Sharks playoff grades

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Does the record show that goaltender to be superior or did he just have a timely stretch of excellent play?

I think their goalie was better than ours in every game of the season except for game 4 of the series. Even in the first game we played them, they pulled Lagace in favor of Subban, but we also pulled Jones in favor of Dell.

At the end of the day, it certainly felt like they had our number this year. But at one point, the series was tied at 2. The Sharks could clearly hang with this team. Then they put up a terrible effort for large stretches of both games 5 and 6 and had their season ended in their own building.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phu

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I try to keep my love for the team outside of my personal like for certain players. Based on this years playoff I am only interested in the return of:

Hertl
Couture
Meier
Goodrow
Donskoi
Kane

Ryan

Obviously I am not saying the rest of the players need to be traded (not even possible) but I don't really care if they are. Playing Vegas again exposed the same thing that was exposed against the Pens. Speed and coaching are still a problem.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
This series just made me realize this is the team of the future all star, sharks legend, Tomas Hertl. Dude was a monster and played his god damn heart out.

Imagine where the Sharks, and Hertl would be if he didn't have that major set back in his rookie year compliments of Dirty Brown.

Let's look at some 1st year numbers where Hertl played 37 games due to the injury:

- Hertl scores one less goal than McDavid in his 1st year who played in 48 games.
- Far out performs Draisaitl's 2 goals and 7 assists who also played the exact amount of games, 37.
- Eichel, who played in more than double the amount games shots 24 goals to Hertl's 15.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Imagine where the Sharks, and Hertl would be if he didn't have that major set back in his rookie year compliments of Dirty Brown.

Let's look at some 1st year numbers where Hertl played 37 games due to the injury:

- Hertl scores one less goal than McDavid in his 1st year who played in 48 games.
- Far out performs Draisaitl's 2 goals and 7 assists who also played the exact amount of games, 37.
- Eichel, who played in more than double the amount games shots 24 goals to Hertl's 15.

That production was mostly the product of elite linemates and offensive deployment and it’s not anything he couldn’t easily replicate and probably surpass right now.

Didn’t he score at like a 70 point pace in the ~30 games he played with Pavelski and Thornton? His deployment was ridiculous in these playoffs. He was given every defensive zone shift against Vegas and Anaheim’s top players and was constantly playing in front of Vlasic/Braun and with Boedker on his RW; all 3 of whom were some of our worst possession players this season. The fact that Hertl scored 5 5V5 goals in 10 games with that deployment in these playoffs is ridiculous.

If you sign Tavares and put Hertl with him and any one of LaBanc/Boedker/Donskoi/Pavelski, with mostly OZ starts in front of Brent Burns, I have little doubt that Hertl can be a 60-70 point player.

Reactions: Papa Joe19 and Phu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->