Shanahan says we got a great deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
New York Times hockey writer Jason Diamos sat down with Brendan Shanahan.He was in New York taping a show to appear on ESPN

"I think we got a great deal," Shanahan said over breakfast last Tuesday. "No. 1, I'll just start off with some of the things that were never taken away that could have been taken away, like guaranteed contracts. Thank God that never came up."

The people that think we got the worst deal in sports have not looked at our deal," Shanahan said.

One reason, he said, is the N.H.L.'s more liberalized approach to free agency.

"I think a lot of players were really afraid that this was going to be a deal that was really restrictive and that would hurt them," Shanahan said, before referring to the recent flurry of activity in the free-agent market. "And look at the movement! Look at the player signings! The difference is that they're not all going to New York, Detroit, Philadelphia. Now, the excitement that Detroit used to have on July 1, and New York, now it's happening in Columbus and it's happening in Nashville and it's happening in Atlanta.
."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/14/sports/hockey/14nhl.html

The NHL players are going to be doing very well even with a hard cap.Some players will be squeezed but those players were already overpaid so it evens out or are the end of their careers or coming off disappointing seasons.The big guys will still make their money

Last edited:

espo*

They've had a great deal for decades now,he's just catching on now?

Let's see,great money to play a great game plus all the other perks that comes with being rich/famous young athletes(we all know what they are)

It's a deal that is as good as they come really.These guys make me shake my head.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
the players do have a good deal...

and they should be thanking Bettman for that.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
RangerBoy said:
New York Times hockey writer Jason Diamos sat down with Brendan Shanahan.He was in New York taping a show to appear on ESPN

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/14/sports/hockey/14nhl.html

The NHL players are going to be doing very well even with a hard cap.Some players will be squeezed but those players were already overpaid so it evens out or are the end of their careers or coming off disappointing seasons.The big guys will still make their money

Its a great deal? How did they then not agree on something like this before canceling an entire season? Grrr.... :madfire:

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004
Diamos probably missed the check from the owners in Brendan's back pocket. ;)

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Which was my point the entire lockout. The players simply had to accept the cap right away, work out the rest of the contract, and they'd still have a great deal *and* an extra billion and a bit bucks in their pockets.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
There's no way they would have lost gauranteed contracts. It was just a bugaboo used to scare the PA rank and file into submission.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Hasbro said:
There's no way they would have lost gauranteed contracts. It was just a bugaboo used to scare the PA rank and file into submission.
If I recall correctly, the removal of guaranteed contracts was never an issue for the League.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Kaizer said:
I want to hear the same words from McCabe ;)

I'd like to see everyone on the Owners side who said Linkage would never be dropped.. and it was...... same with the PA and the cap...

THINGS ARE SAID TO SHOW YOUR STANCE AND GAIN LEVERAGE.........

you take things to seriouslly... it was meant to scare them.. and not anything else...

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
joepeps said:
I'd like to see everyone on the Owners side who said Linkage would never be dropped.. and it was...... same with the PA and the cap...

THINGS ARE SAID TO SHOW YOUR STANCE AND GAIN LEVERAGE.........

you take things to seriouslly... it was meant to scare them.. and not anything else...

There's no linkage?

What about that whole 54% of league revenue stuff?

What am I missing here?

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
You're missing that joepeps is on drugs and has no idea *** he's talking about.

Leaguewide salaries are now linked to revenues. Doesn't get any more "linkage" than that.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
What made the PA look bad was all of the spouting off and use of the word "never" in regards to things that were inevitable. The deal they ended up getting and some of the things they fought for and won like the lowered UFA age is what makes their "loss" in this whole battle seem over-ballyhooed. There is still lots of money to go around--30 teams wide now--and most decent players will spend half or more of their career as a potential free agent up for bid. I think the players did fine--the posturing made them look a lot more silly than the actual deal they got. But whatever, let's play some hockey.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
HockeyCritter said:
If I recall correctly, the removal of guaranteed contracts was never an issue for the League.
That's what I was saying. It was just a Barbarians at the gates canard to terrorize his membership into blind allegiance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad