OT: Sens Lounge XCVII: "Zorf; 21 times!" Edition

What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You also have to take into account the condition of roads....especially those outside of the cities. 130 is fine in the Queensway, but I wouldn't go that fast outside of city limits.

And when teaching your son to drive, remind him there are all sorts or drivers and skill sets on the roads. Everyone from the 16-year-old who is just learning, to the soccer moms, to the wannabe nascar drivers, to the grandparents and great grandparents. Reaction times can be vastly different, especially with older folks.

True. I find that he in general is pretty good but it not aware of his surroundings too much, doesn't check his mirrors much while driving. He also is a terrible parker, maybe because he is scared of scratching Dad's Cars!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The thing is that both of these ballots I really don't care about the results. They both only have two candidates. One is separate (Catholic) school board and I am completely against public funding for any religious institution. The other is city councillor, and both candidates are pretty lacking, one in terms of policy and instead filling their website with meaningless generalize ideological dog whistles that don't even line up with my political opinions. The other is the incumbent and after digging around a bit more I did find he had a good section on his website for policy, but I find myself disagreeing with his ideas a lot more than agreeing. I didn't think about it until just now, but perhaps I could decline my ballot.

If you want your note to be read, send it in to the local paper. Letters to the editor that get published still have a fairly big audience.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
True. I find that he in general is pretty good but it not aware of his surroundings too much, doesn't check his mirrors much while driving. He also is a terrible parker, maybe because he is scared of scratching Dad's Cars!

One thing I noticed that helps with driving skills, even with an old fart like me, is to watch the collision videos on youtube. It's amazing how many people make the same mistakes in intersections, or how many don't respect large vehicles (so many little cars getting crushed by the 'wide turn'), or how quickly a speeding car loses control. And there's some great instructional videos showing cars on ice...both what they do right and wrong. Something that wasn't around when I was a student driver (and a helluva lot more informative than all the boring class lectures that I got back in the day).

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
This is fake right? The logo looks off to me, but I am not 100% confident in my ability to tell apart fakes from legit jerseys.
upload_2017-10-11_23-11-51.png

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
This is fake right? The logo looks off to me, but I am not 100% confident in my ability to tell apart fakes from legit jerseys.
View attachment 79251

I'd need to see more pictures, but at first it looks like an early 90's CCM replica to me.

Logo looks consistent with jerseys from that era. Maybe you just aren't used to seeing the word mark in the logo, instead of the laurels? They changed that in 1997, and also made the black border on the outline of the logo thicker (it is thinner on these older jerseys).

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
The first time I ever voted I was looking forward to spoiling my ballot in a creative way, but it turned out the ballot was all black with just a white circle to mark your choice so there wasn't even any space for such shenanigans. Speaking of which I just got my voting slips in the mail, got my first real czech elections coming up!

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
That Wonder Woman chick is terrible. Gal gadot or whatever. She can't act. And her character is f***ing dumb. She's like a sidekick to that dufus in her own movie. And don't get me started on that dufus whatever his name is.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
And don't get me started on that dufus whatever his name is.

Do you mean Chris Pine?

You can't possibly be talking about Chris Pine, because Chris Pine is great, but I'm struggling to think of another actor in that movie you would be referring to. But if it can't be another actor in that movie, then it must be Chris Pine you're talking about, but it can't be Chris Pine you're talking about, because he's amazing.

Look at this paradox you have created!

That Wonder Woman chick is terrible. Gal gadot or whatever. She can't act. And her character is ****ing dumb.

Eh, the character of Wonder Woman, the way they wrote it, is just about the most wooden, basic, uninteresting character imaginable. Gadot might not be an Academy Award hopeful or anything, but she didn't have a lot to work with on that film, especially considering it's a Zack Snyder vehicle, where script & story always take a backseat to visuals and odd "doesn't quite fit the mood" music choices.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
That Wonder Woman chick is terrible. Gal gadot or whatever. She can't act. And her character is ****ing dumb. She's like a sidekick to that dufus in her own movie. And don't get me started on that dufus whatever his name is.
Spoilers abound below. You've been warned.

I watched it with my sister and we both agreed the movie had a few major flaws:
  • The movie, like most superhero movies, felt as though it was pandering to its audience. Fine, no foul... but it seemed to focus on that moreso than any semblance of a cohesive plot.
  • To that last point, the script felt more like a "hey, look at how badass Gail Gadot is" vehicle than anything cohesive.
  • A lot of battle scenes lose their impact once you remember the whole movie is told from the standpoint of a flashback rather than in the moment. Sure, nobody expects Wonder Woman to die, but the possibility of it is what lends major fight scenes any gravitas.
  • David Thewlis is laughably unbelievable as the big bad.
  • The island and the league of warriors were easily the most entertaining part of the movie and they were abandoned way too early.
  • Ultimately, even for a blockbuster film, it was pretty bland and forgettable.
...BUT the one thing we agreed the movie did well was showcase Chris Pine. You're way off on that one IMO.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
View attachment 79251

The only other picture in the ad is pretty much the same one turned sideways. It wasn't really the word mark that looked off it was more the material I guess. It kinda looks like it is "bubbling up" at one spot :dunno:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The only other picture in the ad is pretty much the same one turned sideways. It wasn't really the word mark that looked off it was more the material I guess. It kinda looks like it is "bubbling up" at one spot :dunno:

Honestly, it looks totally fine to me, and I've handled hundreds of those old early 90's CCMs.

They just weren't good quality jerseys back then - very thin ultrafil material that picks easily, crest is flatter than later designs would be, etc... Also, remember that those jerseys fit at LEAST a full size smaller than Reebok ones do. If you take a M in the Reebok, you'd need a L in those old CCMs. They have shorter sleeves and a shorter hem than newer jerseys, too.

If you're really not sure, just ask the seller to send you a picture of the tags on the inside. If you want, you can send me those pictures and I can give you a more confident assessment of the jersey, but as is right now, I'm fairly confident that it looks legit. Not 100% confident, but pretty close.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Also: **** this country. **** you, Switzerland. You can eat my arse for all I care.

We're 95% sure we're moving back to Ottawa within the next 6 months. I can't wait to GTFO of this miserable purgatory.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
$700 down the drain. Ran over a screw and the flat can't be replaced. I also have a Subaru AWD and the tires aren't new enough to put a brand new tire on so I need four tires. Sigh. I'm at 24K miles too.

Michigan roads are the worst in the country between massive potholes and debris everywhere.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
$700 down the drain. Ran over a screw and the flat can't be replaced. I also have a Subaru AWD and the tires aren't new enough to put a brand new tire on so I need four tires. Sigh. I'm at 24K miles too.

Michigan roads are the worst in the country between massive potholes and debris everywhere.

So, I don't know about where you are, but up here, some retailers, like Canadian Tire, offer an insurance for your tires; I think it was about 35 bucks for four tires on my Focus, and it covers them for 5 years. They'll fix them if possible, and replace two (or four on a AWD vehicle like your Subaru) if the damage is not reparable. Typically I am against getting 'insurance' on stuff like this, but I've got terrible luck with tires, so I went ahead and did it last time mine were changed.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
So, I don't know about where you are, but up here, some retailers, like Canadian Tire, offer an insurance for your tires; I think it was about 35 bucks for four tires on my Focus, and it covers them for 5 years. They'll fix them if possible, and replace two (or four on a AWD vehicle like your Subaru) if the damage is not reparable. Typically I am against getting 'insurance' on stuff like this, but I've got terrible luck with tires, so I went ahead and did it last time mine were changed.

Oh yeah I had that on my old car and it saved me hundreds of dollars. I'm also getting the insurance on these new ones because our roads are so bad. I rarely ever buy extra warranties or insurance but this is the one instance I do. I find it to be worth it for sure.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

I feel your pain, well sort of.

I put off getting the new tires till the spring and just put my winters on early. But I ran over some piece of metal and it blew a big hole that couldn't be repaired. Absolutely sucks!

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I liked visiting Switz. My sister lived there for two years. Sounds like you've built up one hell of a distain, Bonk.

Oh yeah I had that on my old car and it saved me hundreds of dollars. I'm also getting the insurance on these new ones because our roads are so bad. I rarely ever buy extra warranties or insurance but this is the one instance I do. I find it to be worth it for sure.

I'm nursing my worn tires for another month before switching to my winters.. then it's new tire purchase time over winter. At least you didn't have to buy truck tires, prices skyrocket for those vs a sedan/wagon. Having to buy all 4 new because of AWD sucks though.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I got a set of Toyo's last year that hurt the pocketbook for a looooooong time. But if there's one thing I've learned over time, it's that you don't cheap out on anything that separates you from the ground – tires, beds, couches, shoes.

How do they look and perform on the Pinto? :laugh:

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I got a set of Toyo's last year that hurt the pocketbook for a looooooong time. But if there's one thing I've learned over time, it's that you don't cheap out on anything that separates you from the ground – tires, beds, couches, shoes.

Oh agreed... my last set were great just hate that I'll need a new set now. But it's worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad