Proposal: Sheary for Top4 LD

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Why do you think so? How about PIT adding a little+, not named Sprong?
If you want a top 4 D for Sheary, I hate to break it to you, but Sprong would likely have to be that plus and even then, I'm not sure you land a good top 4 defenseman.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
the pens have little left after not named sprong.

Sheary is worth a 2nd on a good day a 3rd on most others.

best bet is to trade sheary and hunwick an sign a solid ld

I think it is tougher to trade Hunwick than it is to trade Sheary.

I think Sheary has value to teams who want to get younger and faster. For example EDM, where he could play with McDavid, which wpuld be an insane fast and creative duo.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
If you want a top 4 D for Sheary, I hate to break it to you, but Sprong would likely have to be that plus and even then, I'm not sure you land a good top 4 defenseman.

With trading Sprong you create a hole in the top9. Sprong is not available at all.

Nice nickname btw!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
With trading Sprong you create a hole in the top9. Sprong is not available at all.

Nice nickname btw!
To be fair, any team trading a top 4 D would be creating a hole in their blueline; a significantly bigger hole than the one created by a rookie winger and Sheary.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
To be fair, any team trading a top 4 D would be creating a hole in their blueline; a significantly bigger hole than the one created by a rookie winger and Sheary.

I guess this is how trading works, but a team which is pretty deep at D could move a top4 LD if scoring is needed. Maybe it's not a top4 by now but a #5 with upside. Pens are known for making players like Schultz, Niskanen and Oleksiak steady players, thanks to Gonchar.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I guess this is how trading works, but a team which is pretty deep at D could move a top4 LD if scoring is needed. Maybe it's not a top4 by now but a #5 with upside. Pens are known for making players like Schultz, Niskanen and Oleksiak steady players, thanks to Gonchar.
Very few teams can seamlessly trade a top 4 D though. I think the Flames could trade a top 4 D in Brodie this summer, in order to add some offense; but I'm not sure I'd even bite on Sheary + Sprong as the return because neither is a sure thing to produce.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

This gave me an idea. A 3-way trade:

- Pittsburgh acquires Mike Reilly + LA 4th round pick
- Edmonton acquires Conor Sheary
- Montreal acquires conditional EDM 2nd/3rd round pick, depending on Sheary's production next year.

Pens shed some salary and add a guy with still some tiny top 4 upside the Pens could realize, Habs get a pick upgrade (don't think Reilly is really needed here) and Oilers get their much needed depth scoring.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

- Montreal acquires conditional EDM 2nd/3rd round pick, depending on Sheary's production next year.

Pens shed some salary and add a guy with still some tiny top 4 upside the Pens could realize, Habs get a pick upgrade (don't think Reilly is really needed here) and Oilers get their much needed depth scoring.
Since the Habs are kind of in a selling mode, wouldn't Jordie Benn make more sense to deal as he is 30? Something built around Benn and Sheary, then the Habs could flip Sheary for picks/prospects if they so choose.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Since the Habs are kind of in a selling mode, wouldn't Jordie Benn make more sense to deal as he is 30? Something built around Benn and Sheary, then the Habs could flip Sheary for picks/prospects if they so choose.

If the Pens are looking for someone with top 4 upside, Jordie Benn is as far from an answer as it gets.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne

Would you mind to give a scouting report on Mike Reilly?

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Would you mind to give a scouting report on Mike Reilly?

He's an offensive dman. Can really skate and pass, good on the PP. Needs a lot of work defensively though so he needs to be sheltered 5-on-5 and I'm not sure if that's salvageable.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Trade a 7th to Dallas for Hamhuis' rights and sign him before he hits free agency. Pens like ex-Stars defensemen, right?:D
they tried that for Hamhuis before. ended up trading his rights to the Flyers because he wouldn't sign with them.

much different situations now, of course, but it's interesting to hear this name again.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
He's an offensive dman. Can really skate and pass, good on the PP. Needs a lot of work defensively though so he needs to be sheltered 5-on-5 and I'm not sure if that's salvageable.
meh, that doesn't work then for the Pens. they need a defensively strong D-man.

Sheary is probably only worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder plus a warm body.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

This is pretty horrendous for the Penguins. Reilly sucks and that's a massive undersell for Sheary.

Sheary's value is a mid 2nd straight up, maybe a little bit higher. He's really underrated by Penguins fans on here because of how much he fell off from last season, but he still scores a good amount of goals at ES. He's a 3rd liner that produces like a 3rd liner and is paid like a 3rd liner. He could probably pull off a guy like Pysyk or Petrovic straight up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad