Value of: Shea Weber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I don't think so Nylander is 21 and an RFA this summer, Weber is 32 with an 8M contract until he's 40. I'd say that was a pretty good effort, though. I'd really like to see you try again.
Nylander is probably asking for $8MM this summer as well unless he goes for a bridge

Shea will have the bigger impact for a few years and then it should crossover

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
What will they give for ROR? You have quite possibly thr worst prospect pool in the NHL and you need the draft picks you do have.

You likely can't afford it and even if you can it would drain whatever prospect capital you do have
Well Poehling would have to go back the other way I would imagine. Him or Mete.

Grabner

Feb 22, 2018
How this thread makes me feel like:
giphy.gif

michael-jackson-comments-popcorn-pUeXcg80cO8I8

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Nylander is probably asking for $8MM this summer as well unless he goes for a bridge

We are folks so enamoured with " what the player asks". He's an RFA, he'll get paid as such. Two summers ago folks were saying Trouba was going to get 6.5m, he got 3.0m a year on two year deal.
Again "unless he goes for a bridge." But sides have to agree to a contract, term and money. Unless Nylander is prepared to retire from the NHL...both sides agree to deal.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Want to show me one of my revenge THREAD?

Your post in this thread makes it look like you are very bitter . Lots of hockey fans start a thread base on the bashing of a player to show the bashers that most fans have a difference view . Weber is still a fine player . Would I want him on the Oilers yes every day of the week . Would I want his contract . No . Especially with the way Chia hands out millions of extra dollars on contract . You would think those millions are candy .

The only trade I would make for Weber if I was the GM of the Oilers would be Lucic + 2nd for Weber 20% retained

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Your post in this thread makes it look like you are very bitter . Lots of hockey fans start a thread base on the bashing of a player to show the bashers that most fans have a difference view . Weber is still a fine player . Would I want him on the Oilers yes every day of the week . Would I want his contract . No . Especially with the way Chia hands out millions of extra dollars on contract . You would think those millions are candy .

The only trade I would make for Weber if I was the GM of the Oilers would be Lucic + 2nd for Weber 20% retained
Pretty sure most of the Weber threads aren't started by Habs fans including this one. His contract is fine for a 1st pairing D, when he's not he's probably retiring and Preds get hit with the penalty so it's actually one of the better contracts, real money drops way off too so you also have the option to trade him for a team trying to reach the floor

Sorry you'll have to find someone else for you cap dump, most Habs fans aren't in any hurry to move him unless it helps a rebuild, the above does not

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I am not a fan of either team . I would always cheer for a Canadian team if they are in the finals altho Montreal and Toronto fans make it hard to with their ridiculous threads and values of other teams players . LOL at TML fans bashing Weber he would be your best D with Rielly being a close 2nd . Then Montreal fans think someone is going to gift them a top line Centre for a bunch of meh pieces

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I am not a fan of either team . I would always cheer for a Canadian team if they are in the finals altho Montreal and Toronto fans make it hard to with their ridiculous threads and values of other teams players . LOL at TML fans bashing Weber he would be your best D with Rielly being a close 2nd . Then Montreal fans think someone is going to gift them a top line Centre for a bunch of meh pieces
Less than 1% of the Montreal fanbase expect that, unfortunately they usually get hammered on our board with their dumb proposal and they come to the main board looking for validation that we were wrong

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Pretty sure most of the Weber threads aren't started by Habs fans including this one. His contract is fine for a 1st pairing D, when he's not he's probably retiring and Preds get hit with the penalty so it's actually one of the better contracts, real money drops way off too so you also have the option to trade him for a team trying to reach the floor

Sorry you'll have to find someone else for you cap dump, most Habs fans aren't in any hurry to move him unless it helps a rebuild, the above does not

The only problem is that he has negative value to the Habs.

The Habs cupboard is empty and they are AT LEAST 3 years away from being serious contenders and what is Weber by that point? Let's say a mid 2-3, ok and? Does a mid 2-3 ever put you over the top? Guys like that are always available at the deadline anyways (Petry, Green, Tanev come to mind), so why keep him?

And that's in a BEST case scenario, the Leafs got absolutely fortunate in their rebuild and they are in year 3 of the official one and they're still not quite cup contenders despite having amazing luck in the draft where we can see other teams have not (Phoenix, Buffalo, Flames etc). A more realistic time frame is 4-5 years and he's 37-38 at that point, never mind if injuries pile up or if something happens and he calls it GG.

I understand you want to protect the value of your player, but sometimes you have to just eat it like the Leafs did with Kessel and Phaneuf and know you're better off in the long run. I'm not saying take any offer, but the fact that there is controversy over people realizing that Weber is a negative asset in Montreal is laughable, you don't gain anything by playing hardball with people and clearly the offers are not flying in either (as this thread shows), ultimately you hurt your organization more in the long run than you do to spite bad offers.

Basically here's the bottom line, if you think he's worth more than 2 1sts and a prospect with some retention, you're out to lunch (as this thread shows). Having him on your team is much more of an albatross than having fans of other teams POTENTIALLY imagine themselves winning with him and then get upset that their team didn't "buck up" to get him.

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
The only problem is that he has negative value to the Habs.

The Habs cupboard is empty and they are AT LEAST 3 years away from being serious contenders and what is Weber by that point? Let's say a mid 2-3, ok and? Does a mid 2-3 ever put you over the top? Guys like that are always available at the deadline anyways (Petry, Green, Tanev come to mind), so why keep him?

And that's in a BEST case scenario, the Leafs got absolutely fortunate in their rebuild and they are in year 3 of the official one and they're still not quite cup contenders despite having amazing luck in the draft where we can see other teams have not (Phoenix, Buffalo, Flames etc). A more realistic time frame is 4-5 years and he's 37-38 at that point, never mind if injuries pile up or if something happens and he calls it GG.

I understand you want to protect the value of your player, but sometimes you have to just eat it like the Leafs did with Kessel and Phaneuf and know you're better off in the long run. I'm not saying take any offer, but the fact that there is controversy over people realizing that Weber is a negative asset in Montreal is laughable, you don't gain anything by playing hardball with people and clearly the offers are not flying in either (as this thread shows), ultimately you hurt your organization more in the long run than you do to spite bad offers.

Basically here's the bottom line, if you think he's worth more than 2 1sts and a prospect with some retention, you're out to lunch (as this thread shows). Having him on your team is much more of an albatross than having fans of other teams POTENTIALLY imagine themselves winning with him and then get upset that their team didn't "buck up" to get him.
Habs have lots of money and cap space, he's a good leader and good for the kids upcoming to take the pressure off them during the rebuild. I haven't seen offers of 2 1sts+ cause that is something I'd probably do, most of what I see is cap dumps and 2nds - haven't read the entire thread so not sure where I went out to lunch?

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Habs have lots of money and cap space, he's a good leader and good for the kids upcoming to take the pressure off them during the rebuild. I haven't seen offers of 2 1sts+ cause that is something I'd probably do, most of what I see is cap dumps and 2nds - haven't read the entire thread so not sure where I went out to lunch?

Why would anyone want to sign there though? Bergevin and Molson are compete clowns and the team isn't exactly breaking down the Stanley cup door.

That's IF you guys commit to a rebuild, which you haven't and which is impossible if Price and Weber stay healthy as they can steal games on their own and thus push you guys in the 9-12 range as opposed to 12-15 range.

I didn't say you were, I said IF, I offered 2 1sts and Dermott/Nielsen for Weber at 25% retained IIRC near the start of the year and this was seen as the 2nds and cap dump type offer from many Habs fans.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Why would anyone want to sign there though? Bergevin and Molson are compete clowns and the team isn't exactly breaking down the Stanley cup door.

That's IF you guys commit to a rebuild, which you haven't and which is impossible if Price and Weber stay healthy as they can steal games on their own and thus push you guys in the 9-12 range as opposed to 12-15 range.

I didn't say you were, I said IF, I offered 2 1sts and Dermott/Nielsen for Weber at 25% retained IIRC near the start of the year and this was seen as the 2nds and cap dump type offer from many Habs fans.
As it should have been. You are not getting Weber by offering up Garbage. Can't you get that through your thick skull?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->