Serie A 2017/18

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Potentially damaging few weeks for Inter with losses to Udinese and Sassuolo and their fixtures don't get easier next few rounds with Lazio and Fiorentina. Both Juve and Napoli won, with Napoli having some difficulty with Sampdoria at home needing to come from behind

Milan continue to struggle, lost at home to Atalanta. Benevento still finding ways to lose, how many losses in the 90th minute for them

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
With Barca, Man City, Bayern and PSG all basically having wrapped up their domestic leagues before Christmas Serie A is the only 'Big 5' league that still has a title race on their hands (and a damn good one at that Juve and Napoli leading the way and arguably Inter, Roma and Lazio all still in the hunt). The question is will anyone besides Italian football fans actually care?

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Lol @ inter 2 consecutive losses after leading Serie A.

I actually wanted them to keep winning and have them in the title race. Looks like it’ll end up between Juve and Napoli once again. I wouldn’t be too upset if Napoli win. They deserve a title.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Inter doesn't have enough offensive talent to be Serie A champions, imo. Icardi is world class and Perisic is really good, but other than these two there aren't much. They are really good defensively, though. I mean, Éder is their 'super sub' guy lol.

Watched the Juve-Roma match, was quite entertaining. Juve had their chances to win bigger, but Alisson was really good, AGAIN. Roma improved a lot once Schick and Pellegrini came in.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Roma held at home by Sassuolo and their title hopes are slipping and its looking more likely a 1-2 between Juve/Napoli; Napoli already won this week while Juve have a winnable game against Hellas later today

Big match between Inter-Lazio later today, big pressure on both really as Inter need to win to keep their title hopes alive while Lazio with a win will move into the top 4

Elsewhere today, Milan fought back to earn a point in Florence but they were largely outplayed, Benevento finally win their first match in Serie A, the last match of 2017. Samp with two 90th minute goals keep themselves in the EL spots while Udinese are climbing the table under Massimo Oddo, from relegation contenders to possible EL spot

Reactions: All Might

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Roma now winless in three league games after losing to 10-man Atalanta at home, they have fallen out of the top 4 as well

Benevento after failing to win in their first 18 rounds have now won back to back matches, more impressive this week against EL seeking Sampdoria

Reactions: John Pedro

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Roma now winless in three league games after losing to 10-man Atalanta at home, they have fallen out of the top 4 as well

Benevento after failing to win in their first 18 rounds have now won back to back matches, more impressive this week against EL seeking Sampdoria
What happened to Roma?

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Napoli and Juventus have finally created some distance between them and the rest of the league as Serie A heads into the winter break. It's still early, but here's hoping the title race goes to the wire because Napoli play at Juve the last fixture of the season.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Bryan Cristante is a kid having an excellent season with Atalanta after his career was going no where.

And you know what’s funny? Benfica loaned him to Atalanta with a €4M buy option. They’ll take it and laugh their ass off and run. They can sell him for at least 25-30M now. In fact Juve are interested in him.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Not current Serie A per se, but just to note that former national team manager Azeglio Vicini died a few days ago. Since his teams ended up winning nothing and the WC'90 is largely considered to have been boring football, historically he isn't heralded much. Personally, I think his 1990 WC team was the best Italian national team I've seen live (been watching since 1980), better than 1982 or 2006 winners, who weren't that convincing throughout and had their ups and downs. That 1990 team was perfectly organized and perfectly set up with pretty much perfect players for their roles.

Only Arrigo Sacchi has a better winning percentage with the Italian national team since Vicini was in charge.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I loved the 90 italian team too.
Toto Schillaci with the tournament of his life.
Donadoni was a dangeorus winger and Baggio emerged as a top player.

Last edited:

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Not current Serie A per se, but just to note that former national team manager Azeglio Vicini died a few days ago. Since his teams ended up winning nothing and the WC'90 is largely considered to have been boring football, historically he isn't heralded much. Personally, I think his 1990 WC team was the best Italian national team I've seen live (been watching since 1980), better than 1982 or 2006 winners, who weren't that convincing throughout and had their ups and downs. That 1990 team was perfectly organized and perfectly set up with pretty much perfect players for their roles.

Only Arrigo Sacchi has a better winning percentage with the Italian national team since Vicini was in charge.

Not in this world.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I loved the 90 italian team too.
Toto Schillaci with the tournament of his life.
Donadoni was a dangeorus winger and Baggio emerged as a top player.
That semi final loss was heartbreaking for Italians.

I remember that shot of Vicini consoling his players.

On a sidenote, the irony of Italy losing to Maradona's team in San Paolo didn't go unnoticed

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Turim derby quite boring so far. Allegri playing Alex Sandro in a more advanced position and he scored the lone goal after a nice play by Bernardeschi. Poor Belotti, Torino should've sold him, they're holding him back badly.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Roma is clearly not going to make the CL and they have FFP looming, so it seems like they're going to have to make massive sales. Losing Spalletti and Salah has been huge, their team is much slower than it was before.

Alisson has made good saves and Schick had one great dribbling run, but they've done nothing else.

Gattuso being such a tactician, on the other hand, was completely unexpected.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Roma is clearly not going to make the CL and they have FFP looming, so it seems like they're going to have to make massive sales. Losing Spalletti and Salah has been huge, their team is much slower than it was before.

Alisson has made good saves and Schick had one great dribbling run, but they've done nothing else.

Gattuso being such a tactician, on the other hand, was completely unexpected.

We're struggling for sure, but Inter has been as well, they just happened to play the worst team in Serie A last round. Plus, even though losing to Milan hurt, we still have a 6 point edge over them. Lazio are also well within reach.

So whilst it will be an absolute dog-fight, I don't think it's fair to suggest we're "clearly not making CL".

We've been dealing with the Champions League, and it's killing our (already thin) roster.

Spalletti wouldn't have made the difference (rumoured to be close to sacked already at Inter and isn't in European comp). It's been Salah, the Champions League and the lack of a creative midfielder. Nainggolan has fallen off a cliff.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They barely got to the 18yard box. Never seen a team struggle that much to create anything. Sucked ass

And as I typed this Dybala scores an absolute gorgeous goal what a genius

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad