Shawn Matthias (Leafs)

LeafsFIO*

content_what_would_you_say_you_do_here.jpg

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
has size, works hard, not a lot of skill, not overly fast enough, everything is meh, from shot to stick work to passing to vision to IQ...we're not good and not expecting anything so he'll do

no future here imo...guys that work hard with little skillset isn't hard to find

1 of many people that can be gone before years end

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Is last night's game an example of the tease this guy has given over his professional career? Last night he looked like as good an overall talent as JVR (without the finish). But we saw him at other parts of the season where he looks disinterested in the one on one battles for puck possession. These sorts of players (Holland) who tease us with flourishes and flashes of brilliance must drive coaches crazy.

BooRadley

Aug 7, 2007
These are the types of players I look forward to watching after reading how they're excited about coming home. It's disappointing (not nearly as much as Clarkson though).

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
One of the best players on the team for the last two weeks. Relentless on the forecheck & seems to always win individual battles.

But he doesn't have 5 goals and 10 points so he must be bad.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
loled at the OP... but I actually like Matthias. I think he's better than Parenteau, Boyes, Grabner, Frose, and Spaling.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Doesn't have a lot of finish but is quite strong on the PK and works his bum off. I could see a contending team being interested in him to add some depth for a playoff run.

hockey dude

Aug 26, 2011
Underrated, think he deserves more credit for Bozak and Parenteau's improved numbers and play.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
has size, and battles and works every inch on the ice, no skill is really above average...close to a 10 and 10 player...on a playoff team/contending team hes a great 4th liner, okay spot 3rd, nothing more...if he plays anything above this, it means ur team isn't very good

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Underrated, think he deserves more credit for Bozak and Parenteau's improved numbers and play.

Correct. His performance was there before Bozak & Parenteau started getting some points. He was the consistent work horse on that line for about 3 weeks & his relentless forecheck & battles for the puck started to produce opportunities. Bozak & Parenteau followed suit, took advantage & it's probably been the best producing line since then.

Mathias has never been a big goal scorer. He averages about 10% shooting % with an average (over a projected full season) of 130 ish shots per year. As mentioned above 10G & 10A would be about what to expect in production. If you get 15 & 15, bonus & not out of reach. With PAP & Bozak on his line he will put more emphasis on them scoring then himself, so at his present pace & if he's not traded, he'll be around 8 & 19.

His PK has been very strong.

I think his overall game is more important than his point production & he has a sweet TDL contract for anyone that wants to rent him.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I want the Leafs to get better prospects and picks to build the future but if the Leafs do trade Matthias i hope he pulls a Winnik and signs back here in the summer.

His effort and work ethic are easily noticeable, he seems to have decent chemistry with Bozak who may be here another year or so before his contract is short enough for teams to be interested in him. Matthias is also strong on the forecheck and a solid penalty killer.

I said it before the season but i can see a deadline deal similar to Winniks last year where Matthias can nab a 2nd and maybe more from a contender.

Wendigo

Nov 27, 2013
His size creates space--something we've needed for a long time. He's working hard, and not getting into many gaffes--I can see Babcock utilizing him as long as he isn't costing goals. I'm not sure what others expected but I expected a role player and that's what he's doing.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
He's particularly good grinding on the boards getting pucks loose for Bozie and Parenteau and keeping the cycle alive, also fairly dependable defensively. Looks like hes producing at career average type pace in terms of offensive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad