Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Some good comparables for Halbgewachs just based on dominating the CHL would be DeBrincat and Labanc I would guess. Not perfect since Labanc is too tall and DeBrincat was dominating since he stepped foot in the CHL, but they have these statlines for their last CHL seasons:

Jayden Halbgewachs 5'8", 160 pounds: 72 games, 129 points
Alex DeBrincat 5'7", 165 pounds: 63 games, 127 points
Kevin Labanc 5'11", 185 pounds: 65 games, 127 points

DeBrincat is having a monster year, currently at 45 points in 73 games, Labanc doing well with 38 points in 67 games.

Hopefully Halbgewachs can develop his game like they have so far, although I think DeBrincat is a special case among the three. Also worth noting the weights listed are their current weights, and I expect Labanc and DeBrincat were a little lighter when they had their final CHL seasons.

Absolutely zero comparable. DeBrincat, as you said, dominated the second he stepped foot in the CHL.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
So CHL regular season is over

Ivan Chekhovich: 29 goals, 60 points in 65 games (Draft +1)
Sasha Chmelevski: 35 goals, 76 points in 68 games (Draft +1)
Jake McGrew: 18 goals, 36 points in 64 games (Draft +1)
Joachim Blichfeld: 24 goals, 56 points in 56 games (Draft +2)
Jayden Halbgewachs: 70 goals, 129 points in 72 games (Draft +3)
Noah Gregor: 29 goals, 65 points in 60 games (Draft +2)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I had a very interesting conversation with an NHL exec about some of the Sharks. He made a great point: a reason the Sharks are considered a good destination for unsigned prospects/European players is that DW has shown a willingness to give a shelved player an opportunity elsewhere, with little regard to what he is getting back. Players feel confident that even if San Jose is jammed, DW won't impede a player moving to a team with less depth.

I'd never thought of it that way before.

Crewouse

Mar 30, 2016
Has anybody watched Jake McGrew?

19 goals and 38 points in 65 games seems OK ish considering he missed entire last season with a knee injury?

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I had a very interesting conversation with an NHL exec about some of the Sharks. He made a great point: a reason the Sharks are considered a good destination for unsigned prospects/European players is that DW has shown a willingness to give a shelved player an opportunity elsewhere, with little regard to what he is getting back. Players feel confident that even if San Jose is jammed, DW won't impede a player moving to a team with less depth.

I'd never thought of it that way before.

I've often gotten that sense as we've seen that with number of players in fairly recent history. Some on this board look at it as bad asset management (not getting value for departing player) likely without giving credit for the resultant inflows of talent.

Reactions: nopurposeflour

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Yeah, that’s awful production.

Production isn’t good, but I’d be curious if he’s getting lower line minutes. Spokane looks pretty jacked and by looking at the forwards I would guess McGrew is getting 3rd line minutes and probably very little PP time. Anyone actually watch them frequently enough to comment? First year in the league after missing all of your draft year and non top line minutes can make that stat line look a bit more respectable. If I remember correctly Tierney had similar stats in his 18 year old season on a stacked London team and then his production shot up the following season when he had a larger role to play.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
From Corey Pronman's latest mailbag:

Kent P: Do the San Jose Sharks have any prospects to supplant their forward depth next year?

CP: I think the organization is really high on recently signed Maxim Letunov. I like the kid, he’s big and talented, but I'm not so sure he steps in right away. Vincent Praplan could be a guy, too. Dylan Gambrell is OK. I think you just hope one of these guys really pays off.

Mark E: What upside does Jayden Halbgewachs have with the Sharks? Is he just an overager dominating juniors or does he have enough talent to bring NHL upside?

CP: When this posts I’ll be on a plane to Moose Jaw. Check back with me after this weekend.

Stefan S: Has there been any word on Henrik Borgstrom, Troy Terry and Dylan Gambrell out of Denver? The three seem to have plateaued when it comes to their college-level development. Thoughts on if they leave for their respective teams.

CP: They’re all signing once Denver is done.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’ve only seen a few games of Gambrell but I’m not convinced he’s more than “okay”. If a guy is going to be a top-6 player, I expect more than I’ve personally seen from Gambrell. I’m hoping for “good third liner”.

For me, watching a prospect who is going to be a clear cut top-6 forward is very distinctive. For example, watching Hertl in his draft+1 year, I was 100% convinced he’d be a second liner at worst. Same with Meier. I haven’t seen enough of Gambrell compared to what I saw of those two but he lacks the ‘it’ factor they had. He isn’t big, he isn’t particularly fast. He isn’t all over the ice but he pops up at opportune times. He has high hockey IQ and he’s a hard worker with a good shot. But I personally don’t see a player who is most likely going to be a top-6 scorer. I’ve obviously been wrong before, but that’s just what I’ve seen.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
From Corey Pronman's latest mailbag:

Mark E is me!! Corey Proman really is the best for responsiveness on Twitter and the Athletic. I am surprised Corey is higher on Letunov versus Gambrell. I have only seen each 2-3 times this season but when I’ve watched, Gambrell has impressed me more. Letunov definitely has strength and size but I was much higher on him 2 years ago than I am now.

Reactions: SharkAttack86

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Jake Jackson scored the game-tying goal with a minute and change left in the game to send it to OT, but lost, ending his season
Gambrell and Norris are both playing tonight

Chmelevski (0 goals, 2 assists) and the 67s down 1-0 in series
Chekhovich (1 goal, 0 assists) and the Drakkars down 1-0 in series
Gregor (0 goals, 0 assists) and the Royals down 1-0 in series
Halbgewachs (0 goals, 0 assists) and the Warriors down 1-0 in series
McGrew and Blichfeld will play against each other

Reactions: NiWa

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Michigan plays 30 minutes after the Cornell/BU game (started at 10am PT) ends on ESPNEWS. Denver plays 30 minutes after Ohio State/Princeton (that starts at 12:30pm PT) on Watch ESPN.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I listened to the Gregor game last night on the radio and he sounded good and active in the play a lot. The Royals were shut down by the Vancouver goalie (a 16-year old backup playing because the starter is hurt) playing out of his mind (he was 41/42 for the game and was the first star)

The Vancouver radio broadcast was also super complementary of Gregor.

Game 2 is tonight, then games 3 and 4 shift to Vancouver (by which I mean Langley, which isn't Vancouver at all but who cares because lol Junior Hockey) and I'll get to watch those. And still not cheer for Gregor this round.

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
Dylan Gambrell is criminally underrated. Describing him as OK is an LOL sort of statement...

The reason he looks 'ok' is because he's the guy Montgomery has chosen to single-handily give Denver scoring depth. While Terry, Borgstrom and Lukosevicious play together Gambrell plays with Staub and O'Conner - two nice college players who will likely top out in the ECHL. Neither one is an above average finisher or a creator who can get him the puck in good scoring positions...

Gambrell does every thing well - and the absolute worst case scenario is he's an elite third line type player who can play in all situations. If SJ does it's job in developing him he's an impact second-line playmaker who scores his fair share of goals, kills penalties and still does everything well...

The only real differences between Terry and Gambrell are line-mates (DG was the star FR two years ago not TT - scoring 40 some points as a rookie with Heinen and Moore), Gambrell not looking to shoot enough and Terry scoring a few shootout goals in the WJC and earning celebrity status...

Gambrell not making the Olympic team was an absolute shame - both for Gambrell who would have impacted the team as much as Terry and Donato and for the US' chances...

You will see when you get the chance to watch and appreciate him on a regular basis. He is overshadowed by his two teammates - who get to play together - but he is every bit as important, impactful and talented...

---

Gambrell is head and shoulders above Letunov right now - Letunov went backwards at UConn and is not nearly as well rounded...

Last edited:
Reactions: NiWa and Bowie22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->