Sheldon Keefe appreciation thread

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Why would any NHL team hire Keefe? He was a coach killer as a player and uses scare tactics as a coach. Guess what? Scare tactics don't work at the NHL level, when you are dealing with millionaires.

No respectable NHL organization would hire Keefe for the big club.. nor should they.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
I am kinda done with Smith, his D corps got owned. Keefe to asst.

Considering the pathetic talent he had to work with, Smith did a tremendous job. You can't polish a turd, but he sure did he best to make them into a respectable unit.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Why would any NHL team hire Keefe? He was a coach killer as a player and uses scare tactics as a coach. Guess what? Scare tactics don't work at the NHL level, when you are dealing with millionaires.

No respectable NHL organization would hire Keefe for the big club.. nor should they.

He is way better then non NHL Assistant GM Dave Poulin. He is an pathetic dino. No wonder NHL teams dont want him. He uses great coaching tactics to win. You cant accept he is amazing.
Sorry your upset your Oilolers have a horrendous farm system.

McDavid regretting signing his extension?

Reactions: Kelly

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Considering the pathetic talent he had to work with, Smith did a tremendous job. You can't polish a turd, but he sure did he best to make them into a respectable unit.
Considering the ECHL level talent Todd Mac had, he sure makes them look respectful. Oilers are in a worse spot then the Leafs.

Reactions: Kelly

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

He is amazing. You dont like reality that Keefe is terrific. Why would anyone want Peter disasterrelli as GM. He is a terrible trader and uses ancient tactics as a GM. Guess what, only bad teams like Edmonton would accept him.
Nobody respectful will hire him as GM unless they want to ruin their franchise.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He is amazing. You dont like reality that Keefe is terrific. Why would anyone want Peter disasterrelli as GM. He is a terrible trader and uses ancient tactics as a GM. Guess what, only bad teams like Edmonton would accept him.
Nobody respectful will hire him as GM unless they want to ruin their franchise.
Even though at the time Toronto did not have a GM when the Oilers hired Chiarelli as their GM, I was happy they didn't talk with him. I still remember Chiarelli saying if the Oilers weren't about to draft McDavid chances are he might not have accepted the job with them. That shows a lot about his true character.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Old thread bumped
2 sweeps which very few people saw coming, and he isn't afraid to play young players.
Keefe's playoff record
37-17
Babcock's playoff record
8-12

Reactions: Al14 and SAMCRO44

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Of all the guys coaching in pro hockey Sheldon surprises me the most. He grew up a very tough troubled youth and was a real sh*t disturber in Barrie. Loads of talent with a very short fuse. Some of the training stuff i heard about was crazy. Like hanging from a tree branch with your fingers while getting beat with a stick and verbally abused about being soft. or the repeated punches to the shoulder back and forth between team-mates before games to see who was first guy to say momma. He grew up in an old school mentally deranged hockey family like I did but when i grew up in it it was still ok to take a goalie stick in full windup to the *ss and hands. When he grew up it was a non starter. But i must admit he has really grown up. He does not lose it anymore. He is totally composed and not a short fuse. He plays to win and goes with his best that game irrespective of anything else. He was always a TEAM first guy and that is same today. But i would never had guessed he would become a top notch coach. Good for him he deserves it.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
He is way better then non NHL Assistant GM Dave Poulin. He is an pathetic dino. No wonder NHL teams dont want him. He uses great coaching tactics to win. You cant accept he is amazing.
Sorry your upset your Oilolers have a horrendous farm system.

McDavid regretting signing his extension?
well Mathews will be leaving by the time McDavid is ready to give the leafs their hometown discount

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Rapid adaption and working with younger players is his best qualities and he loves to ride his first pp unit.

I'd wager hes going to make whatever NHL team that hires him very happy with the decision

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
The thing that continues to baffle me is that the Marlies copy the Leafs systems every year yet they execute them so much better on ever level.

I have a really hard time believing that a bunch of kids can stick to a system better than NHL players on a day to day basis.

So it comes down to coaching and player usage. Keefe some how gets the best out of his roster year after year come crunch time despite way more roster challenges and a constant influx of players while Babcock just continues his same old stubborn ways.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The thing that continues to baffle me is that the Marlies copy the Leafs systems every year yet they execute them so much better on ever level.

I have a really hard time believing that a bunch of kids can stick to a system better than NHL players on a day to day basis.

So it comes down to coaching and player usage. Keefe some how gets the best out of his roster year after year come crunch time despite way more roster challenges and a constant influx of players while Babcock just continues his same old stubborn ways.

And complains about depth and losing players
Other than money, no idea why they're keeping him around

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
And complains about depth and losing players
Other than money, no idea why they're keeping him around
I wonder if they feel they can trade him? lol
Not sure if thats still allowed under the CBA.

Should be a short leash this year and if he can't change his ways then cut ties around the deadline and let Keefe lead this team into the playoffs.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
All I’m going to say is if we let him go because we want to give Babcock another year to figure things out, we are going to regret it for a long time.

We should have won the east this year with Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Rielly, Muzzin, Nylander, and Andersen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad