OT: Sens Lounge LXXXXI - Curling in the squat rack? HURRY HARD

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I always laughed at a friend of mine who said there was nothing to do in the small city we grew up in.

His heart was always in Montreal. After visiting him a few times, it was clear that "nothing to do" was directly correlated to 'new' places to pay for overpriced drinks and get ****faced every weekend.

Clubbing never was my bag obviously.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
In this day and age, there's always something going on somewhere for someone and if you take the time to look you'll find it.

I lose my **** when people say there is nothing to do in Ottawa/Gatineau.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
You sound like you need a new hobby.

I mean that in a good way though. Ever looked into meet-ups? They are a great way to meet people for set activities and can lead to some very positive interactions.

It's something I've considered, so you may very well be right.

I might start getting back into team sports. Meet-ups I don't know much about though. Any ideas?

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I always laughed at a friend of mine who said there was nothing to do in the small city we grew up in.

His heart was always in Montreal. After visiting him a few times, it was clear that "nothing to do" was directly correlated to 'new' places to pay for overpriced drinks and get ****faced every weekend.

Clubbing never was my bag obviously.

Well, honestly there are also plenty of reasonably-priced bars if you know where to go, and there's definitely a lot more music to be seen and heard in Montreal than in many other cities, but it's accurate to say that almost every activity revolves around drinking here. Certainly not just on the weekends either.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Why did they delete your account? I didn't know they could even do that....

I think it was because I didn't log in in a long time? But that had happened before and I'd always been able to recover it. Then one time it was just gone gone. I had moved over to gmail by this time but there were some formative years of my life all locked up in there, plus addresses of people I'd met travelling and such.

I think it's safe to assume you're getting old when you find everyone in bars/taverns/restaurants/streets/etc. annoying as hell. Ugh.

Then I was old when I was young and have recently become young again. in recent years I've started getting less annoyed by people at bars, or in general. Just more of a live and let live thing, somehow feel like it's from becoming more OK with myself in general/less worried about what other people think so I worry less about thinking things about other people as well. But at the same time I think what you're talking about is something a little different. Not living in North America I'm sheltered to an extent from the onset of the increasingly self-centred hordes, so it may be I'd feel differently living there. It is true that the neighbourhood I live in is gradually becoming more and more visited by tourists and trend-seekers, but here the process is gradual enough and I'm ensconced enough that it's still tolerable and ignorable.

but it's accurate to say that almost every activity revolves around drinking here. Certainly not just on the weekends either.

Definitely true here too. Hell, here even the hardcore nerds who spend all night playing video games are doing it with a case of beer at their side. The team sports you mentioned? As a rule also followed by many beers. But it's a nice change to do it with a larger, more varied group.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Can't wait til my girlfriend is old enough to drink :laugh:

Are you moving within Victoria?

lol, yup still in Vic, we wanted a single family home with a garage, so off we go! Due to lack of availability for that combo we have had to settle for a nice upgrade.... ;)

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Hey, you know when a car starts, and it sounds like someone is shaking a kitchen pot full of marbles, but then it goes away as soon as the engine turns?

What is that?

Either starter or flywheel would be what I would check first.. Sounds like starter problem though. If it was the actual engine it should be constant when engine running.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hey, you know when a car starts, and it sounds like someone is shaking a kitchen pot full of marbles, but then it goes away as soon as the engine turns?

What is that?

I am no mechanic but it does not sound like a starter issue to me. My experience with starters is they are engaged initially to start the vehicle. If they don't work they just click when you turn the key. It sounds like a fuel air mixture thing to me where it is sucking for one or the other. It could be a sensor / injector issue. It sounds like it it missing, not firing when it should ... so could also be a timing issue.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I also still like going out to certain specific bars where the type of people I enjoy hanging around are, but those places are getting few and far apart. I find that I can't handle loud and brash people at all anymore, and they are obviously around a lot at drinking establishments. Some of the places I really enjoyed going to are now filled with young students who don't know how to drink and act in public and I get stressed out instead of enjoying myself. Not worth it. Of course it doesn't help that the main activity in Montreal is going out to drink so if I don't want to stay home it's usually the only option.

Like I said, a change of scenery is probably needed soon, but I also feel like people in general have become much more superficial, self-centered and disrespectful. Might be because we are in the age of social media, might just be because I'm old and grumpy.

Alright, rant over!
For good bars and clubs, the choice of music definitely has an influence. I haven't set foot at Zaphod's in Ottawa for a decade now, but it always had a good atmosphere, because people went there for the music, not to pick up chicks. Never saw anyone fight or get too drunk. I'm sure Montreal is full of places like that.

As for the bolded, I'm with you, but then again maybe it's because I'm old and grumpy too.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
In this day and age, there's always something going on somewhere for someone and if you take the time to look you'll find it.

I lose my **** when people say there is nothing to do in Ottawa/Gatineau.

I don't live in the Ottawa area but one of my pet peeves is when people go on Facebook and post that they're bored. I have a mind to tell them to read a book or go for a walk

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
I don't live in the Ottawa area but one of my pet peeves is when people go on Facebook and post that they're bored. I have a mind to tell them to read a book or go for a walk

Especially at night. Even walks through the woods are my favorite

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It depends on the person really. I lived in ottawa and toronto most of my life and the diverse culture and wide range of activities in toronto has always attracted me. It sucks cause my closest friends are in ottawa but i always enjoyed chilling in downtown toronto. There is something about going out on a tuesday night in downtown toronto when the whole downtown core is still lit.

Im also a huge sports fan in general so seeing they jays and raps (outside of the sens obviously) is always great and when those teams make the playoffs....oh man the downtown atmosphere is amazing.

I think though with the sens moving downtown it will capture a bit of that magic

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Lately I have learned how willing people are to tell significant lies get ahead, and sadly how it can get them ahead. I mean everyone including me has and will tell little lies from time to time, but it seems as if some people have no sense of ethics.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Lately I have learned how willing people are to tell significant lies get ahead, and sadly how it can get them ahead. I mean everyone including me has and will tell little lies from time to time, but it seems as if some people have no sense of ethics.

Yeah, it's a harsh life lesson to learn.

The real advanced-studies course in this is learning how to identify those types of people from the general population so you don't do something stupid like hire them, or let them sell you anything.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, it's a harsh life lesson to learn.

The real advanced-studies course in this is learning how to identify those types of people from the general population so you don't do something stupid like hire them, or let them sell you anything.

Funny you mention hiring, one of the lies I mentioned is about that. I have put in notice at my job because I am unhappy there, and have started talking to recruitment agencies about office work. I was complaining to the liars about how it is difficult to break into an industry if you don't have experience and they told me to make up a job and put it on my resume. When I said I wouldn't do that they said I would only have to lie once because the next time I was looking for a job I could put the real job on. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Funny you mention hiring, one of the lies I mentioned is about that. I have put in notice at my job because I am unhappy there, and have started talking to recruitment agencies about office work. I was complaining about how it is difficult to break into an industry if you don't have experience and they told me to make up a job and put it on my resume. When I said I wouldn't do that they said I would only have to lie once because the next time I was looking for a job I could put the real job on. :facepalm:

I sure as hell would not use a recruitment agency like that. And I doubt most successful employers would, either. Sounds like all they care about, is stuffing you into any job so they can get their commission. I'd be willing to bet the employers that use them are all workplace ****holes.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I sure as hell would not use a recruitment agency like that. And I doubt most successful employers would, either. Sounds like all they care about, is stuffing you into any job so they can get their commission. I'd be willing to bet the employers that use them are all workplace ****holes.

Sorry I worded it poorly. The recruitment agency didn't say to do that, the liars did.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Funny you mention hiring, one of the lies I mentioned is about that. I have put in notice at my job because I am unhappy there, and have started talking to recruitment agencies about office work. I was complaining to the liars about how it is difficult to break into an industry if you don't have experience and they told me to make up a job and put it on my resume. When I said I wouldn't do that they said I would only have to lie once because the next time I was looking for a job I could put the real job on. :facepalm:

I lied on my resume to get ahead in the past... It worked and I have no regrets.

My brother had a kid when he was 16 and did not graduate from high school... He got a counterfeit high school diploma from China, looked legit... Was able to join a factory and get them to pay for welding school... The Kids 21 and makes 25$ an hour

if a lie gets you ahead then lie

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I have personally fired probably half a dozen employees in the past for lying on their resume. They're out of the building within 15 minutes of me finding out. You get enough time to gather your things in a box and then you are trespassed.
(note: they are not trespassed out of spite, but because some people hold very real vendettas and grudges against other people/ companies when they are fired, and a trespass warning covers you if you need to pre-emtively call the police if they come to their ex-workplace planning on trashing the place (or worse) or cause a problem at a later date. It's entirely a safety/security thing).

You had also better hope you never mention my name on a C/V if you get caught doing this, and though that seems like common ****ing sense, you'd be surprised how dumb some people are. I had one dumbass ex-employee who did that once, the conversation went pretty much like this:

Random HR Guy: "Hello, this is (name) from (company). We have an applicant whose CV looks very good on paper, and we'd like to ask you a few questions about (liar)"
Me: "Oh, (liar)? Yeah, he was let go for lying on his resume."
Random HR Guy: "I'm going to stop you right there, that's all we need to know. Thanks for your time."

... I assume they did not get that job.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Ya references I always put friends to give me a glowing reference... Nobody is going to fact check the references lol

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ya references I always put friends to give me a glowing reference... Nobody is going to fact check the references lol

At McDonalds, maybe.

I used to call the most recent 3 places of employment (within a reasonable time period: 3-5 years or so) for anyone who made my short list for a position I was hiring. I don't care if you put the contact info on your resume or not, if you list it as a former workplace, I'm calling. It's not like finding phone numbers for businesses is hard.

If you said you were at (place of employment) for 2 years prior to applying to my job? I'm flat out calling the business and asking around. If they haven't heard of you, I'm only out 2 minutes of my time and that C/V goes into the trash.

Of course, I was known for having excellent staff at pretty much every single workplace I managed at, so I'm sure there are much lazier managers than I was, who would have just let crap fall through the crack and not do their due diligence, who would inevitably hire all of the other potential employees I wouldn't touch with a 10-ft pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad