What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Not willing to sacrifice my ride for some dumbass tailgater
Same. I'm a naturally cautious and defensive driver, but I can't imagine why anyone would willingly be hyper-aggressive in driving. If someone cuts me off, I'll be upset for a second, but I don't let that stay with me.

On the other hand, if a lane is closing up ahead and a driver tries to skip their turn by jamming to the front and forcing their way into the congestion, I'll do everything in my power to block them out. It's my one true weak point as a driver but dammit, I get so frustrated by it. It's an extra minute's wait, max, usually.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
what drives me nuts is people who tailgate me when I'm following someone else at the flow of traffic, but am giving an appropriate amount of space (during rush hour). Even worse is when they scoot over to the right lane and make an effort to pass me, only to find themselves going the exact same speed, but in front of me instead of behind me and tailgating the guy in front. Every now and then I'll pull up next to someone in the right lane and just match their speed if somebody is severely tailgating just for the lol.

The whole left lane is only for passing theory kind of breaks down in rush hour where the right land is more of a collector lane for those getting on and off the highways. If you're going 30+ km it makes no sense to be in the right or middle lane the entire time.

It does break down for a 2 lane highway, but NOT a three lane highway. And it depends the location of the highway too.

The problem is, if everyone followed the rules (like semi truck drivers) then the left lane wouldn't clog. I mean I dont know about there, but the interstate here there's always signs constantly saying "use right lane except to PASS".

Heck, If I head into the left lane, I pass as fast as possible, then I move my ass back over. I don't dilly dally, especially if I notice if cars going faster than me are pulling up the rear.

It's just a massive pet peeve of mine. Left lane campers need to be sent to the gulags.

Reactions: RaMai and Smash88

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I have a car and drive myself around etc. But I frequently find myself in my friends car when we do roadtrips or camping or something like that. He will get in the left lane and just sit there doing 109. He is oblivious to the cars filling his mirrors. I can't not backseat drive when I'm in the car with him. Either that or I just avoid it completely.

I'd slap your friend. My GF didn't even know about left lanes used to pass and she used to camp, after my entire huge rant about it she doesn't do it anymore (she could tell its a very passionate subject of mine, haha). I think she was shocked because I am one of the most calm, laid back people you will ever meet, but get me out onto a highway and I can flip my shit in no time.

Reactions: branch and RaMai

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I'd slap your friend. My GF didn't even know about left lanes used to pass and she used to camp, after my entire huge rant about it she doesn't do it anymore (she could tell its a very passionate subject of mine, haha). I think she was shocked because I am one of the most calm, laid back people you will ever meet, but get me out onto a highway and I can flip my **** in no time.
Better than flipping your car.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Does anyone commute from Gatineau to Ottawa? Some of the worst traffic infractions happen around the bridges in rush hour. Sneaking into the turning lane, making illegal U-turns, driving 100 in a 60 on the parkway... I drive by the Island park bridge daily since I commute from Hintonburg to Kanata, and it's a shit show every time.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That's the one thing I enjoy about working 3rd shift. Usually no traffic whatsoever on the roads. Only thing I have to worry about are the farmers on their tractors going around clearing driveways and small businesses in the middle of the night. Unfortunately, the rare occasion when I'm on vacation and drive into Ottawa during the day turns into a nightmare...gets claustrophobic very quickly when you're not used to so many people on the roads.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
You guys should try driving in Europe. I find it intimidating enough from a passenger's perspective to never attempt it. What this gives me is the moral high ground to hate on all drivers :P. Frig, a couple weeks back a driver here hit FOUR people, two of them died, and on the Facebook group for my neighbourhood someone posted something along the lines of "serves them right", assuming they were running across the road, which a) was not the case, the pedestrians had a green, and b) WTF?!?

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I'm not fully applying brakes and coming to a dead stop. Quick tap and the lights go on. If people want to follow that closely they should be prepared.

I literally ruin the day of anyone who tailgates me. I don't tap the brakes. I take my foot off the gas and very gradually slow down. I'll go 20Km/h down a road for all I care. If they try to pass, I gun it and stay ahead of them. Once they pull back behind me, I do the same thing again. I've once done this to a guy tailgating me all the way down Boundary Rd from Russell to the highway. The guy was losing his mind. He never stopped tailgating though.

If you're tailgating me, then you're going to regret every decision you've made in your life that led you to be within 3ft of my bumper.

I remember driving literally in the middle of a 2 lane road going slow as balls just to block a guy from passing me. It was amazing. If they finally do get around me, I flash the biggest shit eating grin you've ever seen.

Obviously there were no cars coming in the other direction, and if another car came up behind us, I'd start driving like a normal person. I'm not out to ruin the day of an innocent motorist.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I literally ruin the day of anyone who tailgates me. I don't tap the brakes. I take my foot off the gas and very gradually slow down. I'll go 20Km/h down a road for all I care. If they try to pass, I gun it and stay ahead of them. Once they pull back behind me, I do the same thing again. I've once done this to a guy tailgating me all the way down Boundary Rd from Russell to the highway. The guy was losing his mind. He never stopped tailgating though.

If you're tailgating me, then you're going to regret every decision you've made in your life that led you to be within 3ft of my bumper.

I remember driving literally in the middle of a 2 lane road going slow as balls just to block a guy from passing me. It was amazing. If they finally do get around me, I flash the biggest **** eating grin you've ever seen.

Obviously there were no cars coming in the other direction, and if another car came up behind us, I'd start driving like a normal person. I'm not out to ruin the day of an innocent motorist.

Whenever I pull shit like this and get away with it, I think to myself "glad I live in Canada". I wouldn't have the stones to behave like I sometimes do down there.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Whenever I pull **** like this and get away with it, I think to myself "glad I live in Canada". I wouldn't have the stones to behave like I sometimes do down there.

Haha. I never thought of that in relation to my antics, but I do quite regularly feel happy that I live in Canada and not down there.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

I remember driving literally in the middle of a 2 lane road going slow as balls just to block a guy from passing me. It was amazing. If they finally do get around me, I flash the biggest **** eating grin you've ever seen.

Meh, life is too short to be doing stuff like that.

Just move over and let them pass and go on with your day.

Tailgating isn't cool, but doing this isn't really any better in my opinion.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Just don't be a left lane highway hog! I tailgate the shit out of those people even if all I had to do was use the right lane to pass. I would rather just tailgate them to see if they actually move over.

I don't know why it grinds my gears so badly, someone could cut me off on an intersection and I really couldn't care less, left lane hogs though, I feel like its greedy and selfish and they don't care about other drivers on the road, maybe that's it.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I didn't know this until I looked into it, but blocking the left lane is apparently subject to a $167 fine and three demerits under the B.C. Motor Vehicle Act.

(Also learned in this research: the Ontario Motor Vehicle Act states: "No person shall race or drive furiously any horse or other animal on a highway.")

As long as I can race my horse down my residential street, it's all good.

haha.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I didn't know this until I looked into it, but blocking the left lane is apparently subject to a $167 fine and three demerits under the B.C. Motor Vehicle Act.

(Also learned in this research: the Ontario Motor Vehicle Act states: "No person shall race or drive furiously any horse or other animal on a highway.")

#freetheleftlane

Who wants to put up billboards with me? :D

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I'm not fully applying brakes and coming to a dead stop. Quick tap and the lights go on. If people want to follow that closely they should be prepared.

Nor did this guy. It may have been more than a tap but he didn't slow to a dead stop.

While I don't think people should follow that closely (because you cannot control unsafe actions of others so you should be prepared), but if you caused an accident because of it, and someone died, you could be charged (even if you didn't full stop).

Two wrongs don't make a right.

I'm of the opinion that getting angry and trying to get revenge on the road isn't the greatest or safest idea. So I stay away from that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->