Rumor: Sesquicentennial Outdoor Game in 2017?

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Bruce Garrioch @SunGarrioch
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirms in email he and Gary Bettman met with Mayor Jim Watson to discuss 2017 game. #Sens

"The commissioner had a good meeting with Mayor Watson yesterday and we discussed ways the NHL can participate in helping to celebrate (1)

Daly continued: "Canada's upcoming sesquicentennial." #Sens

Senators have made no secret of the fact they want to play an outdoor game vs. the Habs at TD Place. #Sens

Safe to say, I think this would blow the Vancouver game out of the water. Hope it happens.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Would be great, and if weather became a problem, they could finish in the civic center....seats assigned on a first stampede first served basis.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Why does Gary Bettman need to fly into Ottawa and waste all that money on a business trip? How about using a telelphone or even a teleconference if looking at the other guy's nose is really important? Just seems these meetings add up to unnecessary expenses to the league. I work on a team with people all around the world - I don't have to get on a flight every time I need to talk to one of them.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Why does Gary Bettman need to fly into Ottawa and waste all that money on a business trip? How about using a telelphone or even a teleconference if looking at the other guy's nose is really important? Just seems these meetings add up to unnecessary expenses to the league. I work on a team with people all around the world - I don't have to get on a flight every time I need to talk to one of them.

New Jersey -> Ottawa is not across the world.

He routinely visits with owners once a year as well IIRC, so he might have other business besides meeting with the mayor.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Might be fun to go to one of these if its not 40 degrees below. I'm getting pretty tired of these outdoor snoozers though.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator

It's only about an our flight. Bettman might want to see TD Place and all the other documents and plans the Sens have in place.

There's probably other business that Bettman will do privately with Melnyk, such as discussing the team's financial situation and outlook, maybe talk about a new arena, and possibly expansion.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
New Jersey -> Ottawa is not across the world.

He routinely visits with owners once a year as well IIRC, so he might have other business besides meeting with the mayor.

It's only about an our flight. Bettman might want to see TD Place and all the other documents and plans the Sens have in place.

There's probably other business that Bettman will do privately with Melnyk, such as discussing the team's financial situation and outlook, maybe talk about a new arena, and possibly expansion.

I appreciate your responses and I'm not questioning the proximity between locations - I just don't see the need for the travel. If Bettman needs to see documents they can be converted to PDF and emailed. There are several wonderful screen/desktop sharing technologies in use. If he needs to talk about a new arena then he can use the phone or skype. I don't see the need to lose hours of work in transit and spending money on dinners / events when he can be in the office working. Perhaps I just don't see it the way you both do but it seems like a needless expense. And it's not just Ottawa, but all the other cities as well (some requiring much longer stays).

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Meh, the teams are paying him a salary of over $8M/yr. Sure they aren't worried about a return ticket to Ottawa.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Patented Ottawa complaint over cool stuff :shakehead

The idea was neat when they did it once every season or two, but how many of these did they have last season?

The games are usually boring due to terrible ice. I'd buy tickets to one if they had it here just for ***** and giggles, but meh.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I have a theory that this is what Therrien was talking about when he said that something big was coming to the Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->