Confirmed with Link: Sheahan and '18 5th round pick to the Penguins for Scott Wilson and 3rd round pick in '18

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
60 points his first 120 games was actually nearly the exact same as Kuznetsov’s first 120.

Obviously lower ceiling, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he puts up 15g 20A with Pitts. It’s clear he had a Mental block in Detroit.

wouldn't surprise me at all

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Going to laugh when I run into him at the grocery store.

60 points his first 120 games was actually nearly the exact same as Kuznetsov’s first 120.

Obviously lower ceiling, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he puts up 15g 20A with Pitts. It’s clear he had a Mental block in Detroit.

He’s not THAT bad. I know it was fun to bag on him last year and whatnot.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pittsburgh heard about his trade and lost all their confidence. Tampa is beating them 6-0 right now.

Cryptonite-Sheahan is coming.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Well atleast a trade (well two to be exact) happend during the season, albeit not impact players but ya know - decent players... that NEVER happens here... for that fact alone, I like this.

Reactions: Filppula

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I don't mind the Sproul deal, but I don't get the need to trade Sheahan.
Bad as he was last year and as poor as his start is this year, we're losing a fairly cheap, 6'3, 210-pound center who has shown the ability to play both sides of the puck.

Helm. Trade him.
Nielsen. Trade him.

Sheahan? Kind of far down on my list of guys who need to be moved.

Ken Holland made this move because it was the easy move.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Beautiful trade

We get a similar player (might end up worse but still) and a higher pick

Also this will get sheahan away from blash Who killed his production

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Wilson has stood out to me a couple times for the Pens so I’m happy with the move.

Also, it’s nice to finally be free of the nagging hope that Smith, Jurco, Sheahan, and Sproul would ever turn out for us.
I've noticed him too when watching pens games. I've watched every wings game this season and I don't think I've seen sheahan once

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Bad as he was last year and as poor as his start is this year, we're losing a fairly cheap, 6'3, 210-pound center who has shown the ability to play both sides of the puck.

Helm. Trade him.
Nielsen. Trade him.

no one wants them. We needed cap space, and Sheahan was probably the only guy who could give us the required cap space who could be moved for a reasonable return.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
no one wants them. We needed cap space, and Sheahan was probably the only guy who could give us the required cap space who could be moved for a reasonable return.

Holland has had since when? Since Daley signed?

Poor previous performance is no excuse for not finding a way to get things done today.

If you can't find a taker for Helm at $4M, eat a million.

Holland needs to start solving the serious cap crunch he's about to have. He can't do it if he continues under the delusion that the Red Wings are a playoff team.

The only seemingly automatic payroll reduction next year is Mike Green.
That's $6M.

Maybe Petr Mrazek goes. Maybe not.
What if Howard flounders and Mrazek is the guy giving us a chance to win.

But if Mrazek stays - say around $4M - Then what?

Here are your RFAs:
Athanasiou - $1.4M to?
Larkin $925,000 to ?
Mantha $863,000 to?
Frk $650,000 to?
Scott Wilson $625,000 to?

Larkin is averaging a point per game. I don't honestly think he's playing like a point per game guy. But what if he scored 50 points? Wings are gonna lock him up. I can see him getting a $5M/Y deal. I can't see the Wings f***ing around with him like they did with Athanasiou.
I expect a minimum 2Y $3M deal.
Maximum 7Y and $6M
So there's an extra $2M to 5M.

Mantha is on pace for 30 goals and 40 assists. I don't see that happening.
But I can see 23G-25A. In which case he's going to get somewhere near Larkin numbers. THough I don't expect Holland will go for two long term deals. So maybe 2 years, $3 or $3.5M

Now you're at $4.5M or so minimum.

Better hold that salary on Athanasiou. But if he produces, the arbitrator won't help Detroit.

We know this crunch was coming.
We knew this before the Daley signing. Holland signed him anyways.

Holland needs to be working the phones on a regular basis trying to unload Howard, Helm, Ericsson, Nielsen even if it means eating some contract.

There are some desperate teams out there.
Montreal is desperate. I can see them taking Nielsen at C.
Boston lost Rask.

Edmonton could be hitting panic mode soon.
The Coyotes are a disgrace.

Trading away a youngish, RFA C making $2M a year seems like a patch, not a solution.

Oct 18, 2006

I agree, I think he could reach those numbers.

But when he was drafted, I heard interviews from our scouts saying IF the offensive side progresses, he could be elite. I think they envisioned him hitting 60 points, which obviously he's nowhere near. He's a solid guy, doesn't make mistakes, sound defensively, but doesn't have the hunger, hands or smarts to be a great offensive guy. Could certainly see him hover around 30 points a season though, and if those are your expectations, then great. But for where he was taken, we had hoped for more.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Daley could be traded this season if the Wings are out of it. His cap hit isn't big he's a great depth player for a playoff run. Wouldn't surprise me if Pittsburgh comes calling again for him.

If they buyout Ericcson this offseason they save about $2.8 million or so on the cap for a few seasons.

They'll save another million on the Weiss buyout.

I don't think it'll be hard to fit everyone in next season.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI

Poor previous performance is no excuse for not finding a way to get things done today.

Holland needs to start solving the serious cap crunch he's about to have. He can't do it if he continues under the delusion that the Red Wings are a playoff team.

That's $6M.

Here are your RFAs:
Athanasiou - $1.4M to?
Larkin $925,000 to ?
Mantha $863,000 to?
Frk $650,000 to?

Larkin is averaging a point per game. I don't honestly think he's playing like a point per game guy. But what if he scored 50 points? Wings are gonna lock him up. I can see him getting a $5M/Y deal. I can't see the Wings ****ing around with him like they did with Athanasiou.
Maximum 7Y and $6M

But I can see 23G-25A. In which case he's going to get somewhere near Larkin numbers. THough I don't expect Holland will go for two long term deals. So maybe 2 years, $3 or $3.5M

Better hold that salary on Athanasiou. But if he produces, the arbitrator won't help Detroit.

Holland needs to be working the phones on a regular basis trying to unload Howard, Helm, Ericsson, Nielsen even if it means eating some contract.

Boston lost Rask.

Trading away a youngish, RFA C making $2M a year seems like a patch, not a solution.

Well Ericsson has a no trade, I really dont think Kronbad will be here through the end of the year.
Mrazek is going no where, Wilson will not be here.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Big news! I agree with everybody, great trade by Holland. Didn't realize Wilson had 26 points last season- not too shabby. I feel bad for Sheahan though. I don't see him reviving his career and he could easily become a whipping boy for Pens fans.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Helm. Trade him.
Nielsen. Trade him.

In all fairness trading the contracts of Helm or Nielsen would be very hard, especially under the time constraints of getting AA officially under contract. Also, if we could get rid of bad contracts, their are two poorer performing and worse contracts in Dekeyser and Abdelkader. Helm is absolutely more valuable to the Wings than Abdelkader is. Helm fore-checks quite well, forces bad turnovers from the opposition and draws penalties cause of his speed. Abdelkader is supposed to be a physical power forward type, but he almost never hits, isn't playing overly physical and only scores when Zetterberg banks the puck off his stick to perfection.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Daley could be traded this season if the Wings are out of it. His cap hit isn't big he's a great depth player for a playoff run. Wouldn't surprise me if Pittsburgh comes calling again for him.

If they buyout Ericcson this offseason they save about $2.8 million or so on the cap for a few seasons.

They'll save another million on the Weiss buyout.

I don't think it'll be hard to fit everyone in next season.

I think we will be fine, even without buying out Ericsson, as he is still at least serviceable on the blue line, wish he played fewer minutes per game though. Sounds like Kronwall is really doing worse physically than we even think, and may very well retire after this season, so his money covers most of at least either Larkin or Mantha. I feel like Daley is here until at least next year, as we will need someone at least halfway decent to play a large amount of minutes, as Green won't likely be here next year, and Jensen/Ouellet are not capable of their current minutes, as is. I mean what was that by Ouellet against WSH, he never hits anything, but goes for a hip check and then doesn't cover his man on the goal.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Is there any cap penalty if Kronwall retires this offseason? I know it's the case with 35+ contracts.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

That's $6M.

Here are your RFAs:
Athanasiou - $1.4M to?
Larkin $925,000 to ?
Mantha $863,000 to?
Frk $650,000 to?

Larkin is averaging a point per game. I don't honestly think he's playing like a point per game guy. But what if he scored 50 points? Wings are gonna lock him up. I can see him getting a $5M/Y deal. I can't see the Wings ****ing around with him like they did with Athanasiou.
Maximum 7Y and $6M

Boston lost Rask.

We traded Sheahan because he was the worst player on our roster the last season+. Getting a 3rd+Wilson is an amazing return.
No need to offload actually useful players at this point, we'll come to that if we come to it. A good GM doesn't trade roster players in October based on 5 or 6 different guesses for next summer such as "what will kid X and kid Y earn", "what will the cap be", "who will retire or be LTIred" etc.
Kronwall is likely gone and aren't there rumors of a big cap increase?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->