OT: Sens Lounge LXXXXI - Lying is bad, mmkay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Continue here.

And for what it's worth, I occasionally skim over resumes at my job. It's a bit baffling to see how many people obviously lie on their resumes and where it all falls apart when you pull on a single thread. So if you're absolutely going to lie on yours, at least put in the effort to make it believable and realistic-looking. Not that it won't still come crashing down if someone looks into it.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
giphy.gif

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
I know a lot of people in the trades who are honest/do honest work however their bosses and such are some of the scummiest people out there.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Continue here.

And for what it's worth, I occasionally skim over resumes at my job. It's a bit baffling to see how many people obviously lie on their resumes and where it all falls apart when you pull on a single thread. So if you're absolutely going to lie on yours, at least put in the effort to make it believable and realistic-looking. Not that it won't still come crashing down if someone looks into it.

From my experience, the main value in a company doing reference checks is to find out whether a job on a candidates resume was real or not.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I would never lie on a resume.

They had a news segment the other day in which people were using fake references and such. There is just no way I'd do that!

I've luckily never had issues with finding work so I've never gotten to the point that I've had any desire to lie. (Although I haven't had an interview or anything in 10 years).

Although I did get my mom to help me with my cover letters. She's a great writer!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, lying may get you ahead in life, but it's at a cost. One day you might slip, or an old lie comes back to get you, or something happens, and everything you've worked for goes up in flames. It's just not worth it.

Of course, I'd kill for a $25/hr job, or a lot of other things I've missed out on for being honest.....but you've got to follow your heart and do what you know is right.

At the end of the day, you have to live with yourself. There's no way to escape your own deeds.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Speaking of trades.
I have a dispute with an electrician on a bill.... His version is nearly double what we agreed on.
And it's basically impossible to get him to follow up... So no idea what to do there.
Been over a year since the work was done. He sent me an invoice in May and I've sent him several emails following to which I get a single reply of I'll look into it and then nothing for a month or so

Nothing wrong with the work done, just can't believe how uninterested he seems in getting his money. But it's a pain because it ties up money on my side.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Speaking of trades.
I have a dispute with an electrician on a bill.... His version is nearly double what we agreed on.
And it's basically impossible to get him to follow up... So no idea what to do there.
Been over a year since the work was done. He sent me an invoice in May and I've sent him several emails following to which I get a single reply of I'll look into it and then nothing for a month or so

Nothing wrong with the work done, just can't believe how uninterested he seems in getting his money. But it's a pain because it ties up money on my side.

Lesson: Always get quotes it in writing before they even open their toolbox.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

I have a signed quote in my email.
As well as the only discussion regarding additional work that was approved.
The invoice sent stated that due to significant change of scope, entire job is now time and materials.
It was an insurance job but I was dealing with him directly because I needed some upgrades (like going from breakers to fuses) that weren't going to be covered by insurance.
So I told him if there was work he was doing for the restoration company that I hadn't authorized, he needs to invoice them not me.

So basically, we're somewhere in the neighbourhood of $3000 apart in terms of invoices.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
It was my birthday the other day... I had not spoken to my ex for almost two years now...

She commented on the birthday dinner picture from 2013 on fb "In hindsight I should have poisoned it"

That was the first contact since the breakup lol

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
It was my birthday the other day... I had not spoken to my ex for almost two years now...

She commented on the birthday dinner picture from 2013 on fb "In hindsight I should have poisoned it"

Classic. 2 years on and still holding onto a grudge.

You sir dodged a bullet.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

That problem with starting your car, it's possible the starter isn't engaging properly and may need to be shimmed closer or further from the flywheel.I'd check a manual it's usually not hard if your car savy.

If your really savy you could also when you take it out, give it power off your battery to see if it is the noise.

I'll tell you guys I'm unemployed because my last boss was ripping people off.I had to quit. It was private and not willing to out them publicly beyond this.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

Wow! Bitter much?

Girls sure can hold grudges!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Well at least you left a lasting impression

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I just liked the post and nothing more, brother thought it was hilarious

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Classic. 2 years on and still holding onto a grudge.

You sir dodged a bullet.

Of course, the guy writing this is also the one recommending a life of lies as the way to get ahead, so, who knows who dodged what ;)

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Any interviewer with even a bit of experience can suss out lies without much difficulty. Sure, some entry level position-fillers will accept a degree of exaggeration if the person is encouraging in all other areas. But a professional position?...not a chance, that's usually the last contact they have. Seriously, it's easy to detect, don't do it.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Of course, the guy writing this is also the one recommending a life of lies as the way to get ahead, so, who knows who dodged what ;)

You got to be able to back it up... But I mean if you become the best worker, whose going to question your past? When I lied to get ahead I have no doubt I was the companies best worker and I parlayed that expirence into a better job.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Server started flirting with me at coffee culture and started talking about cooking as I had a cook book in hand she says "whoever is sleeping with you is pretty lucky" ... The disappointment of being engaged some days lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->