Pre-Game Talk: SENS in Edmonton, Saturday Night 10-00 pm on CBC

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not sure I'd its all a team mentality or if our best offensive forwards are in better form than they were for almost all of last season. Ryan and Brassard are in their playoff form from last may and Stone seems to be recovered from whatever ailed him late last year. Makes a huge difference for the offense as a whole to have these guys playing to their potential.

All last year we went into a prevent defense by the start of the third, sometimes even when the game was tied. I know it's only 5 games, but it seems to me we are still taking chances offensively throughout the game, which to me is a welcome change.

The things I've noticed that are different than last year:

- D is activating on the rush a lot more. How many times have we seen Boro of all people create scoring chances by jumping in? (6g, 13 pts from the D already)
- No more letting off the gas (or at least not nearly to the same extent) in the third. We used to play for the shootout, and while we've been in a lot of shootouts, we seem like we're playing to win instead of not to lose.
- PP, for all the complaints early on, has been much better at entering the zone and establishing control. They did start off cold overpassing around the perimeter, but have been getting those quick passes through the box lately.
- 4th line is no longer a freaking liability. Nice change for sure.
- Nobody has been ice cold (Ryan, Brass, Turris, Hoffman, Stone all putting up pts)

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Yes, the matchup of McDavid was at the face off in the Oilers Dzone. I just watched it again on my vcr.

Two Edmonton forwards brought the puck into the Senators Dzone. In fairness to Boro, after missing McD he saw the second forward (Yamamoto) who just passed the puck to McDavid skate into the Dzone and tried to skate with him into the Dzone as Ceci was coming across the ice trying to get to that forward too. McD passed the puck to Larson who was open at the inside the blue line.

Not a shot, but I'm amazed that you're still using a vcr.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Man that Turris play was incredible, as soon as he kind of put his head down coming through the neutral zone with the puck I was out of my seat as you could see what he was going for. Laughing at myself as I thought he looked a little uninterested in the first few games but some guys take a bit of time to get going, Pageau is another guy like this but I know by the end of 82 these guys will have left their mark on the season.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Seems everyone on the roster has a lot more confidence so far this season. That makes for a huge difference. Instead of backing off and always playing safe to run out the clock and 'escape' with a win, they are confident to attack and continue to make plays.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Seems everyone on the roster has a lot more confidence so far this season. That makes for a huge difference. Instead of backing off and always playing safe to run out the clock and 'escape' with a win, they are confident to attack and continue to make plays.

On After Hours, Ryan was talking about "the system" and the comfort level they have with it starting the season as opposed to last year.

It's also the reason why you might not see a lot of icetime for guys like Brown and Formenton.

If it took veteran NHLers half-a-season in some cases to really get used to it, you can't expect an 18-19 year old rookie to just walk in and get it right away.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
On After Hours, Ryan was talking about "the system" and the comfort level they have with it starting the season as opposed to last year.

It's also the reason why you might not see a lot of icetime for guys like Brown and Formenton.

If it took veteran NHLers half-a-season in some cases to really get used to it, you can't expect an 18-19 year old rookie to just walk in and get it right away.

I agree with some of what you're saying. But it's alot easier to walk into an established system where the core group of guys have been playing it VS walking into a system that is new to everyone.

It is a demanding system thoughz but also forgiving as even if one guy gets beat there is usually another 4 supporting.

Hats off to Boucher though. He is one of the best coaches in the league. Which makes it hard to criticise some of his more questionable decisions.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Larsson took a slap shot that found the net, I don't see how it was anyone's fault, it happens in hockey. Why are people always looking to vilify players especially Boro & Ceci? It was a good shot that found an opening, we see dozens of shots like that every game & most don't go in, sometimes they do. Shouldn't they get some credit for all the goals they prevent too?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Larsson took a slap shot that found the net, I don't see how it was anyone's fault, it happens in hockey. Why are people always looking to vilify players especially Boro & Ceci? It was a good shot that found an opening, we see dozens of shots like that every game & most don't go in, sometimes they do. Shouldn't they get some credit for all the goals they prevent too?

What does the Don always say? If you get infront of the shot BLOCK IT

Borowiecki was right. We can't have people unwilling to make the sacrifice. Someone has to hold the guy accountable for chickening out on the shot block.

I'm not being super serious, just having fun.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Lol did you see how much time and space Larsson had to get a shot off? Someone messed their assignment, and it was Boro.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
One thing that's really struck me about our team this year is just how good the passing is. The team's zone entries have been really smooth compared to years past and we've seen some really nice offensive zone passes for highlight reel assists.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This game was a bit of a let down after a solid 6-0 win in Calgary. Boucher has to raise the voice in practice because it is unacceptable to give up a goal :sarcasm:

I guess I deserve to be called out after this stellar start.

Didn't think we'd look this good after the way we played in preseason. I mean, I know training camp means very little, but I never would have expected the system to be this solid, and both the PP and PK to be so effective after what we saw the two weeks prior.

I am pleasantly surprised and eating some crow right now. Doesn't taste all that bad!

haha all good. It's not really calling out, but yeah it's a crow thing I suppose.

I admit I was expecting this team to be just treading water without EK. Didn't expect them to be this good, but like I have been saying for a while, many of our players are underrated.

Look at the forward group.

Mark Stone and Mike Hoffman are more than good. Kyle Turris seems to be lacking things in his game to be a 1C but can't argue with results. Brassard and Ryan are much better than last year's production. All of those 5 guys produced at a 1st liner rate several times in the last few years.

Clarke MacArthur is missing unfortunately but guys like Pageau and Smith are high end 3rd liners. 2 great 200 ft players. Dzingel is not too shabby either, thanks to his blazing speed and skill. This guy with a better shot would be a dangerous top-6 forward.

Pyatt, Burrows and Thompson are also good if they are on your 4th line. Burrows was a top-6 forward most of his career but still has some speed, smarts and skill to bring a lot to the table on your 4th line. Thompson is industrious and Pyatt is a Condra on steroids, just relentless.

What is exciting is that there is Logan Brown, Colin White, Filip Chlapik, Alex Formenton, Drake Batherson, Shane Bowers, Francis Perron, Nick Paul in the prospect pool...

Now let's look at the defense

Erik Karlsson, best D-man in the NHL and one of the most beautiful talents ever in the game of hockey. Don't think I need to say much about him.

Cody Ceci. Analytics won't like this guy but I understand why he is so popular among GMs. Sure he makes mistakes but with the amount of hard TOI he gets, he's bound to make some. Otherwise he is the all package and if he can play offensively like he did so far this season, he is even more valuable.

Dion Phaneuf. The guy has a bad reputation on HF (happens when you were on a bad Leaf team) but this guy is a rock. Solid defensively, brings some offense and intimidates the opposition. Only has 3 years left after this season and is only 32 y/o. Not sure why people were so worried about him. When you take in consideration the money "retained" (dead contracts going the other way) and the assets we gave up, this is one of the best trade ever for this organization, really helped the team to take another step forward.

Oduya isn't in his prime anymore but this guy has a lot of experience and played a major role on Cup winning teams NOT LONG AGO. I think he can replace Methot somewhat this season, if he stays healthy of course.

Claesson is a guy you don't expect to be this good, but yet he does it all. He is growing and not too far from a solid 2-way D-man. Can't wait to see him paired with Karlsson.

Chabot with some NHL experience and stronger will be a Star. Has so much to offer, in all zones.

Wideman is underrated, sure he lacks the ideal size and strenght but if you sheter him on the 3rd pair, he can bring good offense with good enough defensive play. IMO, they should trade him, I think they can get a decent asset for him right now.

I think I know what they mean by Boro is a glue guy, I think this guy brings emotion ON and OFF the ice. The guy must be one of the hardest worker in the NHL, tough as nails, a bit like Neil was. Having a guy like that has its merits, as it gives energy to all the team who wants to go to war with him.

What is even more exciting, is that Christian Jaros, Ben Harpur, Andreas Englund, Maxime Lajoie and Christian Wolanin are in the prospect pool. Chabot and Claesson should be graduating this year.

Finally, goaltending

Andy is just a winner. The guy is not a superstar but he is the definition of a solid goalie. His confidence seems to be growing with every stops he makes. He makes timely saves and brings some emotion to his team

Condon I need to see him all season. He was very solid for a long stretch last year but underwhelming for a while too. If the team plays solid in front of him like they did so far, guy can be a solid back-up and even a 1B starter, justifying the 2.4 that Dorion gave him (didn't like that signing, thought it was too much too soon)

Oh and yeah, pre-season means absolutely nothing. Don't draw any conclusions from it. The only thing you can observe is young guys potential.

Reactions: NyQuil and coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
This game was a bit of a let down after a solid 6-0 win in Calgary. Boucher has to raise the voice in practice because it is unacceptable to give up a goal :sarcasm:

haha all good. It's not really calling out, but yeah it's a crow thing I suppose.

I admit I was expecting this team to be just treading water without EK. Didn't expect them to be this good, but like I have been saying for a while, many of our players are underrated.

Look at the forward group.

Mark Stone and Mike Hoffman are more than good. Kyle Turris seems to be lacking things in his game to be a 1C but can't argue with results. Brassard and Ryan are much better than last year's production. All of those 5 guys produced at a 1st liner rate several times in the last few years.

Clarke MacArthur is missing unfortunately but guys like Pageau and Smith are high end 3rd liners. 2 great 200 ft players. Dzingel is not too shabby either, thanks to his blazing speed and skill. This guy with a better shot would be a dangerous top-6 forward.

Pyatt, Burrows and Thompson are also good if they are on your 4th line. Burrows was a top-6 forward most of his career but still has some speed, smarts and skill to bring a lot to the table on your 4th line. Thompson is industrious and Pyatt is a Condra on steroids, just relentless.

What is exciting is that there is Logan Brown, Colin White, Filip Chlapik, Alex Formenton, Drake Batherson, Shane Bowers, Francis Perron, Nick Paul in the prospect pool...

Now let's look at the defense

Erik Karlsson, best D-man in the NHL and one of the most beautiful talents ever in the game of hockey. Don't think I need to say much about him.

Cody Ceci. Analytics won't like this guy but I understand why he is so popular among GMs. Sure he makes mistakes but with the amount of hard TOI he gets, he's bound to make some. Otherwise he is the all package and if he can play offensively like he did so far this season, he is even more valuable.

Dion Phaneuf. The guy has a bad reputation on HF (happens when you were on a bad Leaf team) but this guy is a rock. Solid defensively, brings some offense and intimidates the opposition. Only has 3 years left after this season and is only 32 y/o. Not sure why people were so worried about him. When you take in consideration the money "retained" (dead contracts going the other way) and the assets we gave up, this is one of the best trade ever for this organization, really helped the team to take another step forward.

Oduya isn't in his prime anymore but this guy has a lot of experience and played a major role on Cup winning teams NOT LONG AGO. I think he can replace Methot somewhat this season, if he stays healthy of course.

Claesson is a guy you don't expect to be this good, but yet he does it all. He is growing and not too far from a solid 2-way D-man. Can't wait to see him paired with Karlsson.

Chabot with some NHL experience and stronger will be a Star. Has so much to offer, in all zones.

Wideman is underrated, sure he lacks the ideal size and strenght but if you sheter him on the 3rd pair, he can bring good offense with good enough defensive play. IMO, they should trade him, I think they can get a decent asset for him right now.

I think I know what they mean by Boro is a glue guy, I think this guy brings emotion ON and OFF the ice. The guy must be one of the hardest worker in the NHL, tough as nails, a bit like Neil was. Having a guy like that has its merits, as it gives energy to all the team who wants to go to war with him.

What is even more exciting, is that Christian Jaros, Ben Harpur, Andreas Englund, Maxime Lajoie and Christian Wolanin are in the prospect pool. Chabot and Claesson should be graduating this year.

Finally, goaltending

Andy is just a winner. The guy is not a superstar but he is the definition of a solid goalie. His confidence seems to be growing with every stops he makes. He makes timely saves and brings some emotion to his team

Condon I need to see him all season. He was very solid for a long stretch last year but underwhelming for a while too. If the team plays solid in front of him like they did so far, guy can be a solid back-up and even a 1B starter, justifying the 2.4 that Dorion gave him (didn't like that signing, thought it was too much too soon)

Oh and yeah, pre-season means absolutely nothing. Don't draw any conclusions from it. The only thing you can observe is young guys potential.

You just pumped me up...thanks!:D

Reactions: Xspyrit

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
With so much emphasis on goalie coaches, goalie camps, video and 1-on-1 time with goalies for so many years, it's unfathomable how there can be such a drought of top players at that position.

At least one of our kids must have the ability to step up and be a #1. Condon has looked good for stretches last year, and the game in Edmonton....but he has a ways to go yet.

As for the positivity/negativity stuff.....this is October. Every year, we see pretenders look like gold, and contenders sleeping at the wheel. While I love this start (especially without Erik), it's way too early to plan the parade route. If the guys can keep up this level of play and pace for the whole season....hot damn! But I'm not quite betting on it....yet.

Every team every yr seems to go through a slump, hopefully the Sens can have a number of pts in the bank before they have theirs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad