Player Discussion Shea Weber

Status
Not open for further replies.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
On a side note here, I understand that detecting injuries and the recovery process is quite complicated and not straightforward. That said from Weber's injury to Price's in 2015-16 and him being diagnosed as fatigue to start the season, the medical/conditioning team has had some difficulties lately, Habs would be wise to bring in a outside person to bring a added perspective on matters.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Reading this interview and its easy to understand why Weber is known for his leadership

Weber opens up about injury, season-ending surgery, Canadiens' struggles - Sportsnet.ca

He gets flak for who he was traded for (which frankly should be on Bergevin and not on Weber), but Weber is a player that any coach/team would want to have. If the Habs do decide to rebuild and trade him they will have no problem finding a taker, if they decide to keep him then he's going to be fine here.

2 things:

1. Nothing in that interview stood out in regards to his leadership.

2. The worries some had about the medical staff (and how their expertise in sports injuries) or at least how the team follows injuries might not have been that unfounded.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
On a side note here, I understand that detecting injuries and the recovery process is quite complicated and not straightforward. That said from Weber's injury to Price's in 2015-16 and him being diagnosed as fatigue to start the season, the medical/conditioning team has had some difficulties lately, Habs would be wise to bring in a outside person to bring a added perspective on matters.
Pretty sure it's already done...

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
He gets flak for who he was traded for (which frankly should be on Bergevin and not on Weber), but Weber is a player that any coach/team would want to have. If the Habs do decide to rebuild and trade him they will have no problem finding a taker, if they decide to keep him then he's going to be fine here.

Nobody blames Weber for the trade.

People just have legitimate criticism of the player.

He's Rob Blake on the Kings before they traded him to Colorado. That doesn't make him a bad player. That makes this a bad team.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
2 things:

2. The worries some had about the medical staff (and how their expertise in sports injuries) or at least how the team follows injuries might not have been that unfounded.

There's nothing that makes sense about the player or team letting a player play through a fracture, tearing a tendon because of that fracture and then playing through that torn tendon.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
IMG_3949.JPG

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Weber is not a coach.

And if Weber is teaching anyone anything, what is it? Slap shots at the blueline? 2008 hockey defence?

This idea of Weber being a wise teacher to make our young players better is the last of the dumb excuses to keep Shea Weber left over trading him for the future.

How about this team actually hire good coaches?

The best mentor for the young D was a 16 season Dman that Bergevin spat at while he was forced to sign elsewhere. How quickly people forget.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Hope he has a healthy bounce back season next year. We'll see how his foot heals. We don't want a Forsberg-like situation if his feet gets hurt again next year... which would be unusual I guess.
I don't know about his "edge" he supposedly play with, getting opposing team's players to feel fear........ but he has a bullet of a shot and he has hockey smarts. Best for him.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
There's nothing that makes sense about the player or team letting a player play through a fracture, tearing a tendon because of that fracture and then playing through that torn tendon.

Except for the fact that Bergevin was desperate to make that ridiculous trade look good. It's never going to look good. I got nothing against Weber, it just obvious that his better days are behind not in front. He played hard for a long time, and put a crapload of mileage on his body. You think one of the team pro scout would have noticed that.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

When MB said that there are some things internally that he didn't like, he may have been referring to the medical/conditioning staff as part of the problem.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
When MB said that there are some things internally that he didn't like, he may have been referring to the medical/conditioning staff as part of the problem.

Sure seems like the medical staff/trainers have taken a nosedive over the past few years doesn't it.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Derian never had more than 31 points in a season. Were you thinking his brother Kevin?
Nope.

Kevin’s Skill and creative level and ability to transport the puck at ES was far superior, just like Rob Blake’s was.

Derian was far more limited at ES just like Weber plus he never had a shot to fear.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
2 things:

We appear to have different views on leadership. My take was that Weber wanted to help the team win at all cost and pushed himself beyond what he should have to get there. As a teammate I would find trying to take charge as a sign of leadership.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Except for the fact that Bergevin was desperate to make that ridiculous trade look good. It's never going to look good. I got nothing against Weber, it just obvious that his better days are behind not in front. He played hard for a long time, and put a crapload of mileage on his body. You think one of the team pro scout would have noticed that.

Eh, I don't think it has much to do with the bad trade. Its not like its the first or only instance this regime had of mismanaging injuries. Just this season they completely bungled Schlemko's injury.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It sure seems weird that they'd let him keep playing.

Players are always going to want to play. It's up to the medical staff to pull them back. I don't blame Weber on this one anymore than I blamed Price for playing after he got run by Kreider... but the medical staff has to step in on stuff like this.

Obviously they missed something here.

Reactions: Captain Wolverine

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
While I admire that he played though the pain but he didn't do the Habs and himself any favor by doing so.

That said, with the shit job MB did in the summer of 2017 on the FA market, I wouldn't surprised that the management strongly recommanded Weber to keep playing so the team won't crashed and burn 20 games in.

Now I just hope that the fact that he has to play for so long with that broken foot doesn't accelerate his regression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->