• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I have seen plenty of people talk on this site about how the mods are so strict

The kind of people that complain about HF Mods are, for the most part in my experience, the same people who want free license to treat others like crap.

Or... they feel as though particular mods are "out to get them personally", like a vendetta or something. I know I had more than my fair share of that particular brand of garbage reasoning when I was a mod.

... I have never got an infraction on this site

That's because you actually engage in meaningful conversation, instead of trying to win arguments by loudly attacking anyone who doesn't share your view on a particular subject.

It seems simple, but you'd be surprised how much some people think that a little anonymity gives them free licence to be as big a ***** as they possibly can.

and I swear that half the threads I start on Reddit are removed for a stupid rule.

Honestly, it depends entirely on the subreddit and the mods. There are some good subreddits (admittedly fewer and fewer than there used to be), and others that are either too big to properly moderate (and therefore the understaffed mods are more likely to be far less forgiving and remove posts on technicalities to the sub's rules, due to the sheer scale of the job), or are moderated by people with less-than-altruistic intentions.

r/Canada is a sub that I almost never go to anymore - the mods there are beyond useless, and encourage so much garbage content that it's just not worth my time.

In fact, reddit as a whole is probably best consumed in very small doses. It can be a very mentally damaging place to frequent if you do it often, if you're not careful.

Last edited:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
The kind of people that complain about HF Mods are, for the most part in my experience, the same people who want free license to treat others like crap.

Or... they feel as though particular mods are "out to get them personally", like a vendetta or something. I know I had more than my fair share of that particular brand of garbage reasoning when I was a mod.

That's because you actually engage in meaningful conversation, instead of trying to win arguments by loudly attacking anyone who doesn't share your view on a particular subject.

It seems simple, but you'd be surprised how much some people think that a little anonymity gives them free licence to be as big a ***** as they possibly can.

Honestly, it depends entirely on the subreddit and the mods. There are some good subreddits (admittedly fewer and fewer than there used to be), and others that are either too big to properly moderate (and therefore the understaffed mods are more likely to be far less forgiving and remove posts on technicalities to the sub's rules, due to the sheer scale of the job), or are moderated by people with less-than-altruistic intentions.

r/Canada is a sub that I almost never go to anymore - the mods there are beyond useless, and encourage so much garbage content that it's just not worth my time.

In fact, reddit as a whole is probably best consumed in very small doses. It can be a very mentally damaging place to frequent if you do it often, if you're not careful.

Yeah definitely depends on the sub. What I was referring to was my latest post to be instantly closed down was a question on Ask Reddit asking if people whose usernames are something like PM_Me_Apples actually get those kind of PMs. But other examples that have annoyed me are adding text to an AskReddit question, not formatting stuff properly in music, giving too brief an explanation in explainlikeImfive, etc

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Man 5 weeks of no working out have left me super weak lol. Going to take a while to work back to where I was pre-vacation. Nothing is free I guess.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I have seen plenty of people talk on this site about how the mods are so strict, and that Reddit is so much better. But I have never got an infraction on this site and I swear that half the threads I start on Reddit are removed for a stupid rule.

As a mod both here and on a subreddit with more than 50k subscribers, I think the mitigating factor often isn't necessarily the quality of mod, but rather the quality of posters. With some exceptions, I tend to view moderators as people trying to ease conversation, not force it along certain lines. It's a volunteer job, so getting a big ego over it is pointless and only likely to breed hostility.

With that said, Bonk nailed it as far as Reddit goes. The best subs tend to be the smaller, more niche communities specifically because of a lessened need to moderate. When you get large groups – especially large groups who get way too involved in the subject matter or take it entirely too personally – that's where the issues are bound to rise and that's where there can be very little leeway as far as breaking the rule rather than the spirit of the rule.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Reddit is such a strange place. I love it and hate it at the same time.

Every sub has its own weird, weird rules that are annoying... I've also tried to post things and had them auto- taken down.

But its also those rules and specializations all over the place that make it so interesting. You can get into these weird niches and ask a question about something and people go so far out of their way to get you information.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I think every infraction I ever got on here I knew I was going to get after I posted, but just said F it. :laugh: I occasionally get sucked in and take the bait.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
So today's the due date right?
HIPA needs to check in with a status update so we don't assume!

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa

To be fair Bonk, you've gone after my posts a few times and instead of addressing the substance of what I'm saying (even if I tend to get hyperbolic), you instead jump right to attacking my past username to invalidate it.

Not trying to start anything, just pointing out that when emotions run high we all sometimes skip the meaningful aspect of discussion.

My point is that sometimes doling out infractions too quickly can throw fuel on an already hot emotional fire, when perhaps a heated discussion could just work itself out on its own.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
So today's the due date right?
HIPA needs to check in with a status update so we don't assume!

Haha tomorrow is technically the day... but my OB says probably not for another week. She's comfy in there!

So now I'm thinking of buying prospect tournament tickets for Saturday!

How's parenting going!?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
To be fair Bonk, you've gone after my posts a few times and instead of addressing the substance of what I'm saying (even if I tend to get hyperbolic), you instead jump right to attacking my past username to invalidate it.

Yep, but usually only when you unfairly attack the fanbase, or threatening your fandom of the team over ridiculous things for various reasons (most recently, I believe it was over the design of the new jersey that made you "less a fan"?)

Under those circumstances (usually the only time I point it out), my argument about your past allegiances has actual substantive merit, and I will continue to use that line of argument in future cases when I feel you are being thoroughly unfair to the fanbase (like when you were attacking the paying fans/ STHs at the arena for not being more like soccer fans), or threatening to cut up your "fan card" over thoroughly silly reasons.

If you're going to play fast and loose with your fandom of this team, or dare to attack others for not enjoying the team the same way you do, you will get called out on it. Period.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Haha tomorrow is technically the day... but my OB says probably not for another week. She's comfy in there!

My son was 10 days late, but we think that maybe the docs got the due date wrong.

I mean, it's probably best that we induced when we did, he was 10lbs,6oz after all, but it took FOREVER to induce - he did not want to come out at all, and was even in distress a bit at birth from the induction process.

We actually think he was right on time, and just happened to be a humongous gorilla baby as well.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
My son was 10 days late, but we think that maybe the docs got the due date wrong.

I mean, it's probably best that we induced when we did, he was 10lbs,6oz after all, but it took FOREVER to induce - he did not want to come out at all, and was even in distress a bit at birth from the induction process.

We actually think he was right on time, and just happened to be a humongous gorilla baby as well.

You're a big dude, what was your birth weight? I was 10 on the nose.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

That's a big baby. This one won't be that big at all (neither of us are that big though... bf is only 5'8" and smaller in stature than i am)!

I will likely be induced next week if things don't progress on their own (partly because I'm not thrilled to go much beyond 41 weeks -- working with newborns all the time gives you funny opinions on labour/delivery); but if I'm anything like my mom I'll have zero progress then one day my body will be like yup... it's time and the baby will be born in like 4 hrs.

I'm definitely impatient though. Even though I've felt the best I've ever felt this whole time. So I've enjoyed eating everything in sight! But she can come any time now!

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Dat Bank of Canada rate increase.

It's wild to me how indebted the populace has become when a 1% overnight lending rate causes such trepidation.

This rising CAD thing ain't cool. I'm getting paid in USD and losing money by the second here.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

It's wild to me how indebted the populace has become when a 1% overnight lending rate causes such trepidation.

It's crazy to me! 50% of ppl living pay check to pay check is nuts!

I will say I am addicted to reading comments on news articles about this. I really have nothing better to do right now!

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Just a reminder to watch Jeff Nichols' movies like Midnight Special, Mud, Take Shelter, ....

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
It's been a while since we've all shared these.

6602998326.png

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I don't know anyone who is worried about it.

I don't think it is at the forefront of the everyday person honestly. It's just a big story and this is Canada, not a lot of people, so the same big ticket item gets used by everyone.

Don't get me started with how all our big media is owned by the same people....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->