Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Johnny Oduya to a 1 year deal

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
According to this website ........ the Senators team has an average age of 29.729, highest in the NHL.

http://nhlnumbers.com/teams

It also says we have 17 players signed, so I'm not sure that number is accurate (actually, I'm sure it's not, see below).

Our average age for next season (using 31 Dec 2017 for the calculation, not sure what date they used) is 28.9, counting goalies, White and Chabot on the team, no Harpur. We get a touch older swapping White and Harpur but I doubt we keep 9 D up, so I went with White as the 13th forward. That still puts us top 5, and I'm not re-doing all the other teams,

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
We're 6th in the league in points generated per age. So yea, we're in pretty good shape considering our key contributors are all young.

That's an interesting stat............ where can I find that?

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
It was only a few years ago that we were one of the youngest teams. It's a total ******** stat that means nothing that is easily influenced by outliers because of the small population

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
What are Oduya's strengths? He doesn't score more than 1or 2 goals per season, and his +/- is just so so. Strong net front presence maybe?!

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
What are Oduya's strengths? He doesn't score more than 1or 2 goals per season, and his +/- is just so so. Strong net front presence maybe?!

Growing a nice beard he's elite at that. I would say his second best strength is being Swedish while not looking Swedish.

RICKY SPANISH

Aug 16, 2016
Hasn't he always been a steady, stay at home defenseman type?

He's getting up there in age, I'm sure he'll have keeping up with the speed of today's game. He'll bring experience and vet savvy.

I think the plan for right now is injury filler, no?

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Hasn't he always been a steady, stay at home defenseman type?

He's getting up there in age, I'm sure he'll have keeping up with the speed of today's game. He'll bring experience and vet savvy.

I think the plan for right now is injury filler, no?

Oduya brings a boatload of what HF sens members love and need. Disapointment.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
That's an interesting stat............ where can I find that?

To be honest I saw that in a post somewhere on the main boards but I'll have to find it/ do research of my own to see if it's accurate but looking at it quickly I believe it is.

Karlsson
Stone
Turris
Hoffman
Dzingel
Pageau
Smith
Ryan
Brassard

Were our biggest contributors this season. Ryan and Brassard had bad seasons which probably skews the results though and if you add MacArthur we would be higher again.

That being said, I think we have a lot of younger guys that will contribute that are coming up and no one who contributes significantly in terms of production is over 30. Compared to a lot of teams were in pretty good shape. When our vets will be old enough to see a real decline, we'll have guys ready to take their role.

Right now I only see Phaneuf who has an important role on the team and is older than 30. Burrows, Thompson, Oduya are bottom 6 role players that are here only short term and will be replaced by younger guys in a couple years quite easily. Anderson definitely affects the mean too.

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
We're 6th in the league in points generated per age. So yea, we're in pretty good shape considering our key contributors are all young.

Wait...where do you see this?

If we're the oldest team and 6th in points per age, we should be 1st-6th in total points but we aren't. Doesn't add up.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Wait...where do you see this?

If we're the oldest team and 6th in points per age, we should be 1st-6th in total points but we aren't. Doesn't add up.

Obviously percentage...... Otherwise how can you compare from team to team? Lol

Also, see my comment above. I'll try to find it tomorrow. I've seen it but if I can't find it I'll calculate it and share it.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
According to this website ........ the Senators team has an average age of 29.729, highest in the NHL.

http://nhlnumbers.com/teams

That's the website you need to check for this :

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league_home.php?leagueid=7&sort=age

According to that, Sens are the 10th "oldest team" with an average age of 27.22 years old. It's really not a big deal... The 26th oldest team has an average age of 26.22 years old, which is just 1 year younger.

Anderson (36), Oduya (35) and Hammond (29) are UFAs at the end of the year, Burrows (36), Thompson (32), Pyatt (30) and Brassard (29) the year after. Our "old guys" are MacArthur (32) with 3 years left, Phaneuf (32) with 4 years left and Ryan (30) with 5 years left.

Anderson and Burrows will be the only 2 guys that will be over 36 by the end of their deal... and they look in greater shape than their age.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I get it, Methot isn't a stat darling and never has been.

If Oduya at 2M is the same as Methot at almost 5M, GM's would have been lining up for the guy on July 1st. They weren't.

Like I said, I like him and I think he will benefit the team. He's just not a Methot replacement. The only regular physical Dman we have left now is Phaneuf. Boro and Harpur are as well, but I think both will struggle to make the opening day lineup.

Not everyone plays alongside Karlsson. Methot is a solid 2nd pairing guy.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I was thinking about how this would impact a guy like Harpur.

What makes Harpur an interesting prospect for me was that he only switched to Defense when he started Junior, or around then. This is why his scoring numbers are quite underwhelming.

Last year of junior he was developing his offensive abilities. First year in the AHL was once again a year spent learning Pro defense. The second year he produced more offense. I am hoping that this year he can continue to solidify his all around game and end up being a more capable NHL defenseman.

source

Jul 13, 2008
I was thinking about how this would impact a guy like Harpur.

What makes Harpur an interesting prospect for me was that he only switched to Defense when he started Junior, or around then. This is why his scoring numbers are quite underwhelming.

Last year of junior he was developing his offensive abilities. First year in the AHL was once again a year spent learning Pro defense. The second year he produced more offense. I am hoping that this year he can continue to solidify his all around game and end up being a more capable NHL defenseman.

The move creates more competition. It means that the young guys aren't guaranteed a spot.

After Karlsson, Ceci, and Phaneuf, we've got 5 guys competing for 3 spots:

Oduya
Claesson
Wideman
Harpur
Chabot

Who knows, maybe Englund and Jaros can put themselves in the mix too.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The move creates more competition. It means that the young guys aren't guaranteed a spot.

After Karlsson, Ceci, and Phaneuf, we've got 5 guys competing for 3 spots:

Oduya
Claesson
Wideman
Harpur
Chabot

Who knows, maybe Englund and Jaros can put themselves in the mix too.

You forgot someone: Borowiecki.

source

Jul 13, 2008
You forgot someone: Borowiecki.

True. I remember reading people talk about re-signing Boro, but he's got a year left at $1.2 million.

If Boro stays beyond this season, that would likely mean our young defencemen will have disappointed overall.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
True. I remember reading people talk about re-signing Boro, but he's got a year left at $1.2 million.

If Boro stays beyond this season, that would likely mean our young defencemen will have disappointed overall.

Assuming Karlsson, Dion and Ceci are givens to start 2018-2019 with us...

and Chabot and Claesson are near givens...

Borowiecki, Oduya and Wideman will be UFAs...

and Englund and Jaros will be under contract while Harpur will be an RFA.

I would expect at most 2 of those RFAs will be in 2018 opening night lineup but more probably one or none. Harpur should not be considered a disappointment if he's not a starter in the next year or two... he's still only 22.5 yrs old so while he has shown a lot of ability, he might not yet prove ready for the daily grind of an NHL schedule. Jaros and Englund are in similar boats although obviously both are far less tested at the NHL & AHL levels.

That would leave one DMan between Borowiecki, Oduya and Wideman to potentially (and, with our management, likely) re-sign. Is it so unlikely that Borowiecki would be the player retained in that scenario?

If Boro is eventually signed and penciled in as a top 6 DMan that is a bad sign, but he can still be a positive (spare) part of a good team.

Swisssen

Jan 23, 2010
Zurich
Get what?
tenor.gif

Last edited:

source

Jul 13, 2008
Assuming Karlsson, Dion and Ceci are givens to start 2018-2019 with us...

and Chabot and Claesson are near givens...

Borowiecki, Oduya and Wideman will be UFAs...

and Englund and Jaros will be under contract while Harpur will be an RFA.

I would expect at most 2 of those RFAs will be in 2018 opening night lineup but more probably one or none. Harpur should not be considered a disappointment if he's not a starter in the next year or two... he's still only 22.5 yrs old so while he has shown a lot of ability, he might not yet prove ready for the daily grind of an NHL schedule. Jaros and Englund are in similar boats although obviously both are far less tested at the NHL & AHL levels.

That would leave one DMan between Borowiecki, Oduya and Wideman to potentially (and, with our management, likely) re-sign. Is it so unlikely that Borowiecki would be the player retained in that scenario?

If Boro is eventually signed and penciled in as a top 6 DMan that is a bad sign, but he can still be a positive (spare) part of a good team.

I don't think it's crazy to think that Chabot, Harpur & Jaros will be NHL d-men in 2018-2019.

In a best case scenario, for 2018-2019:

Chabot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Claesson/Harpur-Jaros/Wideman
Englund

No need for Borowiecki.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't think it's crazy to think that Chabot, Harpur & Jaros will be NHL d-men in 2018-2019.

In a best case scenario, for 2018-2019:

Chabot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Claesson/Harpur-Jaros/Wideman
Englund

No need for Borowiecki.

It would be even better if there was no need for Phaneuf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad