Shattuck St. Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
if your 1 of the top 20 players in your age group, it can do alot for you. but if your a mid range aaa from your part of the country it can either help you, or you can get buried and "waste your money." personally unless you have a ton of money to throw around, (if your very good but not elite) i think you would be better off playing up an age in your home state and playing juniors at a young age.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
domefan said:
This prep high school's annual tuition is $29,900 USD. Do you think it is worth it?

Like most things, it depends on the individual. Where the kid currently lives and what level of hockey he has been able to advance to. Obviously financial considerations are a part of the equation.

I am sure SSM's educational opportunities are pretty dang good. Mix that in with good midget level hockey and it would be a good route for some.

On the other hand, SSM doesn't compete at the highest level of hockey for kids that age. If a kid is talented enough, he can play a higher level of hockey than SSM provides (if he can make a USHL team) and still get a good education.

JeSuisReine

Feb 21, 2004
NYR469 said:
do they give out scholarships to the top players like ncaa??
No, they don't give sports scholarships. I am not sure about "financial need" scholarships though.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Crosby, Stafford amd Parise are all 3 great players. They play an all around game and i assume that Crosby is good on D too. I have seen the other 2 play several times. I would guess that the coaching and teaching they got at Shattucks helped them become all around players. Learning leadership, defence, intellegence and general smart play. In turn those 3(well Crosby will be) got drafted in the first round. So it turned out great for them. Now Shattucks does not play the toughest schedule. But does a tough schedule versus great coaching make a difference? As a youth, coaching IMO is better for ages 15-17. At 18 or so go look for a tough schedule. Like those guys did. Tyler Hirsch from the gophers also went to Shattucks. All he did was lead the gophers in scoring as a junior.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
you make good points, but shattuck had nothing to do with crosby's developement. i think if your an elite player go there and play bantams and midget minor, play a year of major if your that good then go to juniors before you graduate.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Crosby was going to be a great player, that i agree. But was he going to be that good all on his own. He was going to be a playmaker no matter what happened. But from what i read he basically does everything and has a great attitude. We cannot go back in time and have him go another route. But i think he went from great to having the makings of something special. Not sure if Andy Murray was there when Crosby was. But he brought a NHL program to a bunch of teenagers.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
J. P. Parise (the father of Zach Parise) is the Director of Hockey Operations for Shattuck's. Scott Curwin is their Boys varsity head coach.

Gord Stafford (the father of Drew Stafford) is the head Boy's Prep coach and Murray Eaves (the brother of Wisconsin Men's head coach Mike Eaves) is the head girls' prep coach. So the school does have some folks that know a thing or two about hockey. From an academic standpoint, I do not know how good the school is.

You all can read more about Shattuck's Varsity Boys team HERE (it also has links to their other hockey level programs as well).

humboldt

Mar 22, 2002
Visit site
You can bet that they help out top players with the tuition. They give a few good players a free ride to prop up there reputation and then are able to charge a high tuition fees to everyone else.

All private schools do that... enroll some child prodigy violinist from Korea and youve got an instant "exceptional music program". Then the parents of a full tuition paying student can proudly say "My child goes to PrivatschoolX... it has an excellent music program you know, Xiang Huse the child prodigy studies there"

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Oilers Chick said:
J. P. Parise (the father of Zach Parise) is the Director of Hockey Operations for Shattuck's. Scott Curwin is their Boys varsity head coach.

Gord Stafford (the father of Drew Stafford) is the head Boy's Prep coach and Murray Eaves (the brother of Wisconsin Men's head coach Mike Eaves) is the head girls' prep coach. So the school does have some folks that know a thing or two about hockey. From an academic standpoint, I do not know how good the school is.

You all can read more about Shattuck's Varsity Boys team HERE (it also has links to their other hockey level programs as well).

I think you are misunderstanding the way Shattuck works because you missed the top coach there. Tom Ward is their midget (aka "prep" team) coach (not Stafford) and has been the coach of all the big guns that have attended SSM. Varsity at SSM is actually not their highest level team. The prep team is the team that their best players play on.

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
domefan said:
This prep high school's annual tuition is $29,900 USD. Do you think it is worth it?

Not sure if you're thinking of going there yourself or if you're sending you're child there, but I enjoyed my time at The Lawrenceville School, it had a good hockey program. Do some research, but I believe private schools with small classrooms are worth the investment.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
One of the best hockey quotes I've ever read was in a Minnesota hockey rag in which Shattuck Prep coach Tom Ward actually had the coullions to say that Crosby would be making a "lateral move" by leaving the school to play in the Q.

I guarantee that Sid did not learn a damn thing from the coaches at Shattuck. He got to play a lot and he got to work on his game with a lot of off hours on the ice because they have the rink on school grounds.

That's it.

stocktrader

Juan said:
One of the best hockey quotes I've ever read was in a Minnesota hockey rag in which Shattuck Prep coach Tom Ward actually had the coullions to say that Crosby would be making a "lateral move" by leaving the school to play in the Q.

I guarantee that Sid did not learn a damn thing from the coaches at Shattuck. He got to play a lot and he got to work on his game with a lot of off hours on the ice because they have the rink on school grounds.

That's it.
Shattuck is at a level between tier 2 junior and midgett AAA.
Nothing close to Major Junior.

stocktrader

Also, if you are going as a 15-16 year old don't expect to get much ice time.
They always favour the Seniors at Shattuck.
Even Crosby for his first 10 games didn't see that much ice time, until it became embarrasingly obvious that Sid should be getting more time.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
So what i hear is that Crosby no matter where he played would be great? I beileve that without a good coach you cannot reach your full potential. Maybe shattucks did not bring that out. But great players are not born great. They are born with great abilities and have to learn how to use them.

Sammy*

MN_Gopher said:
So what i hear is that Crosby no matter where he played would be great? I beileve that without a good coach you cannot reach your full potential. Maybe shattucks did not bring that out. But great players are not born great. They are born with great abilities and have to learn how to use them.
Shattucks had about as much to do with Crosby developing into the player he is (and for that matter, any other player) as Crosby's Pee Wee coach.
If you are spending 30 k for the hockey, its a colossal waste. You are as well served sending your kid to the innumerable schools that have an intense hockey program & having them coached & trained by their own high level of coaching (assuming of course they are good enough to be on an elite team).

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
What then is Shattuck's appeal?

If the level of hockey is AAA Midget or there abouts and the coaching is on par with other opportunities why does it draw top players? $30,000 dollars is alot to pay for a year of highschool education. Is it because of the weak competition that they play against allows the prep players to pad their stats? It doesn't seem that College is the goal ie: Crosby.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
domefan said:
If the level of hockey is AAA Midget or there abouts and the coaching is on par with other opportunities why does it draw top players? $30,000 dollars is alot to pay for a year of highschool education. Is it because of the weak competition that they play against allows the prep players to pad their stats? It doesn't seem that College is the goal ie: Crosby.

I think it's the fact that the kids can be on the ice as much as they want, playing a relatively large number of games, while getting a Prep caliber education.

The alternative would be a New England Prep school where they might play 20-30 games and they don't start playing until October/November. That's garbage for a serious hockey player compared to Shattuck's 70+ game schedule.

OR

Another alternative would be to play junior (if the player were good enough), but then he might not necessarily get the same quality of education.

So perhaps Shattuck is seen as a place that offers the best of both worlds.

Don't go by the Crosby experience though - he was an aberration. He went to Shattuck to park himself for a year because under CHA regulations he had nowhere else to go (other than the gong show Maritime Jr. A league), and for no other reason.

By the way, don't for a second think that Crosby paid a penny to go to Shattuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad