OT: Sens Lounge XCVII: "Zorf; 21 times!" Edition

What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Thanks for the well wishes guys. I got to Brooklyn in one piece and my apartment actually exists/wasn’t a scam so that’s going in the W column.

Now hopefully my truck full of stuff gets here too lol.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
What about rugs and slippers?
Never cheap out of rugs. They really tie a room together.
Thanks for the well wishes guys. I got to Brooklyn in one piece and my apartment actually exists/wasn’t a scam so that’s going in the W column.

Now hopefully my truck full of stuff gets here too lol.
Awesome! Glad to hear you've made it in one piece.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
$700 down the drain. Ran over a screw and the flat can't be replaced. I also have a Subaru AWD and the tires aren't new enough to put a brand new tire on so I need four tires. Sigh. I'm at 24K miles too.

Michigan roads are the worst in the country between massive potholes and debris everywhere.

Ouch! That's the one thing I hate most about vehicles...all those unexpected expenses/repairs. Hard to budget sometimes, and everything with vehicles is stupidly expensive.

I live in a rural area outside of Ottawa....the roads suck so badly. If they increased the speed limit out there ways, most cars would be in the ditch in a hurry with the potholes and frayed road edges. Funny how many of the younger lads I work with drive their cars like they're on a nascar track, only to end up in the shop a week later. I keep telling them, the best shocks in the world will still fail when the roads are bad enough.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I liked visiting Switz. My sister lived there for two years. Sounds like you've built up one hell of a distain, Bonk.

I'm nursing my worn tires for another month before switching to my winters.. then it's new tire purchase time over winter. At least you didn't have to buy truck tires, prices skyrocket for those vs a sedan/wagon. Having to buy all 4 new because of AWD sucks though.

I have been using Goldwing lately, and they have been good. I used to go through TireRack, and had tires shipped to my house. Initial Tuning is good but unreliable, and the closet to Tire Rack price, as they get their tires from the US border and drive them over.

I have purchased rims/tires lately which save a lot on mounting costs, and also even with the rim, tend to be about the same price as the larger tire only size.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Moving company told me that it could take 3 weeks to get my stuff from Ottawa to New York. Ended up taking like 3 business days lol.

So happy I could get that done before I started work.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Well we all knew it was coming at some point, but Gord Downie passed away last night.

RIP, He gave us a lot while he was here, he will be missed for sure

Reactions: 18Hossa

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well we all knew it was coming at some point, but Gord Downie passed away last night.

RIP, He gave us a lot while he was here, he will be missed for sure

Damn....didn't think he'd be gone so fast. Feels like yesterday CBC showed their last concert.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Mindhunters is an unbelievably good show

Yeah it's legit. The actor portraying Edmund Kemper is unreal.

I like that even though it's dramatized, it at least tries to stick to some realism about how police operate and interview, and about how profiling came to be and how it works.

In comparison, the show 'The Blacklist' , I immediately turned off like 1 minute into, when James Spader's character walks into the FBI and surrenders, and everyone draws their firearms and stands around him in a giant circle (which would never happen) , I said nope I'm out.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Damn....didn't think he'd be gone so fast.

My dad passed away from brain cancer just over a year ago, at a too-young 62 years old.

From the time of his diagnosis to the time he passed away, he got 10 months of awful, "wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy" quality of life. Worst part about brain cancer is that the person you knew all your life disappears way before they die, due to where the tumor is - personalities change, disposition changes, tempers you didn't know they were capable of suddenly appear; they are essentially a different person with all of the same memories of the one they left behind. It is a miserable, unforgiving disease. My father passed away within 48 hours of being taken off the decadron (steroids they use to keep the tumor at bay) at the hospice, once he entered the final stages of the cancer - it became very apparent that the only thing keeping him alive for months had been the decadron.

It was the exact same cancer Gord was diagnosed with. When the news came that he had brain cancer, it was like re-living my own dad's passing - it was less than a month after my dad had died, and the Hip are my favorite band. Knowing what Gord was about to go through was like getting stabbed in the back a second time. The media didn't do the disease justice - how brutal it can be, and what kind of battle Gord was in for. That by all outward indications Gord was able to lead a happy and peaceful life for over a year and a half after diagnosis (IIRC, he was diagnosed around Dec 2015) to me is a miracle. He got far more time than many who receive the same diagnosis, and I am thoroughly proud of and genuinely awe-struck by the man for carrying himself the way he did in that time - he lived his life as he wanted to live it, continued to bring joy to a country that revered him by refusing to let his illness prevent him from making music, and fought an incurable, inevitable monster with a light that shines as bright as anyone this country has ever produced.

I've been crying on and off for about an hour at this point, from about 5 seconds after I heard the news - Gord will forever be linked to my dad, not just because we were both fans of their music, but in the way both men passed: the same cancer, one given the same death sentence almost immediately as the other one was taken from me. Two men that hold very big parts of my heart for very different reasons, linked by the most unfortunate of circumstances. Hearing news of Gord's passing naturally made me think of my father's passing; which a year and a half later I've been able to manage my feelings about, but now and then you still get the unfortunately too-familiar pangs of heartache. Today, it is like re-living my father's death over again, and while it's the furthest thing from "fun" that I can think of, I'm going to raise a glass of Canadian beer I've been saving (hard to get in Europe sometimes) in honour of him, and my father. Two men who were taken far too soon. Hopefully, I can honour my dad's legacy privately as much as this country will honour Gord's publicly.

Here's to you, Gord & Rob.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Well, not much one can do to top Bonk's eulogy. Cheers GD, and thanks for the tunes

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I'm the opposite. I'm surprised he was around as long as he was given the aggressive nature of his diagnosis.

Same, I had an "inside source" (ie knew someone who was friends with an extended family member) commented that he wasn't expecting to make it into 2017 to begin with. So to make it to October is a blessing in some respects?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Knew that gord dying was only a matter of time,and I'm surprised how long he lasted. Still though, his voice was the soundtrack of most of my life. The poetry in his lyrics, the metaphor that made it so they could mean different things to every one listening. That's art to me. The tragically hip have meant a lot to me over the years, and I sincerely hope that their music lives on past the couple of generations that grew up with it.

Feels like a lost a piece of me today. Which is strange because I never.met the man. But I guess he influenced me all the same.

A sad day, that's for sure.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Got to see Downie in concert in 2013. The concert included Blue Rodeo, Matt Minglewood, a local band here in Newfoundland and the Eagles. The Tragically Hip particularly Gord Downie stole the show. RIP to a legend.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Tragically Hip was the soundtrack for my high school life, through the tumultuous highs and lows of discovering your own identity in the midst of all that chaos.

Figuring out who your friends are, and what kind of person you want to be. Their music will always be inextricably linked with major milestones in my life.

I've seen them 10 times live in concert, starting with Another Roadside Attraction in 1995 in the cold, dank and muddy Rideau Carleton Raceway. Gord remarked, "Seeing the steam rise...from your sweaty, dirty, slick bodies...reminds me of only one thing....the Inevitability of Death!", and launched into that song. And we cheered that bizarre remark as one cheered anything Gord said or did.

Being a Hip fan in their prime was like being part of a club. People you would meet, you would ask them what their favourite Hip song was, and have a discussion. No two people would like the same song, or the same album, for the same reasons.

And inevitably, when you met Americans, you would try to explain to them what the deal was. And it was difficult to articulate. And as has been said elsewhere, eventually that became part of their allure. They were Canada's own, and no one else could really get it. (until I saw a show in Syracuse, and met rabid Hip fans from Buffalo who would listen to them on Canadian radio stations, way to go Yanks!)

They also came about during the CanCon controversy, when radio stations were required by the CRTC to increase the amount of Canadian content (first in the 80s, and then in 1999). I can recall being pretty irate at the time, "How dare the government do this?", but the surprising end result was a burgeoning pride in our music scene, recognition of our own talent, and a swelling of Canadian interest in our place in the world and our history.

Gord made us interested in ourselves, as Canadians, telling us that our stories, our culture and our history were important, and worth celebrating, condemning or discussing. Somehow, in spite of, or perhaps because of, his crazy antics, his extensive conversations with fruit or microphone stands on stage, his exotic collection of hats, he managed to speak for an entire nation.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
My dad passed away from brain cancer just over a year ago, at a too-young 62 years old.

From the time of his diagnosis to the time he passed away, he got 10 months of awful, "wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy" quality of life. Worst part about brain cancer is that the person you knew all your life disappears way before they die, due to where the tumor is - personalities change, disposition changes, tempers you didn't know they were capable of suddenly appear; they are essentially a different person with all of the same memories of the one they left behind. It is a miserable, unforgiving disease. My father passed away within 48 hours of being taken off the decadron (steroids they use to keep the tumor at bay) at the hospice, once he entered the final stages of the cancer - it became very apparent that the only thing keeping him alive for months had been the decadron.

It was the exact same cancer Gord was diagnosed with. When the news came that he had brain cancer, it was like re-living my own dad's passing - it was less than a month after my dad had died, and the Hip are my favorite band. Knowing what Gord was about to go through was like getting stabbed in the back a second time. The media didn't do the disease justice - how brutal it can be, and what kind of battle Gord was in for. That by all outward indications Gord was able to lead a happy and peaceful life for over a year and a half after diagnosis (IIRC, he was diagnosed around Dec 2015) to me is a miracle. He got far more time than many who receive the same diagnosis, and I am thoroughly proud of and genuinely awe-struck by the man for carrying himself the way he did in that time - he lived his life as he wanted to live it, continued to bring joy to a country that revered him by refusing to let his illness prevent him from making music, and fought an incurable, inevitable monster with a light that shines as bright as anyone this country has ever produced.

I've been crying on and off for about an hour at this point, from about 5 seconds after I heard the news - Gord will forever be linked to my dad, not just because we were both fans of their music, but in the way both men passed: the same cancer, one given the same death sentence almost immediately as the other one was taken from me. Two men that hold very big parts of my heart for very different reasons, linked by the most unfortunate of circumstances. Hearing news of Gord's passing naturally made me think of my father's passing; which a year and a half later I've been able to manage my feelings about, but now and then you still get the unfortunately too-familiar pangs of heartache. Today, it is like re-living my father's death over again, and while it's the furthest thing from "fun" that I can think of, I'm going to raise a glass of Canadian beer I've been saving (hard to get in Europe sometimes) in honour of him, and my father. Two men who were taken far too soon. Hopefully, I can honour my dad's legacy privately as much as this country will honour Gord's publicly.

Here's to you, Gord & Rob.

That's a horrible thing to go through once...going through it twice, I can't fathom.

Cancer sucks. My father comes from a large rural family (a dozen brother and sisters), and damned near every one of them has had cancer, or was taken from us due to the disease. In my 40s now, and now several of my cousins are gone. It's evil how cancer seems to pick a family tree and devastate it. Life is so damned cruel....makes you wonder how any benevolent entity would include this kind of suffering onto living beings. f*** cancer.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah it's legit. The actor portraying Edmund Kemper is unreal.

I like that even though it's dramatized, it at least tries to stick to some realism about how police operate and interview, and about how profiling came to be and how it works.

In comparison, the show 'The Blacklist' , I immediately turned off like 1 minute into, when James Spader's character walks into the FBI and surrenders, and everyone draws their firearms and stands around him in a giant circle (which would never happen) , I said nope I'm out.
I don't think the Blacklist is meant to be taken too seriously or meant to be chillingly (or close to) realistic.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Facebook seems to be down all over Europe and I have nowhere to complain about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad