Player Discussion Shea Weber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Right. He's a pretty good D.

Which is less than what he was traded for and less than what the team needs.

Do you understand? The club did not get better adding Weber. The worst part is that the ONE THING we could guarantee he would bring according to everyone from the GM to the owner to the media to people here was leadership. He is a former Captain. Mark Messier award. Total leader. Respected around the league. So what did Geoff Molson say was this club was missing?

Leadership.

How many more captains does this team need to acquire until they have enough leadership?

And again, this is not me blaming Shea. It's not like he walks around with a C he added onto his sweater in marker. This honestly has nothing to do with him. Seems like a good guy. Whatever.

This is being sold a false bill of goods. This is 100% on the GM.

Ok “Captain Subban.” Your homerism and boas is duly noted. ;)

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
the question was rather simple : what IMPACT (not stats, i m p a c t) does Weber has on the Habs ??

who said he does not ? ?

If you can get in and read this article it is pretty mind blowing. Arpon Basu is a huge Subban fand and has criticized the trade, but what he say about Weber and the quotes he gets from others really does make it clear that Weber is elite.

The aura of Shea Weber explored, explained and defined

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
the question was rather simple : what IMPACT (not stats, i m p a c t) does Weber has on the Habs ??

who said he does not ? ?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but anybody with a photo of one of the Chapmon brothers is alright in my books.

I think the biggest impact Shea will have is going to be teaching & leading the young guys. I think that as his skills diminish his impact on these guys will grow and hopefully we will be able to build a core like Nashville has.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
If you can get in and read this article it is pretty mind blowing. Arpon Basu is a huge Subban fand and has criticized the trade, but what he say about Weber and the quotes he gets from others really does make it clear that Weber is elite.

If is aura positively impact a team so much we should get a great return then. I can't wait for him to be in a different jersey.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
If is aura positively impact a team so much we should get a great return then. I can't wait for him to be in a different jersey.

I think he is the perfect guy to have around for a rebuild, plus his value won't drop much because his contract gets better as he gets older.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

all about intangibles, nothing new it's just worded differently, but that's pretty much how Weber was sold to Habs fans after the trade -> intangibles, leadership <-

It's all about, and always been (seens being a Habs at least) about things we the fans can't see... "He's amazing, I know you disagree but hey! it's OK he's amazing at things people can't see, can't explain to you why you won't see it anyway"...

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
all about intangibles, nothing new it's just worded differently, but that's pretty much how Weber was sold to Habs fans after the trade -> intangibles, leadership p>

It's all about, and always been (seens being a Habs at least) about things we the fans can't see... "He's amazing, I know you disagree but hey! it's OK he's amazing at things people can't see, can't explain to you why you won't see it anyway"...

No actually in that article J Been (the good one that plays in Dallas) said that his stick and gap control is elite and that his reads are also fantastic. They also had stats showing how he limited Benn's offense when he was on the ice.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
all about intangibles, nothing new it's just worded differently, but that's pretty much how Weber was sold to Habs fans after the trade -> intangibles, leadership p>

But yes, they also said that the things that separate him are things that most fans don't notice.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
People be like "weber will be great with the kids for the rebuild" not realizing that the trade for him is a huge reason we are going to have to go through a *****ing rebuild in the first place LOL

I don't think the team was good enough with or without Subban. If we are going through a rebuild I'd probably rather have Weber teaching Juulsen and Mete than Subban.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think the team was good enough with or without Subban. If we are going through a rebuild I'd probably rather have Weber teaching Juulsen and Mete than Subban.

Agreed. Half of what Subban does can't be taught. You just have to be born with the God-given ability. The other half of what he does is the stuff you don't want him teaching anybody else because it mostly consists of bad, high-risk habits. His high-end talent allows him to get away with or correct mistakes without costing him (most of the time) but if he was mentoring a lesser talent like Mete for example it would be a horror show. Mete would be producing more turnovers than a good sized bakery and most of them would be ending up in our net.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

I agree but having subban would certainly be better for a "retool" than weber . I don't believe this team is going to rebuild . Bergevin will do everything he can to make the post season and get bumped in the first round again

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Weber is not a coach.

And if Weber is teaching anyone anything, what is it? Slap shots at the blueline? 2008 hockey defence?

This idea of Weber being a wise teacher to make our young players better is the last of the dumb excuses to keep Shea Weber left over trading him for the future.

How about this team actually hire good coaches?

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Weber is not a coach.

And if Weber is teaching anyone anything, what is it? Slap shots at the blueline? 2008 hockey defence?

This idea of Weber being a wise teacher to make our young players better is the last of the dumb excuses to keep Shea Weber left over trading him for the future.

I don't think you're looking at it from a very objective point of view. Of course Weber is a teacher.

We don't know yet that the coaching staff (outside of Julien probably) will stick around. Stop assuming these things.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Weber is not a coach.

Hey don't you know that Weber tought Suter everything? :laugh: I laughed at that one for days. Same with Jones and Josi. :laugh: Josi has f***all in his game that he learned from Weber. Nada.

This "mentoring" bullcrap is getting old. Overrated as shit. Beaulieu had Markov and it didn't change a thing. He had Weber too, didn't change a thing. He had Subban, guess what, didn't change a thing.

Let the players play and the coachs coach.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I don't think you're looking at it from a very objective point of view. Of course Weber is a teacher.

I'm pretty sure his resume says hockey player.

"Let the old guy teach" is the kind of thing you say about a Sergei Gonchar on his last legs, not a guy that's supposed to carry the team into a retool to get back into contention.

But hey we gotta make up value for Weber instead of looking at his actual value. Because his actual value is better traded than kept.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

We don't know yet that the coaching staff (outside of Julien probably) will stick around. Stop assuming these things.
saying one IS a (good) teacher while the other isnt even one isnt just that, assumptions ??

cause they'll only teach the stuff they do themselves on the Ice I guess ??

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
At best Weber can "teach" work ethic to the D squad. How to be a pro (even that is sketchy..) but he wont turn Mike f***ing Rielly into a rock on D by his presence ..

The goat Nick Lidström didn't turn Quincy and Kindl into top Ds..

Pronger put Matt Carle on his back but Carle didn't became a better player because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad