Sergei Shirokov

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
The highly skilled Russian got picked this year by the Nuckers :) My Favourite team. Really I'm thrilled that we got this guy, because he's really skilled, and he has all the potential to be a top 6 winger/second line winger in the NHL. My question what made this guy fall so low after he dominated the WJC a couple years ago? How does he fall to #163, when really he should have been picked in the first or second round?

ARS

Apr 26, 2004
Ottawa
Alot of Russians this year fell way below what they were expected to go, even with the transfer agreement, I just don't understand why.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
He wasn't picked the first two drafts he was in because he was too small. He grew, but was an overager, so got picked later than he would of along with Russians as a group falling. I wouldn't jump for joy at Shirokov's selection, he is hardly a surefire NHLer and has alot of developpment ahead of him before he can even think of challanging for an NHL job.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Slitty said:
I wouldn't jump for joy at Shirokov's selection, he is hardly a surefire NHLer and has alot of developpment ahead of him before he can even think of challanging for an NHL job.

Regardless, it's a good pick. What percentage of guys taken at that spot make it? 1 out of 10 if that?

Throwing the pick at a guy who's a bit older makes sense to me.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Its a wonderful pick, probably the best the Canucks could have made in the point. He should have been drafted in the early 2nd round, 2 years ago. Shirokov is all but certain to become a quality RSL player. I am simply not overly optimistic about him establishing himself or even bother to attempt to estblish himself as an NHL player.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Think the second coming of Pavel Datsyuk. I understand that theres some question of how much he wants to come over, which is another mitigating factor.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I think the likelyhood of him coming over is what has held other teams back to this point. Hopefully the Canucks can convince him to come join the Moose.

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
Talking about Russians who fell: Vasyunov went at 58th to New Jersey, Anisimov was drafted in the 2nd round too, and I don't know if Yuri Alexandrov even got drafted. This is strange, the transfer agreement is signed. Of course it's also that the team aren't sure if the players will come over, but not a reason for players to fall 1,5 or 2 rounds(or even more). I expected Shirokov to go where Kulemin went, but it was more than 100 selections between them.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
So in a matter of a draft Canucks picked up two offensive forward one who can play on the top line, and the other who can play on the second line... I'm pleased...

Bulldog

Jun 4, 2006
We can't judge a day after the Canucks draft these kids. We have to wait 4-5 years and then make a judgement. What percent after the 4th round actually make it to the NHL? Not a very high one at all so don't be too high on these picks. Keep a level head.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I think Bumagin, an overager drafted by Edmonton merely a few picks after Vancouver drafted Shirokov, has much more NHL potential.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I think a couple of things played a role in this.

1st. The new agreement came into place in late in the season. With a budget, I think some teams ignored Russians as it was not clear as to when/if an agreement would be reached. Therefore, maybe not as many teams were scouted the prospects as much as they scouted other prospects in other countrys.

2. W/ teams now having a 2 year period to get their prospects signed, it may act as a detriment. Russians seemed to have taken a very agreesive stance in trying to tie down there top young players to longer contracts then some of the European leagues. And if the RSL can get the income into players hands, they may not want to come over to the US right away - may be able to make more in RSL initially.

VladNYC*

Slitty said:
I think Bumagin, an overager drafted by Edmonton merely a few picks after Vancouver drafted Shirokov, has much more NHL potential.

Agreed. Shirokov rips faces too tho. Both great picks.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Great pick by the nucks, I was really hoping the Habs would nab him in one of the later rounds, the guy is full of skill. Leafs also made a pretty nice pick with another Russian in Kulemin he's another one with a first round skill set.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->