Rumor: Sharks inquired about Chara from Boston (two years ago)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Two years ago, Los Angeles and San Jose were among those who asked Boston about Zdeno Chara. Last summer, I think there were others. (There were rumblings about Toronto, but that was refuted by everyone involved. So don’t go crazy on it.) If the Bruins continue to struggle, it will only heat up. But GM Don Sweeney re-iterated on the weekend that his plan is to re-sign the future Hall of Famer and talks are under way to do so.

And I don't think the Sharks are interested any more. Too many years/miles and they've got some good kids for depth.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Makes sense for the time frame. This would have been prior to getting Paul Martin and the Sharks certainly had a need for someone like Chara even then when he was beginning to slow down.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
There were reports back in the day that the Sharks almost brought in Chara before he ended up signing with the Bruins. The hitch preventing him from signing with the Sharks was that at the time he wanted to be captain and we didn't want to take the C away from Patty. DW is known for maintaining interest over long periods of time, coveting his favorites well past their primes.

Reactions: The Ice Hockey Dude

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
There were reports back in the day that the Sharks almost brought in Chara before he ended up signing with the Bruins. The hitch preventing him from signing with the Sharks was that at the time he wanted to be captain and we didn't want to take the C away from Patty. DW is known for maintaining interest over long periods of time, coveting his favorites well past their primes.

I posted this, but I wasn’t sure if it was true. So, I deleted it. :laugh:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Like Havlat...

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Can't like players as a gm.
Well you can like them, just not blindly. Both the examples we used Havlat and Wallin were good players at one time, DW just coveted them way past their expiration date. He needs to be objective and get what the team needs. Also, he needs to start thinking more long term.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Well you can like them, just not blindly. Both the examples we used Havlat and Wallin were good players at one time, DW just coveted them way past their expiration date. He needs to be objective and get what the team needs. Also, he needs to start thinking more long term.
That was probably a poor choice of words on my part. What I mean is gm's shouldn't be fixated with a player to the point you acquire them when they aren't what they used to be. Essentially exactly what you said lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00