Pre-Game Talk: SENS in Nashville, 8:00pm on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Best thing I can say about the Sens recently is they don't seem like a Boucher-coached team. So while we don't win every game, we are actually having fun instead of feeling like it's a chore to watch them play trap-style hockey.

Is this due to Boucher realizing he needs to adjust, or are the players just ignoring him? It would be interesting to find out.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I don't get why ppl can't see that as good as he is offensively, defensively he is just as bad on many nights. I love karlsson, but I would move him for the right parts.

People fully understand what we have in Karlsson but are smart enough to realize his overall play makes up for his mistakes. This season is obviously an outlier and it's obvious he needs a full off-season to get back to as close to normal as possible. Trading him now would be the greatest mistake Dorion would ever make.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
People fully understand what we have in Karlsson but are smart enough to realize his overall play makes up for his mistakes. This season is obviously an outlier and it's obvious he needs a full off-season to get back to as close to normal as possible. Trading him now would be the greatest mistake Dorion would ever make.
Well bud not everyone is on boat to paying him 12 m a season and see him play the way he is. Sorry but smart ppl also see there are opportunities to trade him and fill multiple holes in the lineup.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Well bud not everyone is on boat to paying him 12 m a season and see him play the way he is. Sorry but smart ppl also see there are opportunities to trade him and fill multiple holes in the lineup.

Smart people can see the big picture, and don't get hung up on what is a lost season for EK. You seem to be convinced this is the norm and not the exception. We even stand to profit from him still recovering given his bad season considering he'd probably get even more on his next contract if he was having another season like he's had the previous two before.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016

I feel like that never happens really in this league and it's a pipe dream to especially think Dorion would be able to pull it off.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
You know, as much criticism as he's gotten for his defense this season, and rightfully so, it's pretty much been his worst offensive season of his career if you subtract those first 11 games.

I've said it a million times. The chances are good that with a summer of training he returns to January '15 to June '17 Karlsson. And if that does happen, you are losing the trade, no matter what.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Hopefully management is smart enough to realize the fans in Ottawa love the guy, and that we stand to gain much more by keeping him. Trading him would hurt both at the box office and in the standings.

It would be the Joe Thornton trade all over again. Even if the best GM in the league were running the Sens it would be incredibly difficult and hard to pull off coming out on the winning end of a deal involving Karlsson being traded.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Hopefully management is smart enough to realize the fans in Ottawa love the guy, and that we stand to gain much more by keeping him. Trading him would hurt both at the box office and in the standings.
We have won without him before and we will win again. When is a team just one player? Sorry but I don't agree with that logic. Management wouldn't be considering trading him and listening to offers whether good offers or not if they didn't at least see that he is expendable.

Reactions: coladin

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
We have won without him before and we will win again. When is a team just one player? Sorry but I don't agree with that logic. Management wouldn't be considering trading him and listening to offers whether good offers or not if they didn't at least see that he is expendable.

It's not debatable whether losing Karlsson would hurt this team. He's our superstar top-5 elite player, and we're incredibly lucky to have him. Management is also not considering trading him unless you think Kypreos is some sort of reliable insider. Dorion only said every player in the league can hypothetically be traded but he's not actively shopping him. The one and only way he's gone is if he tells management this summer that he's not coming back at all and they have no other choice.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
It's not debatable whether losing Karlsson would hurt this team. He's our superstar top-5 elite player, and we're incredibly lucky to have him. Management is also not considering trading him unless you think Kypreos is some sort of reliable insider. Dorion only said every player in the league can hypothetically be traded but he's not actively shopping him. The one and only way he's gone is if he tells management this summer that he's not coming back at all and they have no other choice.
If you watch the news you know that rumours and talk were ongoing before Kypreos even opened his mouth. Nobody is denying his talent. I'm debating the cost benefit of keeping him around based on his price tag and play. I think we can be better without him and fill multiple holes with his cap hit. I'd rather try and upgrade our d core and goaltending and bottom six.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
If you watch the news you know that rumours and talk were ongoing before Kypreos even opened his mouth. Nobody is denying his talent. I'm debating the cost benefit of keeping him around based on his price tag and play. I think we can be better without him and fill multiple holes with his cap hit. I'd rather try and upgrade our d core and goaltending and bottom six.

We can fill other holes without creating a frikkin' giant crater on the first pairing. You're basically saying that no team could possibly win with a 10-12million dollar player which is just wrong. It's our bad contracts we need to get rid of if we want to fill holes and stay competitive while retaining EK.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
We can fill other holes without creating a frikkin' giant crater on the first pairing. You're basically saying that no team could possibly win with a 10-12million dollar player which is just wrong. It's our bad contracts we need to get rid of if we want to fill holes and stay competitive while retaining EK.
You are acting like we have no other Dmen in our organization. No point arguing with you. We can agree to disagree.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
You are acting like we have no other Dmen in our organization. No point arguing with you. We can agree to disagree.

We have no other first pairing defenseman outside of Chabot. Unless we win the lottery and draft Dahlin, losing EK with the d-core we have right now and in the pipeline would be disastrous.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

But.... We don't.

Chabot and Ceci are pretty much all we have after that. Ceci is a #4 and Chabot is a rookie that has played 40 NHL games. What the hell are you talking about?

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
Not that I completely disagree with you, but what holes do you expect to fill?...and with who potentially? This is honestly a tough situation all around and I personally think keeping Karlsson is the best option currently. I mean even if you think best case scenario for a trade of say a Tavares or Draisaitl plus a pick or prospect..while that immediately shores up our forward core down the middle..where does that leave our defense? Ceci becomes our top defensman at that point and that's just hilarious especially considering we'd still have Condon and a 37 year old Anderson next year...we'd be abysmal at best trying to defend anything. And if you go the other way and get a top notch defensemen for Erik..ala Subban or someone along those lines...then why even do the trade?
The only way I see trading Karlsson making any sense is if they could somehow manage to get a top 2 defenseman back along with a top 4 forward and a solid pick...which is what they'd need to even think about contending next year...but that type of trade just isn't going to happen.

Reactions: Karl Prime

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

We are incredibly lucky to have him as you state, but no one will pay to see him. They are better off trading him and keep the savings and rebuild. If the building was full then there would be no way to trade him. There is no attendance pressure to keep him.

Spending 10+ a year on him with 14k people in the stands makes no business sense.

Hope he stays but there is no financial incentive to do so. Attendance will be even worse next year. Fans are abandoning the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->