Sharks; Canes pull off blockbuster

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
According to several sources, the San Jose Sharks and Carolina Hurricanes have agreed in principle to a six-player trade.

ESPN.com, TSN and Roger's Sportsnet are all reporting the Hurricanes have dealt winger Keith Tkachuk, forward Lee Stempniak and prized prospect Cam Barker to the West Coast in a cost cutting measure.

Returning to the Hurricanes are defenseman Craig Rivet, netminder David Shantz and former first round draft choice Alexander Radulov. The Hurricanes also recieved the San Jose Sharks first round draft selection in the 2008 HFNHL Entry Draft.

While the deal has not recieved official HFNHL approval, Sharks General Manager Pasi Koskinen confirmed the trade when reached at his office.

"After (Peter) Forsberg and (Scott) Niedermayer signed new contracts with my team, I though that (the) Cup might be available this season if I just find good players to strenghten my second line. Radulov did have great potential but I needed (a) more experienced winger. Tkachuk fits to my team very well and also Stempniak. Both looked very interested when I said they are going to play with Foppa. Rads gone now, but I expect a lot from third newcomer, Barker. He need to learn some things from Niedermayer and soon he will be ready to be leader in my defense. I hope all the best to Rads, Shantz and Rivet in Carolina," said Koskinen.

Hurricanes General Manager Trent Allen declined to confirm if a deal had taken place, but didn't hide the fact the club was both eager to shed some cash from their payroll and involved in heated discussions.

"I think a deal will be in place soon and we are currently over the cap amount, so we will need to shed some payroll in any major transaction we do," said Allen. "Usually, the most common way to do that, especially in a cap system, is to get younger players in return."

When asked if that meant Tkachuk is a likely target to be moved, Allen let it be known Tkachuk effectively has a target on his back.

"We need to lower our payroll and he is our highest paid player. You do the math," Allen stated.

Currently, the Hurricanes were expecting to enter the 2007-2008 HFNHL season with a payroll close to $45 million, roughly $1 million over the camp limit. If the trade becomes official, the Canes will lose Tkachuk's $7.5 million salary and Stempniak's $450,000, with only Rivet's $3,550,000 coming back onto the books.

Barker, Radulov and Shantz all remain unsigned.

Tkachuk has two years remaining in his deal while Stempniak is entering the final year of his entry level contract. Rivet has three more years remaining.

Last season, Tkachuk split time between Carolina and the New York Islanders, scoring 22 goals and 51 points in 62 games for Carolina and 66 points in 79 games overall. Stempniak meanwhile had 19 goals and 37 points in 80 games and was a +14. Tkachuk had one goal and two points in six playoff games, while Stempniak had two goals and four points.

Rivet had 43 points in 81 games off the backend for San Jose, but was scoreless and a minus six in seven playoff games. Rivet led all Sharks in hits last season with 180.

Rivet becomes the second Shark defenseman to join the Hurricanes once the deal is completed, as Kim Johnsson was traded to Carolina last week in exchange for prospect A.J. Thelen.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Trent - For what its worth, in the future you should wait for league approval before making any trade announcements :)

I'll respond to this one today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->