OT: Sens Lounge XCVII: "Zorf; 21 times!" Edition

What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Is there really a difference? I guess you could make a case that dieting is a temporary restriction of what you intake, while fixing you're diet is permanent, but in reality, they both mean the same thing; changing what you eat by restricting something (calories, carbs, fats, certain types of food, ect) with the intent of achieving some sort of result (better health, weight loss, gaining muscle mass, ect).

I would say there's a fair difference. "Fixing your diet" I understand to mean rectifying pathological habits (e.g. junk food, fast food, excessive portion size, etc.), while "dieting" is subscribing to a certain specifically prescribed methodology for achieving weight loss. If we accept there is some range of "normal/healthy" eating, fixing one's diet would be bringing one down from above that threshold into that zone, while dieting would be adopting an even more restrictive diet to achieve a change.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I worked all weekend so didn’t get a chance to watch it yet.

This is heartbreaking.

Hopefully you still watch it as I’m curious what other people think. Maybe you’ll like it. I was really disappointed. Shannon’s character I felt was just a guy giving canned speeches the entire movie. Didn’t think he had much to work with as far as the script goes.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would say there's a fair difference. "Fixing your diet" I understand to mean rectifying pathological habits (e.g. junk food, fast food, excessive portion size, etc.), while "dieting" is subscribing to a certain specifically prescribed methodology for achieving weight loss. If we accept there is some range of "normal/healthy" eating, fixing one's diet would be bringing one down from above that threshold into that zone, while dieting would be adopting an even more restrictive diet to achieve a change.

Dieting isn't just about weight loss though; you could be on a restrictive diet for medical reasons, cholesterol levels being one example, diabetics often have specific diets as well. You could be a vegan for ethical reasons and have a far more restrictive diet than someone tying to achieve weight lose.

In the end, if we are to saying fixing your diet and dieting are just different ranges on a spectrum of restricting your food intake in one manner or another, you'll find you have people with permanent restrictions in their eating habits that would never self identify as being on a diet or dieting, while others with relative moderate yet temporary intake restrictions being very much self identifying as being on a diet.

Then there's the case more common with those who lose a lot of weight, where they start off on something really restrictive, and as time goes on, lessen the restrictions till they get to a maintenance level. At what point does it cease to be dieting and become fixing their diet? Perhaps one could argue at the point that it becomes maintenance and a more permanent change as opposed to something more temporary, but that same maintenance level of consumption for me might be a severe diet for someone else, so it's all relative I would thing.

TLDR; I'm argumentative today and talking nonsense but having fun doing it. Whether you want to call it dieting or fixing your diet it really doesn't matter, good on you @Harbinger for achieving the desired results,, congrats either way.

Reactions: 18Hossa

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Dieting isn't just about weight loss though; you could be on a restrictive diet for medical reasons, cholesterol levels being one example, diabetics often have specific diets as well. You could be a vegan for ethical reasons and have a far more restrictive diet than someone tying to achieve weight lose.

In the end, if we are to saying fixing your diet and dieting are just different ranges on a spectrum of restricting your food intake in one manner or another, you'll find you have people with permanent restrictions in their eating habits that would never self identify as being on a diet or dieting, while others with relative moderate yet temporary intake restrictions being very much self identifying as being on a diet.

Then there's the case more common with those who lose a lot of weight, where they start off on something really restrictive, and as time goes on, lessen the restrictions till they get to a maintenance level. At what point does it cease to be dieting and become fixing their diet? Perhaps one could argue at the point that it becomes maintenance and a more permanent change as opposed to something more temporary, but that same maintenance level of consumption for me might be a severe diet for someone else, so it's all relative I would thing.

TLDR; I'm argumentative today and talking nonsense but having fun doing it. Whether you want to call it dieting or fixing your diet it really doesn't matter, good on you @Harbinger for achieving the desired results,, congrats either way.

Hey man, I was talking about it in the context of weight loss because he was talking about losing weight! :laugh:

I definitely do not think of being vegan or having a restrictive diet for medical reasons as "dieting".

From my perspective I consider "dieting" by nature to be something unsustainable. Even if we include something like counting calories "dieting", not many people can logistically keep counting their calories for the rest of their life. At some point they will get a feel for what the proper amount of intake for them is, say, and will either be able to continue with a "normal/healthy" diet, or they will "fall off their diet" and revert to previous habits. And of course it's all relative. That should go without saying.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Hopefully you still watch it as I’m curious what other people think. Maybe you’ll like it. I was really disappointed. Shannon’s character I felt was just a guy giving canned speeches the entire movie. Didn’t think he had much to work with as far as the script goes.

Probably will. One of my favourite books ever.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Is there really a difference? I guess you could make a case that dieting is a temporary restriction of what you intake, while fixing you're diet is permanent, but in reality, they both mean the same thing; changing what you eat by restricting something (calories, carbs, fats, certain types of food, ect) with the intent of achieving some sort of result (better health, weight loss, gaining muscle mass, ect).

Basically what you said is the difference.
We use the same word to mean two different things usually:
Diet - usually a temporary 'fix' for the purpose of weight loss, usually turned into a verb (ie dieting).
Diet - lifestyle change where you permanently alter the way you eat.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
Do you mean actually dieting, or fixing your diet?

I mean by eating smart and exercising. However I do treat myself from time to time.

Thank you, good sir.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
In case anyone is interested, George Laraque will be speaking at this years Vegfest(no chara yet).
If you haven’t been, this year would be a good one to check out. Lots of really good new things to try and free food tasting.
Cookies, donuts, pizza, ice cream, sausages etc. As well as healthier stuff. It’s turned in to a pretty good ottawa event.
List of
Exhibitors

Zengarry cheeses and Sweet Cheeks desserts are two things I’d recommend. Bunch of other delicious things to try too and it’s family friendly.

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Interesting. I'm not the healthiest of eaters but I have tasted some of those foods you eat while on a diet, they're actually quite good.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
There was a post on the CFL subreddit about how Kate Beirness is the new host of Thursday Night Football. The top post, and 6 of 15 total posts were either about her appearance or her age. I don't understand why it is so important it is worth commenting on in this context, or why commenting on it is so "up-vote worthy". I mean I am a straight male so I can understand finding her attractive, but her appearance should have nothing to do with her new job of hosting a tv show. If it was an attractive man that was the new host I find it highly unlikely that there would be so much conversation about his appearance. I don't get why so much of a blind eye is turned to objectifying women that it is not only common place, but is completely socially acceptable and can garner "up-votes". But then again I have never been interested in ogling pretty women like every other guy seems to be so I guess I just don't get people.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
There was a post on the CFL subreddit about how Kate Beirness is the new host of Thursday Night Football. The top post, and 6 of 15 total posts were either about her appearance or her age. I don't understand why it is so important it is worth commenting on in this context, or why commenting on it is so "up-vote worthy". I mean I am a straight male so I can understand finding her attractive, but her appearance should have nothing to do with her new job of hosting a tv show. If it was an attractive man that was the new host I find it highly unlikely that there would be so much conversation about his appearance. I don't get why so much of a blind eye is turned to objectifying women that it is not only common place, but is completely socially acceptable and can garner "up-votes". But then again I have never been interested in ogling pretty women like every other guy seems to be so I guess I just don't get people.

First mistake is that you're on Reddit.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
Can we start a new poll? I have only one pet peeve in life, and it is when I watch the news and they say "kilometer" like some fru-fru European.

1) Kill-ah-meh-ter
2) Keel-oh-mee-ter

The latter makes me want a vasectomy to spare my children of hearing that vile sound, but I can't do that to society.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Can we start a new poll? I have only one pet peeve in life, and it is when I watch the news and they say "kilometer" like some fru-fru European.

1) Kill-ah-meh-ter
2) Keel-oh-mee-ter

The latter makes me want a vasectomy to spare my children of hearing that vile sound, but I can't do that to society.

Though the latter would be more accurate if you think about it...
I mean why is it a Sent Eee Mee Terr, but not a Kee Low Mee Terr?

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
Though the latter would be more accurate if you think about it...
I mean why is it a Sent Eee Mee Terr, but not a Kee Low Mee Terr?

It is obviously more "accurate". My point is that it is hideous and should be outlawed!

It's like the difference between drawing and tracing. Tracing is very accurate, but drawing comes from within. My pronunciation is that of a true human, as opposed to some impostor.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
It is obviously more "accurate". My point is that it is hideous and should be outlawed!

It's like the difference between drawing and tracing. Tracing is very accurate, but drawing comes from within. My pronunciation is that of a true human, as opposed to some impostor.

One of the words where the "American" way of saying it sounds better than the "English" way. Just like the word lieutenant.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Still within the greater confines of Ottawa, from Greely to Stittsville. Furniture... one really nice desk I'd rather not see get too scuffed, but beyond that I'm not especially picky. No budget set.
I just finished hell week at work. Sorry for missing this.

I think it's been said already, but if you're moving a bachelor's apartment or 1 bedroom apt worth of furniture, see if you can rent a truck and see if a couple of friends or family might help you in exchange for beer & a nice gift or dinner or something.

Anything more than a 1 bedroom apt - 100% hire movers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->