GDT: Sharks vs Blackhawks 3/1/18 7pm NBCSN Kaner vs. Kaner

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Tonight showed us Kane is also a really good playmaker but might struggle a bit in the defensive zone

I think a few Sabres fans mentioned he wasn’t that good in the defensive zone. Nothing a few more practices won’t fix or at least help.

Reactions: Phu

TrappedInFullerton

Murray SMASH
Apr 19, 2006
Need to put Labanc back on the top PP... it was scoring like crazy when he was on it, then they took him off and it's ice cold. He creates on the PP.

Reactions: LA Shark

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Need to put Labanc back on the top PP... it was scoring like crazy when he was on it, then they took him off and it's ice cold. He creates on the PP.

Labanc is really, really good at signaling a shot before making a great pass.

I can’t believe Timo Meier has 17 goals. Who would have thought this 20 games into the season?

I’ve said it before, but it is odd seeing so many youngsters getting ice time despite their defensive deficiencies. For so long, to be on the Sharks as a young player you had to be in top-shape defensively.

One thing I really I like about Tierney are his incredible instincts and nerves. Not only does he always seems to know when he has more time, but he is great at creating time for himself. In those in-tight situations, he doesn’t panic and in fact seems to play even better. In the past, too many San Jose players would smash that panic button and make a suboptimal move, especially at a critical juncture (think Patrick Marleau). I’ve been a big critic of him, and maybe its because I thought no young player should be that calm, but I’m eating my words and have no issues with him as the #3C going forwards.

TrappedInFullerton

Murray SMASH
Apr 19, 2006
Except he wasn't creating.

Except for the fact that he and Hertl have two of the highest percentages on the PP, sure, yeah. This was before Hertl got injured and they were both on the top PP.

https://i.redd.it/xu0tfanofvf01.png

Hertl went down, the first PP suffered hard, then they took Labanc off it and it's gone completely. Even with Hertl back, it's crapping on the ice. Last night Labanc setup Boedker with a perfect cross-ice pass on the only PP they had but Boedker took forever to shoot.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Good game from what I've been able to see from the boys but the Hawks are a garbage team right now. Sharks have a real opportunity on this home stand because they're not exactly facing hot teams. Columbus is hanging on by a thread to the last playoff spot out East. St. Louis just snapped a seven game losing streak barely beating a terrible Wings team. Washington's been pretty much a .500 club since the New Year. And Detroit as previously mentioned is a terrible team. They could legit sweep this six game home stand and Vegas after they get through beating Ottawa tonight goes on a five game Eastern swing by the time the Sharks are done with their stretch. Sharks could make up some ground there and Vegas is bound for a slump before the season is over.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Labanc is really, really good at signaling a shot before making a great pass.

I can’t believe Timo Meier has 17 goals. Who would have thought this 20 games into the season?

I’ve said it before, but it is odd seeing so many youngsters getting ice time despite their defensive deficiencies. For so long, to be on the Sharks as a young player you had to be in top-shape defensively.

One thing I really I like about Tierney are his incredible instincts and nerves. Not only does he always seems to know when he has more time, but he is great at creating time for himself. In those in-tight situations, he doesn’t panic and in fact seems to play even better. In the past, too many San Jose players would smash that panic button and make a suboptimal move, especially at a critical juncture (think Patrick Marleau). I’ve been a big critic of him, and maybe its because I thought no young player should be that calm, but I’m eating my words and have no issues with him as the #3C going forwards.
before the season started I mentioned I was predicting Timo get 17-22 goals this year. I am really happy to see him get to 17 already. The fact that he has scored almost all of them since December is amazing. As mentioned multiple times he just seems to be getting better every game which is very exciting!

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Good game from what I've been able to see from the boys but the Hawks are a garbage team right now. Sharks have a real opportunity on this home stand because they're not exactly facing hot teams. Columbus is hanging on by a thread to the last playoff spot out East. St. Louis just snapped a seven game losing streak barely beating a terrible Wings team. Washington's been pretty much a .500 club since the New Year. And Detroit as previously mentioned is a terrible team. They could legit sweep this six game home stand and Vegas after they get through beating Ottawa tonight goes on a five game Eastern swing by the time the Sharks are done with their stretch. Sharks could make up some ground there and Vegas is bound for a slump before the season is over.

This is some solid analysis, but honestly, do we even want to take Vegas' spot in the Division? LA is getting hot at the right time with Carter coming back, they're probably going to be one of the 3 divisional spots. I don't think there's another team in the NHL that I would rather play in the first round than the Kings.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This is some solid analysis, but honestly, do we even want to take Vegas' spot in the Division? LA is getting hot at the right time with Carter coming back, they're probably going to be one of the 3 divisional spots. I don't think there's another team in the NHL that I would rather play in the first round than the Kings.

There's still too much up in the air to know for sure. The two top divisional spots are within a couple points of each other. The wild card teams are within three points of each other with another three teams out by a point or are tied. Plus, you can't discount the possibility of the Ducks surpassing the Kings too. I think the Sharks can beat either of them and I think they can beat any team in the first round that is competing for a wild card spot. I mean we're talking about Dallas, Anaheim, LA, Calgary, St. Louis, and Colorado. They should be capable of beating any of them. At the end of the day, I'm not really giving much of a damn about getting the division title. It's pretty much a meaningless title. Just was an interesting thought to look at.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
There's still too much up in the air to know for sure. The two top divisional spots are within a couple points of each other. The wild card teams are within three points of each other with another three teams out by a point or are tied. Plus, you can't discount the possibility of the Ducks surpassing the Kings too. I think the Sharks can beat either of them and I think they can beat any team in the first round that is competing for a wild card spot. I mean we're talking about Dallas, Anaheim, LA, Calgary, St. Louis, and Colorado. They should be capable of beating any of them. At the end of the day, I'm not really giving much of a damn about getting the division title. It's pretty much a meaningless title. Just was an interesting thought to look at.

Yeah, it is an interesting thing to look at. We are only 8 points behind Vegas and when you consider that we probably should have won in regulation both times we played them, that gap could be closed to only 1 point. They would still have 2 games in hand. I also don't expect us to get it and don't really care - all I really care about is the playoffs.

I think the weak western wild card could really be a blessing in disguise. Even without Thornton, I still think the Sharks would defeat every single one of the teams you mentioned in a 7-game series. If they get Thornton back for round 2 and he is healthy, and the rest of the team is already firing on all cylinders, I think they could easily defeat Vegas as well. In my eyes, they outplayed Vegas both times the two of them played, so far. I'm not scared of them in a playoff series (or the team that beats them, for that matter) as long as the officiating is on point.

The butter soft Pacific could propel a Sharks team that definitely isn't the best Sharks team ever to their first Stanley Cup. They would only have to beat 2 teams that are definitely better than them, which is exactly what Pittsburgh did last year.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
By the way, after last night's game, Jones is officially at a .918 SV%, the same as it was in his first year here. This despite the fact that he battled an injury this year which definitely hurt it. :)

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I think talk of who we can beat in the playoffs is premature.

We struggle with calgary and dallas for one.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think talk of who we can beat in the playoffs is premature.

We struggle with calgary and dallas for one.

If we're using a team that we're 2-0 and 1-1 against as struggling then you can say that about every team they could play. They can still beat them. It's not premature to say that they can beat them. That doesn't mean they will.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
By the way, after last night's game, Jones is officially at a .918 SV%, the same as it was in his first year here. This despite the fact that he battled an injury this year which definitely hurt it. :)

Ya, I'm happy to say I was overly critical of Jones earlier this season, and was wrong in thinking that Dell needed substantially more playing time. I think it was important for Jones to keep playing consistently while getting healthy and working the kinks out. Glad the Sharks didn't make the same decision I would have. Happy to eat crow here.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'd have thought we learned our lesson thinking that anything we say on the matter actually has an effect. lol

Look man. We all know the Sharks are cursed.

Every single team that we could (realistically) possibly get in the first 2 rounds is much weaker than any team we have lost to in the Thornton era.

Oh I know. The only team I’m truly scared of in the West is Winnipeg. Doesn’t mean I want to curse us by hoping for LA only to get reverse swept again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad