Proposal: Shattenkirk to Pitt

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
Shattenkirk makes 500k more than Kunitz. His 3.85m + Dupuis' 3.75m - 1m over the cap currently accounts for about 6.5m. You can also add in Daley's 3.3m next season since you won't need him anymore with Shattenkirk.

You can also add in Fleury's 5.75m because all things point to him being traded.

Don't really feel like going ham with the math so this is estimated.

If we give Shatty Kunitz's 3.85 and Duper's 3.75 then Shatty gets the like 7.6m or so that he would fetch when heading to UFA after a massive offensive year with the Pens. That leaves Fluery's 5.75 plus however little the cap goes up next year to re-sign:

Bonino: our "star" 3C
Dumoulin: a top 3 dman
Daley replacement: a top 4 dman
Pouliot: good #5 dman
Sheary: good, hardworking wing who can play anywhere in the lineup
Fleury replacement: back up goalie
Sundqvist: depth forward
Kunitz replacement: bring up Sprong

all the while preparing to give Rust, Kuhnhackl and likely Wilson also, a decent raise.

The overwhelmingly obvious thing to do is to just let Kunitz and Dupuis' walk with their cap hits, and to trade Fleury for picks with no salary coming back. This team can stay good and cost controlled for a long time if we are smart.

Trading for Shattenkirk and liquidating some of our most desperately needed assets is not smart.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Don't really feel like going ham with the math so this is estimated.

If we give Shatty Kunitz's 3.85 and Duper's 3.75 then Shatty gets the like 7.6m or so that he would fetch when heading to UFA after a massive offensive year with the Pens. That leaves Fluery's 5.75 plus however little the cap goes up next year to re-sign:

Bonino: our "star" 3C
Dumoulin: a top 3 dman
Daley replacement: a top 4 dman
Pouliot: good #5 dman
Sheary: good, hardworking wing who can play anywhere in the lineup
Fleury replacement: back up goalie
Sundqvist: depth forward
Kunitz replacement: bring up Sprong

all the while preparing to give Rust, Kuhnhackl and likely Wilson also, a decent raise.

The overwhelmingly obvious thing to do is to just let Kunitz and Dupuis' walk with their cap hits, and to trade Fleury for picks with no salary coming back. This team can stay good and cost controlled for a long time if we are smart.

Trading for Shattenkirk and liquidating some of our most desperately needed assets is not smart.

OK, just trade Crosby or Malkin to save a bit of cap space. Habs did it with Subban.

Yes I'm kidding. But if it's tight every year then I'm sure it can work with the cap rising by 2-4m every year

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
D. Pouliot
C. Kunitz
2017 1st

K. Shattenkirk
2017 3rd

It was rumored STL wanted 2 firsts from Boston for Shattenkirk. Maybe blues could get a better deal but the value seems about the same

Shattenkirk signs extension with Pitt 5x7

Pens can't afford to keep giving away 1sts, they need to continue to draft talent and promote from within so while Shattenkirk would be nice, he would cost a ton to retain and it would set the Penguins back further. Yes they are in win now mode, but they just won and it doesn't mean they should continue to mortgage the future to make it happen again. Being smart from here on out will.

I do think the Pens should move on from Pouliot though.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
OK, just trade Crosby or Malkin to save a bit of cap space. Habs did it with Subban.

Yes I'm kidding. But if it's tight every year then I'm sure it can work with the cap rising by 2-4m every year

The cap situation is going to be fine.

Kunitz comes off the books after next season, Pens will need to move MAF after next season and Dupuis' contract comes off as well. When you have kids stepping up and are signed, it helps and it helps a ton more when they play well in the system.

Dupuis
Kunitz
Fleury
Daley
= 16.05m

Key RFA's in 2017-18: Matt Murray & Brian Dumoulin (likely 5ish and 3.5-3.75m for Dumo). Who knows if the Pens keep Bones as well, but I am guessing if he wants to stay, it'd have to be around 3.5-4m.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
The deal will be Shattenkirk for Fleury around December when the Blues' goaltending falls through.

Bet me.

I take that bet in a heartbeat, Blues put all thier eggs in the Allen basket, if they give up on him after half a season after giving him a 5 year deal, Armstrong would be instantly fired. So no he wont make that deal even if it was the best thing for the Blues (Which it is not) because it would be career suicide.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
PEns cant add any more top 4 D man, They already have Letang, Maatta and Dumoulin they need to protect for expansion draft. They're already going to risk losing Pouliot to expansion let alone adding someone like Shattenkirk.

Also the salary cap exists

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
D. Pouliot
C. Kunitz
2017 1st

K. Shattenkirk
2017 3rd

It was rumored STL wanted 2 firsts from Boston for Shattenkirk. Maybe blues could get a better deal but the value seems about the same

Shattenkirk signs extension with Pitt 5x7

Yeah Shattenkirk isn't agreeing to an extension with Pittsburgh, For 5x7 when he's pretty much asking for close to 7x7 why? would he accept less in Pittsburgh. No way does Shattenkirk sign for that. It will take at least 7x6.5 to sign Shattenkirk that's pretty much Pietrangelo money right there.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I'd love to get Shattenkirk but this makes little sense. keep the 1st round pick and let's play Pouliot instead, give him ice time and develop him into our system

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This doesn't make any sense for either team. The Pens would have to clear significant cap to make a Shattenkirk deal work AND they'd have to protect 8 skaters to keep Letang, Dumo, Maatta, Shatty so that means losing one of Hornqvist or Hagelin, which is not good from my perspective.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
As a Flames fan I would like take a crack at him I am not sure the type of player that the Blues want but I would give a conditional 2nd rounder 2017 will be moved to 1st if we make the confeence final and wideman.

Whelp, that's the best proposal I heard so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad