GDT: Sharks @ Capitals 4PM pacific, NBCSCA

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I hope those players are suspended. It gives them rest and makes the team less competitive in the short-run.

This mirrors 2015 where the team was so aimless. The difference being, DW was open about it being a transition year, and afterwards, he put his money where his mouth is with a great plan in 2016. This year, I see the same listlessness with much less hope for the future, and a GM who insists the team is competing. Are there any avenues for rejuvanation next year? Maybe if he signs Tavares!

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I hope those players are suspended. It gives them rest and makes the team less competitive in the short-run.

This mirrors 2015 where the team was so aimless. The difference being, DW was open about it being a transition year, and afterwards, he put his money where his mouth is with a great plan in 2016. This year, I see the same listlessness with much less hope for the future, and a GM who insists the team is competing. Are there any avenues for rejuvanation next year? Maybe if he signs Tavares!
Tavares wouldn't be enough but it fills the critical hole. We probably need a new coach too. I kinda like Deboer but his system is conservative to the max. On defense, aside from freeing up cap and roster space in Demelo and Martin, we could look to move on from Braun to maximize Vlasic's pairing. His game just keeps slipping. Bergman or Roy ideally have to step up.

On offense, discussed everywhere but Joes and wingers need to step up or go. Hertl, Couture, Donskoi are locked in members of the top 6 core. Meier and Labanc are potential core members but are at least NHL roster players. Thornton's still one of our most productive players but who knows how long he can keep it up. I'd move on from Pavelski if possible. I'd like to keep Goodrow and Tierney in the bottom 6. Jettison Ward, Boedker, and Hansen this year. We can cobble some competent bottom 6 with most of what we have but Carpenter, Sorensen, and O'Regan need to show more. Gambrell and Letunov should be coming to SJ next year so hopefully them or some AHL players make an argument for themselves to get a bottom 6 spot. Otherwise we have open spots in the top 6that need filling badly. If Tavares magically decided to come here, the team is probably good to compete. Another scorer makes it a contender.

A concern I have is that Couture is a competitive guy and if the team isn't looking good next year, I think he's leaving for a competitor of his own accord.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
First off, I like our bottom 6 and consider them to be one of the best in the league. I've never said that for prior teams since the strike year.

But I did say that I liked PDB coaching style over TMac in his first year. In that, Pete tends to make the best of what he has, while TMac tends to fit everyone into his system regardless on how well the fit is.

I do wish at times this season to walk back that statement (the part on PDB, not TMac). It seems he has reverted to TMac's style of trying to fit players into roles as if he's pounding square pegs into round holes in a manner of speaking.

The difference between TMac and PDB at this point is that PDB tends to favor defensive-oriented, slower game, while TMac favored north-south, high speed, track meet style hockey.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
First off, I like our bottom 6 and consider them to be one of the best in the league. I've never said that for prior teams since the strike year.

But I did say that I liked PDB coaching style over TMac in his first year. In that, Pete tends to make the best of what he has, while TMac tends to fit everyone into his system regardless on how well the fit is.

I do wish at times this season to walk back that statement (the part on PDB, not TMac). It seems he has reverted to TMac's style of trying to fit players into roles as if he's pounding square pegs into round holes in a manner of speaking.

The difference between TMac and PDB at this point is that PDB tends to favor defensive-oriented, slower game, while TMac favored north-south, high speed, track meet style hockey.

I don't know if I would say TMac was trackmeet style at all, he was definately north south, but reaally favored dump-ins. Whether the dump-ins were based on personnel not skilled enough for more controlled entries could be argued...

I will say, some of the best games were when they got into track meet style games, especially against those redwings teams, so entertaining, wish they played that up-tempo game all the time.

Last edited:

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Surprised there is no discipline coming Thornton's way. I think he could have gotten a game for that. Dillon ought to be fined for his slash too.

TrappedInFullerton

Murray SMASH
Apr 19, 2006
Ovechkin was off-side when they had the review but my bet is that they didn't have enough video to overturn it. You're right that they weren't calling many penalties and that's why it got out of hand because the refs weren't calling a damn thing in the Sharks' favor when it was pretty damn obvious there were penalties on the Caps that they weren't calling. And really, it's not entirely because it's the refs and the Caps and they were missing calls. It had been going on the whole road trip except in Philly where penalties were being let go for entire games and the frustration boiled over. The idea that Florida, Tampa, and Washington only committed a combined two penalties that resulted in a power play for the Sharks is absurd. And the fact of the matter is if refs are going to let stuff go now all of a sudden, things are bound to get out of hand especially when the opposing team got six opportunities.

This is exactly what happened. 3 games in a row of refs shoving the whistle up their butts on calls for the Sharks. Imagine playing 3 games in a row where the other team gets away with everything. Holding, interference late hits, roughing and the like. Frustration is going to boil over.

Also it being the 3rd poorly reffed game in 4 nights.

Reactions: Phu

nabbyfan

Oct 4, 2007
Santa Clarita, CA
This is exactly what happened. 3 games in a row of refs shoving the whistle up their butts on calls for the Sharks. Imagine playing 3 games in a row where the other team gets away with everything. Holding, interference late hits, roughing and the like. Frustration is going to boil over.

Also it being the 3rd poorly reffed game in 4 nights.
Refs were awful from Florida-Washington. I went back and rewatched the first half of the second Period...the 3-4 shifts before Ovi scores on the breakaway, the Sharks are all over Washington, and were being hooked, held, interfered with pretty blatantly. Should have drawn at least one penalty. Refs continue the trend of calling these games like its game 7 of the SCF, and then Labanc horribly botches the 2 on 1 with Hertl and its 2-0 Caps.

I just wish the Refs realized or cared that by trying to not influence the game by not calling any obstruction, they're still influencing the game. The random game like that happens now and then over the course of a season, but when its literally 3 in a row where the Sharks can't buy a PP that isn't a forced one on a Puck over Glass despite driving the play for portions of the game, it gets very frustrating. Doesn't at all excuse Dillon going Paul Bunyon on the kids wrists, but I can see where the frustration level could have been at a boiling point for our guys after this road trip of 1990's Clutch and Grab hockey.

Reactions: Phu

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Refs were awful from Florida-Washington. I went back and rewatched the first half of the second Period...the 3-4 shifts before Ovi scores on the breakaway, the Sharks are all over Washington, and were being hooked, held, interfered with pretty blatantly. Should have drawn at least one penalty. Refs continue the trend of calling these games like its game 7 of the SCF, and then Labanc horribly botches the 2 on 1 with Hertl and its 2-0 Caps.

I just wish the Refs realized or cared that by trying to not influence the game by not calling any obstruction, they're still influencing the game. The random game like that happens now and then over the course of a season, but when its literally 3 in a row where the Sharks can't buy a PP that isn't a forced one on a Puck over Glass despite driving the play for portions of the game, it gets very frustrating. Doesn't at all excuse Dillon going Paul Bunyon on the kids wrists, but I can see where the frustration level could have been at a boiling point for our guys after this road trip of 1990's Clutch and Grab hockey.
Between all that and all the goals called back in the past games, they must be quite frustrated right now.

TrappedInFullerton

Murray SMASH
Apr 19, 2006
Why would he? Thornton did nothing wrong.

People are out of their damn minds about that whole thing. A borderline late hit, interference call, sure, but purposeful head shot? Give me a f***ing break. I've seen plenty of dirty hits in my years of watching both by and against Sharks players and that was an unfortunate incident. If Oshie doesn't fall, it's a nothing play.

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well, he absolutely should be suspended for this one. I have a problem with the fact that some star players seem to get away with slashings though. These two are just the most recent examples. I'm not against the Dillon suspension but players safety should treat everybody the same way.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Draisaitl purposely speared Tierney below the belt, that seems quite a bit worse to me. I suppose he may have been treated differently cause it was the playoffs.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Well deserved suspension on Dillon, and good no suspension on Thornton.
I'd call the Thornton butt fairly dirty but not suspendable. Oshie fell, but Thornton probably still could have pulled-up or eased off if he wanted to. He's actually a pretty dirty player and I don't give him the benefit of the doubt anymore.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I'd call the Thornton butt fairly dirty but not suspendable. Oshie fell, but Thornton probably still could have pulled-up or eased off if he wanted to. He's actually a pretty dirty player and I don't give him the benefit of the doubt anymore.
I wouldn't exactly say he's dirty. Yea, sometimes he get involved with some extra curricular activities after others start, but it's not like he's out head hunting night in and night out.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Thornton would never intentionally target someone's head. No way. He may not be an angel but you can't honestly believe he's running around looking to deliver heatshots. That's not Thornton. This one is purely on Oshie. He put himself into this position. Similar to the Meier/Perron incident. If Perron doesn't skate into Meier without even looking then nothing happens. If you're on the ice you can't expect others to mind you and always consider the possibility that you put yourself in a vulnerable position. It's your job to protect yourself.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Thornton would never intentionally target someone's head. No way. He may not be an angel but you can't honestly believe he's running around looking to deliver heatshots. That's not Thornton. This one is purely on Oshie. He put himself into this position. Similar to the Meier/Perron incident. If Perron doesn't skate into Meier without even looking then nothing happens. If you're on the ice you can't expect others to mind you and always consider the possibility that you put yourself in a vulnerable position. It's your job to protect yourself.

I never said Thornton intentionally targeted his head, nor did I imply that he's headhunting every game. He was going in for the hit, Oshie fell. As a professional hockey player, he could easily pull up or ease up a little before impact. But instead, he just finishes his check without any hesitation or easing. Not intentionally going for a headshot and that definitely wasn't his plan going in, moreso "I'm still going to finish this, if it injures Oshie, whatever". All I'm saying is that I don't give Thornton the benefit of the doubt anymore. And as I said in the beginning; arguably dirty hit but not suspension worthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juxtaposer

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I'm getting crushed on reddit for trying to argue that the Thornton suspension for his hit on Perron was more of a combo of Jumbo being 4 inches taller/Perron skating (and therefore in a hunched over position), and Perron skating up ice with his head down.

Not going too well. Lots of people think Thornton is dirty. I'd say dirty is intent to injure, whereas Thornton just has a temper

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
I'm getting crushed on reddit for trying to argue that the Thornton suspension for his hit on Perron was more of a combo of Jumbo being 4 inches taller/Perron skating (and therefore in a hunched over position), and Perron skating up ice with his head down.

Not going too well. Lots of people think Thornton is dirty. I'd say dirty is intent to injure, whereas Thornton just has a temper
I've said it quite a few times. r/hockey is cancer and they really don't understand how height differences f***ing work. That and suicide passes right as he stepped out of the box. But oh no. r/hockey has a hate boner for Thornton now. I say we embrace this salt and become stronger.

Truth be told I like this nasty Thornton. As long as it doesn't get us in trouble, I find it nice.

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
R/hockey's adamant opinion that Karlsson deserved the Norris last year is bad. Can't even condone the notion of anybody else getting it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->