit concercerning.

• Wow
Reactions: Metroid

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'd be surprised if Sullivan would have Keefe as a assistant, and I doubt Keefe takes a step back in the coaching ranks. He'll get another gig when he wants..........

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
why I want a no nonsense coach, they'll bet to be traded..........
Beg? There is no doubt the love story is over. No more tender kisses and hair stroking or even holding hands. They milked until the cow died. You want the truth? Most want Marner gone.

Reactions: Al14

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
No, the defintion of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Once again the Leafs look at things backwards.What if Woll started based on Samsonovs horrible playoff numbers? Any math, above grade 4, could spot the weakness. We let in too many soft goals while they kept out some hard ones. We always say if we just had more offense... Its if we just played defense and had a goalie. The Dubas model is broken. You dont outscore the opposition, you let less goals in. Switch Swayman and Samsonov. Leafs win that series easy. Samsonov was never the answer. You keep saying if we just scored 2 more per game. Its if we just didnt let in one softie per game. Samsonov will never win you a cup ever. 6 and 14 with a .894 save percentage. The Leafs got outplayed in goal. Their defense isnt even average. But you want to outscore the other guy. Wrong outlook. The Leafs playoff record proves that. You need to win games 2 to 1 in OT. That means keep goals out.
Boston only beat Toronto once (Game 7) when scoring two goals in a game though. IIRC, Boston outscored Toronto by a margin of 18-12 over the seven games. I'm not convinced that conceding 18 goals is quite the same problem that only scoring twelve is.

Reactions: myleafs

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
My top 2 choices are Craig Berube and Claude Julien, with Claude number 1 for me.

I think Claude laid the defensive fundamentals and identity for the Bruins and was well liked as a player. He can be a great coach for us who can have us play a playoff style right from the regular season which is a style we should adapt.

Heavy forecheck style hockey is what we need!
I'd be okay with Claude........

I think the reason Hyman didn’t do it here is because he was basically a grunt on the first line. Go in the corner, dig the puck out and make sure you get it to Marner or Matthews. In my humble opinion he was rarely given equal opportunity other then most fans who admired hard working players
winner winner chicken dinner...........

Reactions: Racer88

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Screenshot-2024-05-09-161418.png

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Just watched the Keefe video message he sent out. Hate him or love him that was classy.

They needed to move on a long while ago but I appreciate that and hope he does well else where. Just not when the Leafs play whatever team he coaches.
Thought the same when I saw it

I heard one of the radio stations talking about news breaking and how messages get related nowadays and it also made me wonder if part of that is the reason locker clean-out feels empty. Any juicy details will come through a podcast, instagram, type scenario rather than a typical interview.

Kyper says calls made to Berube, McLellan and Joel Q.
Feels like Q would need to be in play if he got a call

Reactions: Burnie97

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I really hope Berube works out, I mean Disco Dan Bylsma won a cup too...
Hiring a proven winner rarely works out.

Only 3 coaches have won cups with multiple teams

Scotty Bowman (Mtl, Pens, wings)
Tommy Gorman (Hawks in 1934 and Mtl maroons in 1935)
Dick irvin (won 1 with Leafs in 32 and the 3 with Mtl (44,46,53) he also lost in finals 12 times

So unless you can bring Scotty out of retirement, I don't think it matters if the guy has been there done that as odds are he won't do it again.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Berube seems to be the logical choice. Didn't Berube say he would love to coach the leafs on TV or something like that? I was something super obvious like that.

This was earlier this season after he got fired by the blues.
Our future coach?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
t's odd that Shanahan was willing to pivot from Lou and Babcock so quickly, but so stubborn with Dubas and Keefe.
I thought it was Lou who WANTED to go to work for the Islanders WITH HIS SON.

Reactions: Jojalu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad