Shafigulin, Tunik, Filewich, Glazchev....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Khomutov, Chernykh and Pushkarov

What can you guys tell me about these second tier 2003 prospects...?

I know Shafigulin was rated more highly then he was picked and that Glazchev and Pushkarov have maybe the most offensive potential...

But all in all guys I don't know nearily enough about these guys...

Tunik? He's a project isn't he...?

Filewich..? I like him...SAw him at the Canadain Junior camp in Calgary

Khomutov...?

Any insight you have on these guys or if you've seen tehm live or anything would be appreciated...

Thanks

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Qubax said:

What can you guys tell me about these second tier 2003 prospects...?

I know Shafigulin was rated more highly then he was picked and that Glazchev and Pushkarov have maybe the most offensive potential...

But all in all guys I don't know nearily enough about these guys...

Filewich..? I like him...SAw him at the Canadain Junior camp in Calgary

Khomutov...?

Any insight you have on these guys or if you've seen tehm live or anything would be appreciated...

Thanks

Glazachev would have been mid first-round in most other drafts, but due to the depth in front of him, the Predators were thrilled that he fell to the second round. He's a pure scorer, and plays extremely responsiblly in his own end, as well. So far, the only knocks on him are his attitude and the fact that he's prone to diving...but those aren't serious problems to have, and can be easily corrected through Trotz's coaching. He definitely doesn't put up with that sort of thing. I could see Glazachev in Milwaukee, if not Nashville, within 2 years.

As for Shafigulin, apparently...he could end up being a steal for the Preds. Scouting basically said, "Decent speed, great defensive forward, no real offense to speak of." However, in a recent tournement in which he centered the second line of Russia's national team, he lead the team in scoring, with 4 goals...including two game winners. If he adds offense to his already impressive defensive game, he could be a player to watch out for. Playing his first year in the men's league, for Yaroslavl Lokomotiv

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Qubax said:

I've never seen Tunik play so all I can add is scouting reports.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2003-05-22-woodlief_x.htm
Evgeni Tunik, the big Russian tank who plowed through the competition in St. Petersburg so easily it was as though the Iraqi military was providing the opposition. Tunik was always a physical, aggressive player, but now he has grown to about twice the size we remember and his increased leg strength shows in a vastly improved skating stride.

Mark our words: It would not surprise to see him go in the first half of the first round.

RussianProspects

Feb 14, 2003
www.russianprospects.com
Shafigullin - still has about average speed - but is faster then last season, more mature. Filled in his frame a little. Played well at the tourney in Tyumen - was a head above all the other Russian forwards - albeit they werent' the best the U20 team can offer (no Ovechkin, Evseev, Kosmachev, Lyamin, Ezhov, Krikunov, Shevjev, Kazionov - the list goes on and on). Setting people up, driving the puck, shooting, did it all. I would say he was a steal in the third round. Don't forget - this is the U20

Glazachev - struggled to live up to last seasons progress....great finess player. Skilled sniper and sets people up too.

Tunik - judging by the tourney - he is still super skilled, strong, and super selfish player - never passing, always losing the puck and taking bad penalties at times. Really needs a coach to grill some sense into him.

Emule Richard

Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Qubax said:
Thanks Russian Propsects that's great info

I spoke with Filewich last night, and it seems like he's really focused this year...more so than in previous years. He knows what he has to do to succeed, and I am confident that he can do it if he maintains the positive, realistic attitude that he's illustrated to me the past few times I have spoken with him. So far this year, he's 5th on the team in scoring with 2 goals and 1 assist in 4 games...nothing too spectacular, but he is +2 on a team which is about average for the team. Nonetheless, he's a big guy with some solid skills...I think he's going to be a bit more of a long-term project but it really seems to me like he's very serious about being an effective NHL'er eventually. One of the question marks about Filly has been his consistency and work ethic, but I think that being drafted, lower than he had hoped might I add, has really changed his outlook on what he needs to do to get to the next level.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
RussianProspects have you heard anything about how Stonekus(sp) is doing?Last I read,he'd come through his surgery ok.

Emule Richard

Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Evilo said:
I know the Pens were very pleased to draft him.

Pittsburgh is a great place for Filly to have been drafted. He is the type of guy who has always moved up to the next level earlier than most players (he was the youngest player in the WHL at one point if my memory serves me correctly), and he is a well-rounded player. Being drafted by the Penguins gives him a legitimate opportunity to progress in a similar fashion and get some (limited) NHL time earler than he would have in another organization, and I feel that this is the type of development that Filewich needs...he's not going to be the type of guy who makes opening roster and sticks with the team all season; he'll be a guy who goes up and down in the minors for a few years because he is quite servicable, despite the fact that he is still developing (not an all-or-nothing prospect by any means). Who knows how good he can get once he finishes developing, but while he's developing I can see him being one of those guys who benefits from 3rd-4th line time in the NHL between AHL stints, and he should get that opportunity with Pittsburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->