GDT: Sharks @ Panthers 4:30PM Pacific NBCSCA

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I disagree. Especially for the 3rd pairing DeMelo is the better option. He's been very good for the Sharks.

Besides the fact that with heed you can move dillon down. Heed is a better skater, shooter and passer.

But why ice a third pairing guy on pace for 36 points?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Heed is the best defenseman on the best defense in the league. Holy Crap!

Yes, I believe he has been our best defenseman so far this year. I don't think he will be over 82 games, but over this fairly small sample size, he has been our best defenseman. He has the best P/60 of our D by a large margin and is very close to the best CF% as well. How is it outlandish to suggest he has been our best defenseman? Who has been better?

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
We won!

er. I mean damn this team sucks. Fire PDB and DW. Should've drafted Barzal, Pastrnak, and McDavid. First round exits for the rest of forever. and Thorton is tinman.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Demelo was pretty good tonight (although it was against the Panthers). Is it an example of, you give a guy some ice time and he shows what he can do? I'd still rather have Heed, but I think the gap has diminished.

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
SNOG announcement / interviews

2-1 Sharks
Couture, Pavelski
Trochek

Congrats to Munnyro, the only person to predict the correct score. Looks like your first career SNOG to boot!

SNOG 2017-12-01 Munnyro.jpg

#Date / OpponentSNOG Winner(s)Result
1Oct. 4 vs FlyersnoneFlyers 5-3
2Oct. 7 vs KingshohosaregoodKings 4-1
3 Oct. 12 vs Sabres CanadianSharks, PopaneNightscare Sharks 3-2
4Oct. 14 vs IslandersnoneIslanders 3-1
5Oct. 17 vs CanadiensnoneSharks 5-2
6Oct. 20 at DevilsnoneSharks 3-0
7Oct. 21 at IslandersnoneIslanders 5-3
8Oct. 23 at RangersnoneSharks 4-1
9Oct. 26 at BruinsnoneBruins 2-1
10Oct. 28 at SabresnoneSharks 3-2
11Oct. 30 vs Maple LeafsDrFeelgoodSharks 3-2
12Nov. 1 vs PredatorsspintheblackcircleSharks 4-1
13Nov. 4 vs DucksRockyMTNSharkSharks 2-1 SO
14Nov. 8 vs LightningAnomie2029Lightning 5-1
15Nov. 11 vs CanucksnoneSharks 5-0
16Nov. 12 at KingsstatorSharks 2-1
17Nov. 16 vs PanthersnonePanthers 2-0
18Nov. 18 vs BruinsPackShark, rangerssharks414Bruins 3-1
19Nov. 20 vs DucksnoneDucks 3-2 SO
20Nov. 22 vs CoyotesnoneSharks 3-1
21Nov. 24 at Golden KnightsnoneGolden Knights 5-4 OT
22Nov. 25 vs JetsBizzSharks 4-0
23Nov. 28 at FlyersPackSharkSharks 3-1
24Dec. 1 at PanthersMunnyroSharks 2-1
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rank2017-18 SNOG standings# of SNOGs
1.PackShark 2
T-2.Anomie2029, Bizz, CanadianSharks, DrFeelgood, hohosaregood, Munnyro, PopaneNightscare, rangerssharks414, RockyMTNShark, spintheblackcircle, stator 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
----------

Hansen on TV intermission interview:
- they came fast the first couple shifts, caught us a little bit on our heels, but as the period progressed, I thought we got a little more initiative, got a couple pucks deep, turned it over, a little bit of zone time, and some shots on net as well
- [thoughts on his own play / his line?] of course, you winning games, the guys feel good about themself, try a couple of extra things, again, it's a matter of winning, it doesn't matter how they come, obviously it's nice when you're contributing, but right now, seems like we got everybody going, we gotta find a way to push a little more offense and at the same time not giving up anything in the other end

Pavelski on TV postgame interview:

- it's definitely nice to get a win tonight, we didn't have the best 1st, our game just got better as we went on, and definitely nice to see that one go on
- [on his goal] the puck just kinda squirted there, knew Lu wasn't really on that side of the net, he definitely came over, hit the skate, it was one of those plays where so many went against us that you thought another one was gonna happen and it was definitely nice to see it not overturned
- [milestone special?] yeah, definitely, it's a nice number, I'm definitely proud of it, the last few years we've seen some cool milestones with 500 goals, 1000 assists, seems like every other night Jumbo's passing somebody, but definitely nice to get this one and start climbing up towards the next one
- [did it feel good getting the assist from Thornton?] yeah, the biggest thing is I've played with so many great players right from the start, Patty being one of the first linemates I ever had, spent so much time with Jumbo lately it's nice to see it come from him, and definitely a few more will be as well
- [on the team's overall play] the team's just been great, the biggest thing - it's just been a team out there, I think that's how we feel, going on the ice, that everyone's gonna contribute, everyone needs to, and guys are really stepping up, Chris Tierney, Joel Ward's been really coming out, [Hansen?]'s been playing well, the D has been great, and I really think what's really got this going is our goaltending, those guys have been great back there, whoever's been in, just that commitment from the guys, goals are starting to come but we're definitely willing to win 2-1, 1-nothing, 3-2, so try to keep that going

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Yes, I believe he has been our best defenseman so far this year. I don't think he will be over 82 games, but over this fairly small sample size, he has been our best defenseman. He has the best P/60 of our D by a large margin and is very close to the best CF% as well. How is it outlandish to suggest he has been our best defenseman? Who has been better?

I don't even know how to approach this argument. Maybe someone else can agree with you and explain it better to me.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Really glad the Sharks have at least split the road trip. With Tampa and Washington coming up, these last two games felt important to win. I do wonder of Dell’s Value is skyrocketing if he might be traded at the deadline though. Two solid games in a row from the back up might have some teams taking a look see. Might be able to add to the prospect pool or something.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Some understand that Heed hasn't been matched against top comp. This seems like one of those situations where advance stats are being applied by those without an advanced understanding...

Reactions: Hinterland

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Tim Heed has been our best defenseman from what I have seen and from the statistics. Not so sure what's so hard to understand about that?
It's like saying Schlemko was our best defenseman last year which wasn't true. He and Heed got similar deployments and both excelled there but I wouldn't say either were our best defensemen.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Some understand that Heed hasn't been matched against top comp. This seems like one of those situations where advance stats are being applied by those without an advanced understanding...

He also got a crazy amount of offensive zone starts and hardly any defensive zone starts. Heed is a fine defenseman but there's a reason why he was scratched and why the team plays better without him.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
He also got a crazy amount of offensive zone starts and hardly any defensive zone starts. Heed is a fine defenseman but there's a reason why he was scratched and why the team plays better without him.
He's only scratched right now because he's injured. It's not like he was forced out of the lineup because he's bad or because Demelo is better.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It's like saying Schlemko was our best defenseman last year which wasn't true. He and Heed got similar deployments and both excelled there but I wouldn't say either were our best defensemen.

If Burns was playing anywhere near the way he was last year I would say there is no competition between he and Heed. 16-17 Burns is arguably the best Shark player of all time behind maybe only 05-06 Thornton. However, Burns' offensive contributions have not been at that level and his defense has been inconsistent and shaky at times. Heed has a higher P/60 and better possession stats and from what I've seen, he has been better. Heed is way better than Schlemko was last year and I was a massive Schlemko supporter.

The team does not play better without him. They are 3-2-1 without him, for a 58.33 P%, and they are 11-6-1 with him for a 63.89 P%. I should just stop here. Keep in mind that of the 6 games he sat out, one was against a historically bad Arizona Coyotes team and one was against a comparably putrid Flyers squad. Btw, Heed has received less favorable zone starts than both Ryan and Burns.

Lol, thanks for insulting my understanding of statistics I've been studying for years.

Here's something for you to look at: Why linemate and competition metrics may not be as simple as we think

Quality of teammates has a larger effect on performance than quality of competition. Burns spends a lot more time with our top scoring forwards than Tim Heed. The quality of their primary defense partners is debatable but I will call it a wash between Ryan and Dillon. On top of that, Burns isn't the guy playing against elite competition at all either. That's Marc-Edouard Vlasic and Justin Braun. Heed is also starting a higher percentage of his shifts in the defensive zone but that has a minimal effect on possession stats. It's not as if Heed is some sheltered puppy that never has to do anything difficult; he and Burns have similar deployment.

Last edited:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
We won!

Fire PDB and DW.

Music to my ears!

Don't let a win over the Panthers and a weaker than usual pacific division lull you into believing this is a cup contending team. Sharks need a consistent scoring threat from their first line in order to start thinking about that.

Besides, Toronto could have easily thrown this game to the Panthers. I'm a bit surprised they did not.

How does DeBoer look at the Meier-Thornton-Pavelski line and determine that Meier, not Pavelski, is the problem? Pavelski is killing that line.

That's the rap on DeBoer prior to coming over to the Sharks. If he is unsure, he always goes with blaming the youth.

I really believe he's the wrong coach for these years as the Sharks transition to youth. Plus, he supports and defends Spott.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

What exactly are you basing it off of that they play better without him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad