Friedman: Could the Leafs target Seth Jones?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Very different when he's your own player though. This is just Toronto media trying to keep Toronto fans engaged right now.
Toronto fans are engaged. Toronto media is definitely exploiting the disappointment of yet another series loss, but there are still the playoff, world championships, CHL playoffs ( that still include Leaf prospects, and the Memorial Cup coming up. Most fans are engaged already.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Marner (with retention) for Seth Jones works for both clubs. Fair trade.
No need for the leafs to retain.

Marner with enough retention to balance the money. Then it’s a fire deal. That and Marner will need to come with an extension.
I also don’t think the hawks necessarily want to resign marner in a situation in which they trade for him.

The value for the hawks is getting rid of Seth jones because he doesn’t fit their window of competition.

They wouldn’t add any assets though. Maybe a B prospect at most.

Reactions: CanadianHawks

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
A lot of people are talking about sitting Marner to force him to waive his NMC. Utterly ridiculous. When has this ever happened?
It might be when considering the source. But when considering some of the sources expressing the same sentiment, the degree of ridicule should lessen in deference to the integrity of said person’s opinion/relay.

I don’t know when it’s happened off the top of my head. But this is Toronto - pressure like few other sports places can match.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Ah... well then.

Doesn't Jones also have no trade protection? Is he really going to want to come here? I have my doubts, even though he did live here and is familiar with TO from when his dad was on the Raps.

Also, the on-ice fit I'm even less sure of, and that contract could choke a horse.
I think he'd go because he's done with wasting his last good hockey on rebuilding teams.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
A lot of people are talking about sitting Marner to force him to waive his NMC. Utterly ridiculous. When has this evehappened?
It hasn't and it won't. No team is going to sit a 10M player to try to force a trade.

The NHLPA would have a field day with it, and fan backlash would be ridiculous. Not to mention how bad the optics are to treat a star player that way. Some of these fans don't understand how reality works.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
The leafs could target anyone. Friedman is a clown who creates his own rumors. He is as bad as Dreger and Eklund. Garbage reporter.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Jones is underrated. Him with Rielly would be the best pair Toronto has had in forever. The contract is super expensive, so maybe a bit of retention would be needed. But it's definitely a move I'd consider if I were calling the shots.

Reactions: CanadianHawks

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Very different when he's your own player though. This is just Toronto media trying to keep Toronto fans engaged right now.

It’s working on the fanbase of the entire league

Now that Matthews is in year 5 of his career in Arizona, it’s time to move on to the “Laffs won’t get anything for Marner” stuff

It just goes around and around with NHL fans, they just can’t stop talking about the Leafs. They can’t help themselves

As a Leaf fan, I absolutely love that everywhere I look everyone around the hockey world is always talking about my team.

My YouTube suggestions alone could last me all summer never hearing the same voice twice lol

I’m glad I’m not a fan of any other team, how incredibly boring to have zero opinions on the team to cheer for

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
On a recent episode of the 32 thoughts podcast, and I don't remember which one because it was a few episodes ago, Friedman speculated that Seth Jones would be a target for Toronto.

I would be interested in that, Rielly-Jones has been a pairing I would be extremely effective and a pairing I have wanted to see for a long time.

But I can't figure out what the value would be, I'm sure a lot of the responses will say Marner the problem is he has NMC and while yes, the hawks do have bedard I am not sure Marner is going to waive to go to Chicago and spend the rest of his prime outside of the playoffs because I think we can all agree Chicago is YEARS away from even being a playoff team.

So if It's not Marner what would a deal look like?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
A deal around marner and Jones could work. More assests would need to be included.

Bedard is completely off the table if marner is involved. And marner has to be included if Jones is involved. Unless theres some crazy deal around tavares ++ is for Jones but highly unlikely.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I heard this speculation. Made me feel a lot better about losing yesterday’s game.

Who knows, what with having to hire security and how he’s viewed in the city, he may accept a trade.

So if not at home, why not the murder capital of the US?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
A deal around marner and Jones could work. More assests would need to be included.

Bedard is completely off the table if marner is involved. And marner has to be included if Jones is involved. Unless theres some crazy deal around tavares ++ is for Jones but highly unlikely.

I never suggested Bedard would be involved in this I don't know where you got the idea I thought he would

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Unless there's 2M retention on Jones, I want nothing to do with him. It's Darnell Nurse 2.0

Good player, absolutely atrocious contract.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I proposed,

To Toronto-
Seth Jones
Alex Vlasic
2nd Overall Pick

To Chicago-
Mitch Marner
Timothy Liljegren
Fraser Minton
23rd Overall Pick

That is a tough sell. I think at best Marner is worth the 2nd OA signed to 8 years at a reasonable cap hit. So basically Lilly, our 5th best prospect and a late first for two top 4 dmen.

Take out 2nd OA pick it is probably a lot closer

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Unless there's 2M retention on Jones, I want nothing to do with him. It's Darnell Nurse 2.0

Good player, absolutely atrocious contract.
Average player, atrocious contract. Seth Jones and Darnell Nurse somehow convinced NHL GMs they are not only top pairing defensemen, but legitimate #1s. Reality is they are 3/4 types.

That is a tough sell. I think at best Marner is worth the 2nd OA signed to 8 years at a reasonable cap hit. So basically Lilly, our 5th best prospect and a late first for two top 4 dmen.

Take out 2nd OA pick it is probably a lot closer
Oof. Marner probably isn't worth a top half of the 1st round pick. You don't win with soft wingers and he makes 11M and has one year left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad