OT: Sens Lounge LXXXXI - Lying is bad, mmkay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
City hall is like 100 bucks for the marriage license. Then whatever for the justice of the peace?

Church is about 600 in donations (organist gets 100, singer gets 100, about 20 bucks a piece for a pair of altar servers, 200 for the priest and the rest to the church).

Though you do have to spend a weekend doing anything marriage prep course too.

And why not do a potluck after? Probably less stressful overall :D

Ahhh... a marriage prep course and church wedding :S . I'm already in enough trouble living in sin from my father the pastor. Do I want to have more disappointment in my life?

But I'm all for the least stress... perhaps I should wait for a ring first (or just plan something and invite him).

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Ahhh... a marriage prep course and church wedding :S . I'm already in enough trouble living in sin from my father the pastor. Do I want to have more disappointment in my life?

But I'm all for the least stress... perhaps I should wait for a ring first (or just plan something and invite him).

Haha. Yeah I suppose making sure he shows up is important.

On the bright side, less guilt and back in the good books once you're an honest woman!

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
What an up and down week!

I got accepted into the Nursing program AND I finally saw my Ottawa Senators finally win live. After so long it was great.

Today I got dumped :laugh: long distance wasn't working out, and her being 18 didn't help ! It was a very smooth breakup, though, so at least not a lot of drama (kinda saw it coming and was preparing).

Still pretty sad, though. Oh well, Go Sens Go!

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
What an up and down week!

I got accepted into the Nursing program AND I finally saw my Ottawa Senators finally win live. After so long it was great.

Today I got dumped :laugh: long distance wasn't working out, and her being 18 didn't help ! It was a very smooth breakup, though, so at least not a lot of drama (kinda saw it coming and was preparing).

Still pretty sad, though. Oh well, Go Sens Go!

Humblebrag is humble.
Cradle robber :P

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Amazing interview with 2 amazingly important people of our generation. Wonder what this will look like in 50 or 100 years. If you know of anyone else who speaks with truth, knowledge and clarity like Dr. McDougall please let me know. Thanks
edit: no health wars please. I'm seriously not interested in getting into any arguments. It's just a video I thought was worthy of sharing.

You're just desperate to push your silly agenda aren't you? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I don't think it's a bad game, I just hate the trend of delivering an unfinished game at launch, with the aim of finishing it after a few patches.

Just take a look at the list of features they are promising to deliver in the next few patches once they get around to it. Like sure, I believe that they will do it, but the trend allows other developers to do the same, developers that I don't trust to not go: "Oh nevermind, you already have given us money for the game. Those features we promised to patch in? They are now coming in a DLC you'll have to pay for."

Except civ 6 is a complete game. Additional features that come later are a bonus that are still being developed, they always release tonnes of content for civ games over the next several years after launch.

This isn't like an EA title where they give you a quarter of the maps on release, and just hold onto others to release periodically.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Cheap weddings all the way.

Where in New Zealand are you going?

I'm hoping to travel a bit. But the bfs best friend is getting married in Auckland. So probably around there. It's still like a year away. So I've got time to plan and save!

And yeah, I'm happy with cheap. It's the way to be! No need to go into debt for a wedding.

To Caeldan: it will be nice to be an honest woman in my parents eyes again.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
My idea for a wedding has always been rent a lake cottage for a week and people can come and go as they please and hangout. Maybe have a ten minute "ceremony" and whatnot on a Saturday. Very very low key. Bring stuff to grill and alcohol. Maybe have the place hold 20 people or so.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
My idea for a wedding has always been rent a lake cottage for a week and people can come and go as they please and hangout. Maybe have a ten minute "ceremony" and whatnot on a Saturday. Very very low key. Bring stuff to grill and alcohol. Maybe have the place hold 20 people or so.

That sounds like the greatest idea of all time. Who needs the pomp? The circumstance? Give me good friends and a lowkey gathering and I'm good.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Re: Weddings; Not married, probably never will but to me the best thing for a wedding is to go small. Get married by a justice of the peace and have a house party after the wedding with your close family and friends.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Who needs the pomp? The circumstance? Give me good friends and a lowkey gathering and I'm good.

That's exactly how my wife and I felt about it, too. Just get friends and family together, and the rest will take care of itself.

My wife and I got married on a farm, Stanley's Old Maple farm, way before it was a popular wedding spot. When I got hitched to Mrs BonkTastic, I think we were like the 5th wedding there ever. Earl (the guy who runs it) charged us like $500 for the whole thing, and didn't even charge us a corking fee when we brought our own booze. It was as bare-bones as it gets - about 70 people total (including all the +1s) plastic lawn chairs, big open field, and a barn with drywall on the inside for the reception/meal.

Now apparently it's like one of the premiere wedding spots in the city? Someone told me the other day that Earl quoted them something ridiculous like $20k for an afternoon wedding. Crazy! Glad we got in on the ground floor on that one.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Yeah. Sometimes, as much as people say 'it's your day', there's family considerations that have to take precedence and grow the costs.
At least if you don't want a lifetime of guilt trips.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

I looked into something like that. But not that many cottages are that big. I like the idea of a 20 person wedding in a cottage. But I think my family would kill me if it was just 20 people. Lol. That would just be my family and his family and no friends.

It's really a shame you gotta think about family and friends too. Because something low key is ideal. At the end of the day I'm just really damn cheap and the thought spending 20k+ makes me cringe.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I looked into something like that. But not that many cottages are that big. I like the idea of a 20 person wedding in a cottage. But I think my family would kill me if it was just 20 people. Lol. That would just be my family and his family and no friends.

It's really a shame you gotta think about family and friends too. Because something low key is ideal. At the end of the day I'm just really damn cheap and the thought spending 20k+ makes me cringe.

20k is a lot of money to please people for 1 day.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

I guess it's the opposite for me it would be all friends and no family minus parents and her sister, haha.

I'm very laid back so if it ever happens I'm good with what she wants. I think she has the same thought process as me though.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Weddings have turned into status symbols. It's all a racket. Just get the papers signed, have a little party, and that's it. No need for the rest of the fluff.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I guess it's the opposite for me it would be all friends and no family minus parents and her sister, haha.

I'm very laid back so if it ever happens I'm good with what she wants. I think she has the same thought process as me though.

If I could choose it would be my parents and brothers then his parents and sister (but that's 15 people already). I love my family so my immediate family would have to be involved. And I'd want at least 10 of my close friends.

So even going super small it would still be 40~ people. It sadly adds up!

But like Nac Mac Feegle says, the money ain't worth it. And I don't like how commercialized things have gotten. It's about celebrating with friends and family. You don't need anything fancy to do that.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Not really sure of the appropriate place to ask this but: what happened with the 6th sens blog? It used to be a pretty good source but now it's some unprofessional looking Sports Daily sub blog? Is it even the same guy running it? Anyone know what happened?

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Weddings have turned into status symbols. It's all a racket. Just get the papers signed, have a little party, and that's it. No need for the rest of the fluff.

Depends on culture too. I think not having a big Macedonian wedding or Yugoslavia type wedding and your family would disown you. But also I think the parents and family pay for all of it.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Not really sure of the appropriate place to ask this but: what happened with the 6th sens blog? It used to be a pretty good source but now it's some unprofessional looking Sports Daily sub blog? Is it even the same guy running it? Anyone know what happened?

Good question. I think Graeme is still writing the occasional article, but it looks like the majority has been taken over by TDS Staff. Damn shame. Always appreciated Nichols' takes. I know he was doing some advanced stats work with CBC a few years back but haven't heard anything since.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Eh, whatever the gf wants I'll do, doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but I know it does for her.

I'm standing in 2 the next few months and have to spend a bit of money on suits, pretty rattled :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad