Pre-Game Talk: SENS in PENS, tues 7:00 pm on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Phaneuf & Thompson for Gaborik & Shore. I don't see the point of this at all unless they save some money, but how much? Maybe Gaborik will help Ottawa score more goals but what exactly is the point of Shore? Maybe PD can turn this around & trade Gaborik & Shore to someone else. Not getting any younger with this deal.

Swapping Phaneuf for Gaborik saves us about 3 mil (I originally thought it would be around 4, but it's just over 3) over the next three seasons plus we unload 1.65 worth of Thompson next year.

Not sure what we do with Shore, he's RFA.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Gaborik is like, three years older than Phaneuf.

Shore is 25 I think. Nevertheless I am glad to see Phaneuf and Thompson gone. One old guy Gaborok coming in and perhaps he will add something to the offence. This is not making the Sens better but according to TSN it will save the Sens about $4M over the next 3 years. Change was needed. More is required.

Reactions: Sensinitis

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Swapping Phaneuf for Gaborik saves us about 3 mil (I originally thought it would be around 4, but it's just over 3) over the next three seasons plus we unload 1.65 worth of Thompson next year.

Not sure what we do with Shore, he's RFA.

His stats so far indicate that he is borderline NHL if not AHL. They will probably sign him to 4th Line money or drop him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Gaborik is owed 10.825 for 3 years after this year
Phaneuf retained 4.625 for 3 years after this year

15.45 owing after this year

Phaneuf only 18.5 after this year (as is)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
When you add the retained dollars to Gaborik, we're essentially paying Gaborik an average of 5.15 mil a year in real dollars to play for us. When you adjust that for the fact that he'll miss half the season, that's like 10 mil for gaborik....

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Can Gaborik still play PP? It couldnt get much worse (which may not be such a bad thing, fallin for dahlen)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
When you add the retained dollars to Gaborik, we're essentially paying Gaborik an average of 5.15 mil a year in real dollars to play for us. When you adjust that for the fact that he'll miss half the season, that's like 10 mil for gaborik....
Yeah it’s not some stroke of genius that’s for sure. We’re paying gaborik what we have paid phaneuf. But are we saving cap room?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah it’s not some stroke of genius that’s for sure. We’re paying gaborik what we have paid phaneuf. But are we saving cap room?
we retain 25% of 7 million on Phaneuf
+ Gaboriks Cap hit
- Thompsons Cap hit next year only (what happens with Shore remains to be seen)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I kind of thought the idea was to return picks & prospects not return more over-the-hill players & border-line NHL/AHL players. That's a bit of a surprise although Melnyk may have saved a little cash.

I wonder what PD will get for Oduya? Is Jagr still around?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hopefully a few more old guys are shipped out by the trade deadline. This team needs to be re-shaped with more speed, size and skill. This is just the beginning of the beginning.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I kind of thought the idea was to return picks & prospects not return more over-the-hill players & border-line NHL/AHL players. That's a bit of a surprise although Melnyk may have saved a little cash.

I wonder what PD will get for Oduya? Is Jagr still around?

A late round pic is all I expect. Is Jagr a new brand of beer?

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
? How. Phaneuf and Thompson combined is 8.9 in cap room.

How much cap room are we bring back. Gaborik and shore aren’t taking up 8.5 ish
Sorry, that's just the diff between Dion and Gaborik per year. Dion has a hit of 7, we're retaining 1.75 of it. Gaborik's hit is 4.875, so that totals to 6.625, which is 375k less than Phaneuf's hit.

Since we don't know what Shore will sign for next year, I didn't include him.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That is what I thought.
There are a few key limitations:
  • ‘Salary’ refers to remaining base player salary and bonuses, including signing bonuses.
  • The percentage retained cannot be more than 50 percent of the salary and cap hit.
  • The same percentage must be retained for both salary and cap hit. This cannot be altered from year to year.
  • Teams are limited to three retained salary contracts each season.
  • Teams cannot retain more than an aggregate amount of 15 percent of the salary cap upper limit. In 2014-15 that number is $10.35 million.
  • A player’s contract can only be traded twice in a retained salary transaction.
so you retain 25% of the real salary and bonuses (real dollars) and you retain 25% of the cap hit whatever that might be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->