Sharks files CEQA challenge against city of San Jose

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Sharks Sports & Entertainment, the parent company of the San Jose Sharks, is going to court with the city of San Jose over a glitzy, $600 million, mixed-use project that the team says will gobble up parking for downtown arena patrons.

Just two weeks after losing in the Stanley Cup finals, team owners filed a lawsuit Thursday challenging the city’s environmental clearance of developer Trammell Crow’s “Diridon†office and apartment campus. The litigation, allowed under the California Environmental Quality Act, seeks to overturn the project's approval and to prevent the developers from breaking ground.

But Sharks representatives have for months been raising concerns with city officials that the project would remove crucial parking for arena events — and violate a deal in which the city must ensure there is a minimum number of spaces within a half-mile of SAP Center. (The Sharks’ parent organization leases and manages SAP Center from the city.) Officials acknowledge that it would decrease the available spaces in the area by about 800 stalls unless they are replaced, or allowed to be shared with the Sharks under a deal with the developer.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...jose-over-600-milliontech-campus.html?ana=twt

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Parking is bad enough as it is.

Now, if they improve the public transportation and ride share (like dedicated pick up and drop off locations) that might alleviate the issue. Except for those who never use anything but their own vehicle.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
general public transit improvement in the bay area would be nice.

This. South Bay in particular is garbage. I used to live in Campbell and commute to Milpitas next to the Great Mall for work. Totaled my car and had to do public transit for two months. My 20 min drive turned into almost 2 hours on public transit.

bbison

Oct 16, 2004
San Jose
Parking is bad enough as it is.

Now, if they improve the public transportation and ride share (like dedicated pick up and drop off locations) that might alleviate the issue. Except for those who never use anything but their own vehicle.

I don't think parking as of now is that bad at all. There are so many parking options and price levels. That Sharks-operated lot on Delmas (where this project is going up) rarely fills up, as you can park a block or two farther away for a lot less.

The lot under 87 usually has spots left (but don't ever park there, it's a pain to get out!) The lot and garage just past that one (off San Fernando east of 87) always has spots, and is super-easy to get out of fast. The garage at Park and Woz and big $5 lot at Woz and Auzerais always have space.

That's just in the direction I come from on game nights, I'm sure those coming from elsewhere know of spaces and lots available at a variety of prices and distances. I know people have been parking at the Target on Coleman for free and walking across the unfinished Autumn St. extension.

What made parking a little more challenging was when they killed this: http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=472797 We used to park downtown (out of comfortable walking range with kids) and ride the shuttle to/from the games. Worked perfectly, always a fleet of buses waiting when the game ended. But no one wanted to pay for it (and why would the Sharks? They'd rather have you paying $20-$25 in their lots.)

The city will have to satisfy the Sharks somehow--either adding a garage at Diridon, double decking the Julian St. lot or arranging use of another private lot. None of those will be easy or cheap.

bbison

Oct 16, 2004
San Jose
Or just hurry up and build an extension that connects to BART.

There is really no "hurry option" available, will be at least 10 more years. BART to Berryessa was supposed to open this year, but they haven't even opened Warm Springs yet.

cjod86

Mar 2, 2008
San Jose
I would think building up the Caltrain lot would make the most sense, given that they already use it for event parking and they're going to need additional spots once the BART extension is complete.

bbison

Oct 16, 2004
San Jose
I would think building up the Caltrain lot would make the most sense, given that they already use it for event parking and they're going to need additional spots once the BART extension is complete.

The main problem with that is that all or part of those lots will be disrupted or eliminated for the BART project itself:

http://vtaorgcontent.s3-us-west-1.a...nt/PhaseII_concept_exhibit-Diridon_LETTER.pdf

You'll notice on the picture that part of the parking area between Diridon and SAP Center is where the Diridon BART station will be located. There will have to be enhanced parking options there--someday, but not before that area (and most of Santa Clara St.) gets tunneled under or excavated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad