Proposal: Sheary for Top4 LD

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sheary holds pretty much no value. Every team has guys like him on their team and the most he would get would be a 3rd rounder to the Pens could clear some cap.

Dmen are also at a premium atm and most teams aren't trading them.

I mean, no. That's just demonstrably false.

Michael Del Zotto comeon down! You’re the next contestant on Make this Defenceman good again Pitts!

Del Zotto for Sheary is actually a pretty solid deal, to be honest. I'd be satisfied with that swap.

Reactions: domaug

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I mean, no. That's just demonstrably false.

Del Zotto for Sheary is actually a pretty solid deal, to be honest. I'd be satisfied with that swap.

The point is that he isn't good enough for teams to be that interested. There's nothing special about him that you couldn't get anywhere else.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The point is that he isn't good enough for teams to be that interested. There's nothing special about him that you couldn't get anywhere else.

Okay, where can you easily get a guy capable of giving you 20 ES goals a season somewhere else for cheaper? You're grossly underrating Sheary, he's a solid 3rd line offensive player who can chip in anywhere between 20-25 goals and 35-45 points over a full season.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Sheary holds pretty much no value. Every team has guys like him on their team and the most he would get would be a 3rd rounder to the Pens could clear some cap.

Guys who can score 16 ES goals in a 'bad' season? Sheary is a fast, skilled winger who can hang onto the puck and make plays. And more importantly, he has the ability to move up the roster and play with other skilled players.

Skilled 3rd liners who produce and are paid like 3rd liners won't have a ton of value, but still do hold value.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Okay, where can you easily get a guy capable of giving you 20 ES goals a season somewhere else for cheaper? You're grossly underrating Sheary, he's a solid 3rd line offensive player who can chip in anywhere between 20-25 goals and 35-45 points over a full season.

First the pens have so much skill no team is going to expect those numbers on their team. In general though small scoring 3rd liners just have never held much value, especially when they are overpaid for what they are like Sheary.

18 goals and 12 assists isn't really anything special, those are depth player numbers and usually depth guys can fill other rolls such as PK or add a physicality element. He also has a very high SH%.

He's with guys like Byron, Wood, Perlini, B Mcginn, Nieto, Lewis, Helm, etc. except a bunch of those guys have a better all around game.

If you want more depth you can get guys for cheap in UFA, or give that ice time to a up and coming prospect. I definitely get why Pit would want to move him but I don't see what team out there would want him, let along give up anything of value for him.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
i want Calvin de Haan. i think this would honestly be my favorite scenario.

I honestly think he and Letang would fit very well together

Might not quite get a 2nd with Hunwick watering down Sheary's value but it would be close to it I'd assume, someone like Buffalo, Florida or Arizona might bite I'd think

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Guys who can score 16 ES goals in a 'bad' season? Sheary is a fast, skilled winger who can hang onto the puck and make plays. And more importantly, he has the ability to move up the roster and play with other skilled players.

Skilled 3rd liners who produce and are paid like 3rd liners won't have a ton of value, but still do hold value.

Skill and speed is great but most players in the NHL could put up the same number when you have an elite player like Crosby, Malkin and Kessel on each of your top 3 lines. Also its not like Pit is stacked on the wing, him falling down an already weak depth chart shows everything anyone who doesn't follow the team needs to know. Those that do already know what he is and why he isn't that special.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He's an offensive dman. Can really skate and pass, good on the PP. Needs a lot of work defensively though so he needs to be sheltered 5-on-5 and I'm not sure if that's salvageable.

That's not really the type of guy the Pens need more of, though. They already have Oleksiak, who can be an adventure in the defensive zone, along with Schultz, who got better but still isn't more than about average defensely.

Pens need puck movers to fit their style, but those puck movers also need to be at least solid defensively.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think it is tougher to trade Hunwick than it is to trade Sheary.

I think Sheary has value to teams who want to get younger and faster. For example EDM, where he could play with McDavid, which wpuld be an insane fast and creative duo.

*sigh*

If your guy would only be passable with McDavid, we don’t want him there, if at all - and we’re definitely not talking about a defenceman more significant than Russell/Sekera.

RNH had 18 points in 16 games with McDavid. He’s not getting dislodged from his LW anytime soon.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
But didn't he have his best season the one before that? Don't you think he can bounce back?
his seasons are misleading. he puts up the points but he's never been good in his own zone and turns the puck over way too many times. he makes the leafs a worse defensive team because he gives up possession and makes our team play in their own zone more than they would like. he's also just more of what he already have, which is a puck moving weak defensive blueliner, and he's older than the blueliners i'm referring to. hes also gonna warrant some big bucks on his next deal in a year from now that i have no interest in wanting him to get paid. sheary would be a good fit in toronto because he would add some scoring that we are going to need when jvr and bozak leave. he's also not very expensive, fast, skilled and is quality left winger that we could use.

Reactions: Deam78

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Not saying people are wrong, but Sheary is an NHLer. Most mid-second rounders aren't. Value seems off.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
his seasons are misleading. he puts up the points but he's never been good in his own zone and turns the puck over way too many times. he makes the leafs a worse defensive team because he gives up possession and makes our team play in their own zone more than they would like. he's also just more of what he already have, which is a puck moving weak defensive blueliner, and he's older than the blueliners i'm referring to. hes also gonna warrant some big bucks on his next deal in a year from now that i have no interest in wanting him to get paid. sheary would be a good fit in toronto because he would add some scoring that we are going to need when jvr and bozak leave. he's also not very expensive, fast, skilled and is quality left winger that we could use.
If other leafs fans would be on board I would make this deal from the Pens

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I wouldn't trade Gardiner for Sheary. We don't need wingers and our D has more issues than Gardiner's occasional brainfarts.
gardiner is a big part of those issues. losing him would help resolve those issues

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Not saying people are wrong, but Sheary is an NHLer. Most mid-second rounders aren't. Value seems off.

Are you suggesting he is worth a 1st or a high second? If so boy I’m telling you now that is hilariously awful overvaluing for a player that wouldn’t even make the top 6 on a majority of teams.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think Sheary's value is that of a 4/5 dman. Using Penguins as an example, I think he's worth an Ian Cole like dman. Someone who is a solid #5 or a meh #4 but can fill in just fine. Would prefer a RD.

Some suggestions here: CDH, MDZ, Petrovic, Pysyk are actually pretty decent values for both teams.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Are you suggesting he is worth a 1st or a high second? If so boy I’m telling you now that is hilariously awful overvaluing for a player that wouldn’t even make the top 6 on good 75% of teams likely even higher.

Tatar returned a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick.

His stats the past two seasons:
25-21-46
16-12-28 (time of the trade)

Sheary's stats over the past couple of seasons:
23-30-53
18-12-30

Tatar's obviously got a better overall resume, but if you compare the two since Sheary played his first full NHL season, their numbers are similar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->