What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Cause it's star wars!

Blade runner is awesome too, saw in the theatre. Evidently I was one of the few to do so.

Villeneuve nailed the pace and feel of the original, it was like a prime Ridley Scot. Solid flick all around, that Villeneuve is one hell of a director

Loved the new Bladerunner.

Did you ever see Demolition? I believe Villeneuve directed that as well and it’s excellent. Such a strange movie.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The original Star Wars trilogy was special. Star Wars was the first movie I ever saw, and those three movies played a big part in my childhood (and toybox). Sitting in the theatre waiting for the Phantom Menace...hearing that music again..I'll admit it...it made me tear up. It was like my childhood flooding back all at once.

Unfortunately, Phantom Menace sucked, along with the rest of the second trilogy. At this point, I'm not even interested in seeing any more movies from the franchise. And that really, really sucks, considering that franchise was my childhood.

The original trilogy will always be special. but the Star Wars of today are just movies. Humbug.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
For me it was playing Knights of the Old Republic on my XBOX. Made me fall in love with the series and gaming generally.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The original Star Wars trilogy was special. Star Wars was the first movie I ever saw, and those three movies played a big part in my childhood (and toybox). Sitting in the theatre waiting for the Phantom Menace...hearing that music again..I'll admit it...it made me tear up. It was like my childhood flooding back all at once.

Unfortunately, Phantom Menace sucked, along with the rest of the second trilogy. At this point, I'm not even interested in seeing any more movies from the franchise. And that really, really sucks, considering that franchise was my childhood.

The original trilogy will always be special. but the Star Wars of today are just movies. Humbug.

The Force Awakens is a very fun ride, give it a shot. As long as you don't pay attention to internet talking heads you will enjoy it.

Going to see The Last Jedi tonight! I am so pumped.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
HOW DID they screw up the last Jedi that badly.
If I were a billionaire CEO of Disney, I'd make the Star Wars movies just OK to mess with everyone. They are guaranteed their billions of moneys anyways, as their audience will go just because of hype and nostalgia. 10/10 troll job.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If I were a billionaire CEO of Disney, I'd make the Star Wars movies just OK to mess with everyone. They are guaranteed their billions of moneys anyways, as their audience will go just because of hype and nostalgia. 10/10 troll job.
There are still pros in charge of story Last Jedi is just as bad as the prequels. Just in a different way.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
TLJ is really good imo it just has some really dumb moments. Extreme highs and extreme lows. Has probably some of my favourite SW moments ever. I think its on the level of return of the Jedi. Great in general then there's just some wtfs in there. The last hour so visually stunning, its worth seeing just for that.

Blade Runner was incredible. Pretty much the perfect scifi movie. Sad that no one went to go see it. Hollywood won't keep taking risks anymore in that genre which is a shame.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
TLJ is really good imo it just has some really dumb moments. Extreme highs and extreme lows. Has probably some of my favourite SW moments ever. I think its on the level of return of the Jedi. Great in general then there's just some wtfs in there. The last hour so visually stunning, its worth seeing just for that.

Blade Runner was incredible. Pretty much the perfect scifi movie. Sad that no one went to go see it. Hollywood won't keep taking risks anymore in that genre which is a shame.

I don't want to spoil the movie but. No. No. No no I hate tlj

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I don't want to spoil the movie but. No. No. No no I hate tlj
I can certainly see why some won't like TLJ, but for me the character arcs of Rey, Ben and Luke all really seal it for me. Their story and characters have been so well handled and are all super super satisfying. The bad is questionable decisions with other characters. Some just didn't need to exist in the first place and you could edit out a significant portion of the movie to help the pacing. You're always wanting to get back to their stories when they're not on the screen imo.

It could have probably done with fewer jokes and quips, which somewhat clashed with the tone at times. The other things to take issue with are that some of the big mysteries brought up in TFA end up really not mattering or being pushed aside.

I really love Kylo Ren. He's a fantastic character and the Anakin we deserved from the prequels. I'm really excited at where he can go in IX.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I've heard good things about Blade Runner...but I'm skipping that in principle. No re-boots, re-imaginings, or re-dos of classic movies for me. Hollywood needs to get their collective heads out of the past and leave the classics alone. Create new stories, new worlds, and new characters for the audience.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I've heard good things about Blade Runner...but I'm skipping that in principle. No re-boots, re-imaginings, or re-dos of classic movies for me. Hollywood needs to get their collective heads out of the past and leave the classics alone. Create new stories, new worlds, and new characters for the audience.
Its a sequel and its probably the best movie of the year and best scifi movie of the last decade.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It is a direct sequel too. Probably the second best big budget movie I saw this year behind Dunkirk which was just outstanding.

Just got home from The Last Jedi and I really enjoyed it. The others I was with seemed to think it didn't live up to the Star Wars name but I loved how they played on expectations and Kylo is just so damn awesome.

Agreed on a bit too much humour and a lot of fluff (that little sidequest they go on was pretty damn dumb and added nothing to the movie. At least it was short) that wasn't needed but I can live with that. A really satisfying ending and some great character development for Luke and Poe.

Reactions: FolignoQuantumLeap

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Wow!

I had no idea the "user reviews" for The Last Jedi were so poor.

I love that it stems from mostly butt hurt nerds though!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I can certainly see why some won't like TLJ, but for me the character arcs of Rey, Ben and Luke all really seal it for me. Their story and characters have been so well handled and are all super super satisfying. The bad is questionable decisions with other characters. Some just didn't need to exist in the first place and you could edit out a significant portion of the movie to help the pacing. You're always wanting to get back to their stories when they're not on the screen imo.

It could have probably done with fewer jokes and quips, which somewhat clashed with the tone at times. The other things to take issue with are that some of the big mysteries brought up in TFA end up really not mattering or being pushed aside.

I really love Kylo Ren. He's a fantastic character and the Anakin we deserved from the prequels. I'm really excited at where he can go in IX.
I love kylo. Awesome character. As do arcs. That's just it?! There are no arcs. Well no. There's "arcs". But they're perfect circles. There's character development. And then there's character de-development

The comedy was a the best part. It got the desired reaction from me.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
There’s some stuff I liked and disliked. Did anyone find the first five minutes of the film weird though?

I thought I was watching a Mel Brooks film with that opening sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->