GDT: Sharks @ Flames, December 14 7:00 MT, Sportsnet Flames

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Glen mad at Johnny for not moving the puck forward on that last goal and I'd say he's got a point there.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Getting to the point in the season where we have to start stringing some wind together before it's to late.

The team has looked good since Edmonton, but it's obvious we're lacking another quality goal scorer.. Really need ferland off the top line, he's not a top line player.

The lack of a first rounder might sting this year.

Last edited:

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Getting to the point in the season where we have to start stringing some wind together before it's to late.

The team has looked good since Edmonton, but it's obvious we're lacking another quality goal scorer.. Really need ferland off the top line, he's not a top line player.

The lack of a first rounder might sting this year.

I’m really at a crossroads over what I think the team should do. Missing the playoffs without a first rounder would be brutal but overpaying for a rental to slot in on the top line might be even worse. I think we have the roster to make the playoffs this year as a 5-8 team but they can’t seem to put it together.

Ideally they can get themselves into the playoff picture somewhat comfortably before the deadline and we can get another look at what this current group has to offer in the post season, then we address the first line issue either internally or via free agency. Should be noted that I don’t think it’s there internally right now, can’t see Bennett making that jump and I’m not sure how tkachuk would adjust to the right side. Also I think Jankowski should remain at center.

Maybe shaking up the lines is the answer but the outcome is usually the same, lacking on the right side. If Magni was a RW I’d almost like to see him called up and thrown in there for a spark but he’s not and also probably not ready

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We are continuously finding ways of giving up points.
It's both horrendous luck and just some dumb breakdowns/penalties.

On the winning goal, Johnny gets knocked down, sweeps the puck directly to a Shark, on the shot their allowed to jam away until it goes in.

This team has to have luck swing back in their direction; and has to just play smarter. They're not getting elite goaltending like the start of the season, but are limiting chances.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Well tough to take positives out of that game but a couple of positives:

A. It was another game played without adding Evander Kane and unfortunately at this point not having Kane on the team is one of the few positives I can find.

B. If there are enough loses and performances like this eventually Treliving has to finally fire GG, right?

Reactions: Cyrano

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Well tough to take positives out of that game but a couple of positives:

A. It was another game played without adding Evander Kane and unfortunately at this point not having Kane on the team is one of the few positives I can find.

B. If there are enough loses and performances like this eventually Treliving has to finally fire GG, right?

Dominated the possession game again, had an 85% to 15% advantage in HDCF%... Like I mentioned above, Calgary's finding ways to lose at this time versus being outplayed.

Bennett was flying. Gaudreau looked good with Janko/Hathway until that horrible turnover. The defense is finally rounding to as advertised.

Really, Monahan's been struggling over the past few games... Smith hasn't been unreal.... WE need some bounces and to keep plugging away. This team'll get points more often than not playing this way.

Powerplay needs an overhaul, that goes without say. It's more or less a waste of 2 minutes most nights. You need a boom from the point in my opinion.

Something like:
Monahan
Tkachuk - Ferland - Gaudreau
Stone

I think would work better; Stone's got a hammer and you don't need Brodie/Gaudreau going on skates in the offensive zone... you just need one doing that.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Dominating the possession game and doing nothing with it seems to be kind of "who cares" situation. I think at some point if you are dominating possession and not winning than it is more than just bad bounces. I see a lot more bad plays than bad bounces out there from the Flames.

I also thought the Gaudreau-Jankowski-Hathaway line looked pretty terrible which wasn't all that surprising.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Glen mad at Johnny for not moving the puck forward on that last goal and I'd say he's got a point there.
Yeah. There's nothing wrong with trying to create some space by backtracking a little, but he went way too high in the zone. If there's one thing I've learned from NHL 18, it's that you will paint yourself into a corner and bad things happen when you try to escape back to the blue line with the puck.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Dominating the possession game and doing nothing with it seems to be kind of "who cares" situation. I think at some point if you are dominating possession and not winning than it is more than just bad bounces. I see a lot more bad plays than bad bounces out there from the Flames.

I also thought the Gaudreau-Jankowski-Hathaway line looked pretty terrible which wasn't all that surprising.
I didn't pay close attention to them defensively, but they created a handful of 10 bell chances. Whether it's a matter of hot goalie, not enough puck luck, or finishing ability issues with Janko, I wouldn't say they were "doing nothing with it". They got the puck into scoring position and to the net, which is most of the battle.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I watched the last 13min or so of the last period. Looked like lines were Gaudreau-Jankowski-Hathaway and Bennett-Monahan-Ferland. Was it like this the whole game or just third period?

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I watched the last 13min or so of the last period. Looked like lines were Gaudreau-Jankowski-Hathaway and Bennett-Monahan-Ferland. Was it like this the whole game or just third period?
From past the midway point of the 2nd to the end of the game it was like that.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
It's pretty simple:

The Flames are dominant 5v5 but aren't getting the puck luck right now.

Our special teams (specifically our PP lately) is what's costing us games.

While this tough stretch is very frustrating, the fact is that we are playing fantastic. Once our special teams come around, we're due for a big run/more consistent winning.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Dominant?

I must be watching different games bad because I can't think of a game they were dominant in or many cases of bad puck luck. Maybe a little early on with Bennett but not enough to change the fact that the team looks mediocre on the ice and gets mediocre results in the standings.

Its hard to justify that this team deserves to be much higher in the standings than where they are.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Dominant?

I must be watching different games bad because I can't think of a game they were dominant in or many cases of bad puck luck. Maybe a little early on with Bennett but not enough to change the fact that the team looks mediocre on the ice and gets mediocre results in the standings.

Its hard to justify that this team deserves to be much higher in the standings than where they are.

You are definitely watching different games...

Over the last 10 games, Calgary ranks as follows 5v5:

Corsi For %: 55.13% (1st)
Fenwick For %: 55.78% (2nd)
Shots For %: 57.65% (1st)
Scoring Chances For %: 53.85% (5th)
High Danger Scoring Chances For %: 60.87% (2nd)
PDO: .967 (29th)

If that's not dominant, I don't know what is.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
That seems to show why hockey is played on ice and not a stat sheet.

The dominated the stat sheet but that means crap in the real world.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
What an excellent rebuttal

Well what do you want?

The Flames have played mediocre all season long, they look mediocre when you watch them, they are mediocre in the standings.

So just because some BS numbers says they have been top 5 in some made up categories doesn't change what is clear as day that the Flames are a mediocre team.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The system is currently working in that we are very much restricting the other team from getting grade-A scoring chances unless we make horrendous plays individually, like Stone pressing the wrong button last night and turning a 1-on-2 into a 2-on-0 against Smith. But the players right now need to find ways to score. We have talent to score, but everyone needs to be committed to outworking the opposition in their own end.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This team needs a sniper, a pure goalscorer- someone that can score from "low danger" areas. We have an excess of playmakers and not enough shooters. This could not be clearer than on the PP1. Until we get one, I don't think this team is going anywhere.

Out of the 32 games we've played, we've been held to less than 3 goals for 17 of them. That's not good enough

As things stand: We are 2 pts out of a divisional spot and 7 pts out of 2nd, but SJ has 2 games in hand, Vegas with one. Anaheim will eventually come roaring back. If this team wants to make the playoffs, they got to cure their home jitters and start getting more full-team efforts. Pretty sad that we're only 3 games above .500.

Last edited:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Bennett is more or less a pure goalscorer in that he likes to shoot from pretty much anywhere (Frolik is the same), the only caveat is they aren't Ovy so they actually score from the bad areas.

Bennett was flying in the third and I thought for sure he'd get the go ahead goal again, but it wasn't to be.

The PP is just atrocious coaching. They refuse to the nth degree to change anything up, the same 5 people (or sometimes Janko on the odd PP), but the same formation and tactics, 90% of the time which don't work. If we don't win the opening face off on the pp it's pretty much over for that PP, because we can never enter the zone and set up again, we always end up losing it. The powerplay needs a complete overhaul, we have the talent, but the coaching is completely neutering it.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The system is currently working in that we are very much restricting the other team from getting grade-A scoring chances unless we make horrendous plays individually, like Stone pressing the wrong button last night and turning a 1-on-2 into a 2-on-0 against Smith. But the players right now need to find ways to score. We have talent to score, but everyone needs to be committed to outworking the opposition in their own end.

The system is not working...the special team is f***ed. The players are not motivated for big games. It clearly shows in the standing. Luck balance out, you cant blame the mistakes on bad luck...the mistakes are because either they are not discipline or not well coached

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The system is not working...the special team is ****ed. The players are not motivated for big games. It clearly shows in the standing. Luck balance out, you cant blame the mistakes on bad luck...the mistakes are because either they are not discipline or not well coached
When did I say anything about luck? I'm blaming the players for mistakes like I have all season.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
When did I say anything about luck? I'm blaming the players for mistakes like I have all season.

You didnt but you said the system is working....it's not if they players cant or wont execute it properly

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You didnt but you said the system is working....it's not if they players cant or wont execute it properly

The system can only put players in a position to succeed. Powerplay aside (because I feel like the powerplay is a system in and of itself) I think that's happening. The Flames are not spending too much time defending, and are getting into the offensive zone with control of the puck often enough. I think the players are now executing the system, and that is why we are working our way into good situations. My understanding, though, is that the 'system' only covers certain aspects of the game. That seems accurate given that every different line on the Flames likes to play a different way in the offensive end. I don't think Michael Stone falling over last night is relevant to the 'system' at all. It was a player making a mistake. In addition, Mike Smith failing to control rebounds last night isn't relevant to the system.

Execution on an individual level is the problem. We aren't making creative plays often enough in the attacking zone, and we're far too content with low-quality shots. We need more of what Sam Bennett did against Vancouver. We need to be harder to defend against. And we need to not miss good chances. But none of this is luck-related. Players need to do what they're paid to do.

The powerplay is a huge momentum-killer right now. I, too, am frustrated by the lack of a shake-up when it so regularly disappoints.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad