Serie A 2017/18

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Wow, and they got another. I tuned in with it 2-2 and Juventus a man down and since then they scored 4 goals

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Juventus have been so un-Juve-like this season. The depth of talent in attack is something we haven't seen in Serie A in some time, but without Bonucci their back line has gone from world class to hot garbage, and their midfield has looked uncharacteristically frail as well.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Juventus have been so un-Juve-like this season. The depth of talent in attack is something we haven't seen in Serie A in some time, but without Bonucci their back line has gone from world class to hot garbage, and their midfield has looked uncharacteristically frail as well.

Their midfield is Khedira and Pjanic. They're underrated and not sexy, but at the same time, they will get destroyed by a midfield like Madrid's.

Bonucci is struggling at Milan, even before the red card last game, and Barzagli has not exactly been a speed demon for years.
It's funny, but a huge amount of their problems comes from the right back spot - same like Barca last season. No Dani Alves, and Allegri is using Lichsteiner sparringly (and he's gonna be 34 in January) and Sturaro has never played the role before this season.
They're hemmorraging from that right back spot - especially when Sturaro plays - and it reflects on Pjanic or Bantacur (whoever is playing RM) and on Cuadrado/Bernardeschi on the RW.

Their whole right side is a level below what it was last season. People don't understand that one position with a player not playing in his role or just an inferior player there effects the whole team - especially the guys playing adjacent to that player.

And yes, Bonucci not being there hurts - remains to be seen if Rugani's ready for the big matches. Benatia (IMO) is not the answer.

Reactions: Luigi Habs

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Spot on Corto.

I'd also add that Allegri is rotating his squad a way I've never seen a coach do. I mean on defense only Rugani-Chiellini-Sandro should be a no brainer every game. RB position is the biggest weakness indeed. Barzagli age is showing and Chiellini is starting to decline. Benatia is an ok backup nothing more and Rugani needs to be given the undisputed starting role alongside Chiellini and hope he fulfills his potential.

Losing Bonucci hurts and we all knew that but as pointed by Corto Bonucci is struggling with Milan.

In fact Serie A this season has been very exciting. A lot of action and attacking football with a lot of goals scored. Nothing like Serie A defensive reputation.

Still mad at the Douglas Costa deal though. He's been better lately but not close to his price tag.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Bonucci went from being the best defender in the world, arguably, to worst signing this summer.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Bonucci benefitted from playing next to Chiellini, Sandro, Alves, Lichtsteiner, Barzagli, Evra, and so on. All of these guys (other than Sandro) are getting older. Bonucci was a product of the system. I am still puzzled at why Lichsteiner is left off the UCL roster for the second year in a row and Sturaro is AWFUL at RB.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Would love for Napoli to win the Scudetto. I had my doubts before the season began because I thought Reina was past it. He has proven me wrong.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Wasn't pretty but Napoli got the job done in Udine while De Rossi concedes a stupid penalty kick and got sent off and Roma drop points to lowly Genoa

Milan held at home to Torino, unsettled future at the club as well, not only are they well behind the pace for top 4 but there are rumors they are under severe UEFA FFP jeopardy due to their finances. The NYT also reports that their new Chinese owner may not have the net worth it was reported he has

China’s Soccer Push Puts a Storied Team Under Murky Ownership

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->