Prospect Info: Shane Bowers - potential

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
As the prospect rankings are wrapping up, I thought I'd do a little activity to see what we all expect from our prospects.

Select the poll option that is closest to what you see as the players potential.

#6 - Shane Bowers

If you think Bowers will be a winger, select NHL winger AND another option (i.e if you think Bowers will be a 35 point winger, select options NHL Winger and #3C). Otherwise, please select only one option.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That's a pretty unrealistic/harsh outlook, and I'm not a huge fan of his, and haven't been since he was 15 (though he was still a top 3 Q pick for me)

well, he isn't that big, his numbers are mediocre, he isn't a natural banger...there is nothing (in the limited clips I saw) that you can point to and say that skill will get him to the NHL.

I just don't see what the scouts did with this kid. I hope he pans out, but I'm not optimistic.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
well, he isn't that big, his numbers are mediocre, he isn't a natural banger...there is nothing (in the limited clips I saw) that you can point to and say that skill will get him to the NHL.

I just don't see what the scouts did with this kid. I hope he pans out, but I'm not optimistic.

I mean, I'm far from a fan of the pick (moreso due to the type of player taken in the 1st) but to say the above seems to me you really haven't watched him.

He led his USHL team in scoring as a 17 year old.
He is a very good defensive player already.
He's 6-2 190, not sure why size would come into question at all.
He wasn't drafted as a guy to get to the NHL based on skill alone, not sure why that is something we'd bank on.
He is a good skater.
He does use his body.

He's a more skilled, smarter Jim O'Brien. I know that doesn't sound flattering, but it's as safe as you can get for a guaranteed 3rd liner.

He does have skill that may develop, I'm not banking on it, but watching him as a 14/15/16 year I can say he definitely has the ability, just unlikely to transfer at higher levels IMO.

He doesn't have a high ceiling, which is why I'm lower on him than others, but his floor is pretty high.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
The one thing he has going for him in his development is he is going to BU and will be under the development of Head Coach David Quinn who is extremely good at development. He couldn't be going to a better place for development. I expect IF Quinn gives him a real chance to play in top 6 there he will end up just fine. Expect him to be there at least 3 years to get to where he needs to be.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Could the latter bold point be because of the former bold point?

Most scouting sites have him as a safe pick to make the NHL. Definitely has top 6 upside, maybe never a 1C but it's not unrealistic to think he could progress to a 2C. Although it's likely he ends up as a 3C.

I'm excited to see what he does in the NCAA, I think we'll get a much better idea of what his absolute ceiling is.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
The one thing he has going for him in his development is he is going to BU and will be under the development of Head Coach David Quinn who is extremely good at development. He couldn't be going to a better place for development. I expect IF Quinn gives him a real chance to play in top 6 there he will end up just fine. Expect him to be there at least 3 years to get to where he needs to be.

With all the guys BU is losing its not unrealistic to think Bowers could be their #1C for sizeable parts of next season..

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I mean, I'm far from a fan of the pick (moreso due to the type of player taken in the 1st) but to say the above seems to me you really haven't watched him.

He wasn't drafted as a guy to get to the NHL based on skill alone, not sure why that is something we'd bank on.
He is a good skater.
He does use his body.

He's a more skilled, smarter Jim O'Brien. I know that doesn't sound flattering, but it's as safe as you can get for a guaranteed 3rd liner.

He does have skill that may develop, I'm not banking on it, but watching him as a 14/15/16 year I can say he definitely has the ability, just unlikely to transfer at higher levels IMO.

He doesn't have a high ceiling, which is why I'm lower on him than others, but his floor is pretty high.

67GP 8G 4A 12P

This is what a "guaranteed 3rd liner" is supposed to be? Hes only been PPG once in his entire career and that was in the NAHL where he only played 13 games...

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
67GP 8G 4A 12P

This is what a "guaranteed 3rd liner" is supposed to be? Hes only been PPG once in his entire career and that was in the NAHL where he only played 13 games...

He said a more skilled and smarter JOB.

Not a bad comparison. Bowers is basically a two-way grinder with decent size, skill, speed and smarts. Could see him being a staple in our bottom 6 as a 30-40P two-way guy.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I just think its funny that people here think that being more skilled than a bust automatically means your going to be a solid NHLer. :dunno:

If you can't understand the comparison and understand the meaning, I don't know what to tell you :dunno:

How does a smarter Cowen sound? He's a bust, what would a smart version of Cowen be in the NHL.

It seems you thought I called O'Brien a guaranteed 3rd liner?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Have not seen that much of him, but from the little I have seen, I don't think that is out of the question at all . IMO he'll be in the top 6 somewhere.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Not that it matters but he's 6'1 180.

I could see him being a run of the mill average third liner who doesn't thrive in one particular aspect of the game. Not somebody who I'd draft in the first round.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

I could see him being a run of the mill average third liner who doesn't thrive in one particular aspect of the game. Not somebody who I'd draft in the first round.

So Chris Kelly?
That's not a 1st round pick but this draft sucked... I'd take it

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
So Chris Kelly?
That's not a 1st round pick but this draft sucked... I'd take it

I'd take it too, but you can draft those guys in the second or later and shoot for higher ceiling guys like Tolvanen and Kostin in the first.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Essentially, which is why I wasn't a fan of the choice, but I understand why it was made. This draft was seriously awful.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

He is a good skater.
He does use his body.

I've seen him listed at 6-0. Some minor clips I have watched, he doesn't look like a big guy (maybe average?). If he's going to be a bottom 6 guy, he has to be more tenacious. He doesn't look like a natural banger, either. His stats are decent, but nothing special.

There simply isn't anything that pops out at me watching him. Nothing to latch onto. And that is a big worry....the 'good at everything, great at nothing' guys don't usually become much...exchangeable complimentary pieces, not core guys.

I hope the kid makes it and does well.....I'm simply not optimistic about this pick.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
In my experience, the idea of low-ceiling, high-floor players is pretty much a myth.

Since I've been following the draft, here's a general list of two-way forwards drafted in the top 2 rounds that I recall having been characterised as guys with lower ceilings but a high likelihood of playing in the NHL in a bottom 6 role:

Anton Gustafsson (2008)
Viktor Tihkonov (2008)
Philip McRae (2008)
Jared Staal (2008)
Patrice Cormier (2008)
Jimmy Hayes (2008)
Zack Kassian (2009)
Phillip Paradis (2009)
Carter Ashton (2009)
Landon Ferraro (2009)
Ryan O'Reilly (2009)
Carl Klingberg (2009)
Chris Brown (2009)
Jakob Silfverberg (2009)
Anton Lander (2009)
Kenny Ryan (2009)
Austin Watson (2010)
Riley Sheahan (2010)
Quinton Howden (2010)
Tyler Pitlick (2010)
Tyler Biggs (2011)
Philip Danault (2011)
Boone Jenner (2011)
Brett Ritchie (2011)
Johan Sundstrom (2011)
Alexander Ruutu (2011)
Mikko Salimaki (2011)
Tom Wilson (2012)
Scott Laughton (2012)
Stefan Matteau (2012)
Lukas Sutter (2012)
Colton Scissons (2012)
Curtis Lazar (2013)
Frederik Gauthier (2013)
Michael McCarron (2013)
Marko Dano (2013)
Ryan Hartman (2013)
Jacob De La Rose (2013)
Remi Elie (2013)
Zach Nastasiuk (2013)
Conner Bleackley (2014)
Adrian Kempe (2014)
John Quenneville (2014)
Brendan Lemieux (2014)
Noah Rod (2014)
Hunter Smith (2014)

(I'll leave the last 3 draft years out of it for now to give them more time to develop before passing judgement)

Despite supposedly giving up potential for safety by drafting these players, most of them ended up busting anyways. The majority of those who didn't bust failed to meet their low ceilings and ended up as replaceable bottom 6 forwards (bad return on a 1st/2nd round pick). Only a couple (O'Reilly, Silfverberg, Jenner) actually exceeded expectations and became better players than anyone thought they had the potential to become.

Moral of the story: low-ceiling, high-floor players are often low-ceiling, low-floor players

Hopefully the Sens scouting staff thinks Bowers has higher potential than HFSens does.

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad