Pre-Game Talk: SENS in Edmonton, Saturday Night 10-00 pm on CBC

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
It will be great a few years from now when Montreal is in full implosion mode and Condon has solidified himself as our #1 starter. Not that I want to see Andy go, but when he is ready to retire, I hope Condon is ready so we can laugh at Montreal some more.

I love Condibear and I think he's more than a regular backup but I'm not sure I see true number 1 potential in him.

Geez, it would be nice to have a solid succession plan.

I still get PTSD from thinking about our goaltending woes in the past.

Yeah no kidding. There were some dark times in our goalie graveyard between ~2007 and 2012. It's this team biggest concern going forward. How much does Andy have left in the tank and who's going to follow after he retires. I don't think it's an imminent problem but it's not too far into the future. My best guess is we're going to sign or trade for a 1B to split the games with Condon. Hogberg is in there too but he's not close to being ready yet.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Geez, it would be nice to have a solid succession plan.

I still get PTSD from thinking about our goaltending woes in the past.
The team did seem to have a solid succession plan for both goaltenders and defensemen. Unfortunately some of those prospects did not pan out. It is not unrealistic to expect some of the current Fair-haired prospects to also not pan out. I have high hopes but more reasonable expectations.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I do not understand your question. I was talking about the goal and how it happened.
Yeah. My question is 4v4. I wonder how they got the mcdavid boro matchup. Unless it was straight off the faceoff at the other end with the last change

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I don't understand this notion that if you're critical of the team you aren't a "true" fan.

over the top negativity is stupid, over the top positivity is the same

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He's one of the "laziest" players I've seen.

It is like he spends every play trying to conserve energy. He's all about body position vs. the forecheck, strength on stick, passing instead of puck carrying, and anticipating the direction of the play.

The more I see him, the more I wonder if he will actually fall apart as he gets older. Like...where is he going to "lose a step" if he never "steps" anyway.

I don't think its lazyness and I don't think he's trying to conserve energy... I think its all about his lack of foot speed. He doesn't extend himself and he trys to remain in good body position because if he gets outside that he does not have the speed to recover to good position.

Reactions: NyQuil

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I've never seen a player manage his lack of foot speed so well though.

But still if he gets any slower, i cant see him being an effective top 4. which sucks at that contract, but we have some nice young 'uns coming up.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I've never seen a player manage his lack of foot speed so well though.

But still if he gets any slower, i cant see him being an effective top 4. which sucks at that contract, but we have some nice young 'uns coming up.
If he gets any slower you would have to have some pretty good instruments to detect motion :laugh:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Generally I would agree but the amount of negativity over the team due to preseason games and over the summer even though we just went to the ECF makes no sense.

Some posters should be held accountable for baseless over reactions for no reason especially in pre-season

I agree. In my household we were all pumped up for this season. I think my kids watch the playoff highlights weekly. They are teenagers and should enjoy the highs, because getting to that point this year, a lot of fanbases would die to experience those OT games, all the special moments that go along with it.

Some people are just a certain way and nothing is going to change that. Whether they bash ownership, GM, coach, players, music, concessions, traffic etc...it just ruins the experience of having an NHL team in your city with a player like Karlsson on your team. Enjoy it, fans, warts and all.

It is ok to be mad at your team and love your team at the same time. That is why we are fanatics.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Stayed up to watch this in its entirety, not a big deal for some, but my crew starts moving at 5:30am every day :)

That said, really impressed. Last year this was a team that could get a lead and would take their collective foot off the gas. Not so the last two games, and I like it. The Sens look dangerous and it was refreshing to hear the CBC panel say as much - Friedman especially was complementing the Sens, and I nearly passed out when Kypreos said they were a good team. Hrudy suggested that Anderson-Condon might be as good a combo as there is in the league...just a great deal of positive comments about the team. Refreshing.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah. My question is 4v4. I wonder how they got the mcdavid boro matchup. Unless it was straight off the faceoff at the other end with the last change

Yes, the matchup of McDavid was at the face off in the Oilers Dzone. I just watched it again on my vcr.

Two Edmonton forwards brought the puck into the Senators Dzone. In fairness to Boro, after missing McD he saw the second forward (Yamamoto) who just passed the puck to McDavid skate into the Dzone and tried to skate with him into the Dzone as Ceci was coming across the ice trying to get to that forward too. McD passed the puck to Larson who was open at the inside the blue line.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If he gets any slower you would have to have some pretty good instruments to detect motion :laugh:

Phaneuf was known to be slow when the Senators acquired him. He has been a steadying force on the blue line and addressed a problem with the Senators defence at that time. He is better than what we had then (Cowan, Wiercioch). He is tough to play against, hits, crosschecks and annoys the other team’s forwards. He is also calm under pressure. He is tending down and is probably becoming a 5-6 Dman. Yes, he is expensive for that role.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Phaneuf was known to be slow when the Senators acquired him. He has been a steadying force on the blue line and addressed a problem with the Senators defence at that time. He is better than what we had then (Cowan, Wiercioch). He is tough to play against, hits, crosschecks and annoys the other team’s forwards. He is also calm under pressure. He is tending down and is probably becoming a 5-6 Dman. Yes, he is expensive for that role.

Well I was mostly kidding but.. I am not saying Phaneuf has not played well, or has not made a positive contribution in several ways ... I am just saying he's slow.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Loved how cocky McDavid was when Pageau finished his check on him, laughed him off. Guess what? The Senators are a better team right now, and it is unquestionably united. Loved what Boucher said about the power of a team. In many respects, this could be the best "team". Players that sacrifice points to make the right play, for the good of the team. That will carry them a long way and, clearly, Boucher has them believing in him. Early.

Reactions: aragorn

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The team did seem to have a solid succession plan for both goaltenders and defensemen. Unfortunately some of those prospects did not pan out. It is not unrealistic to expect some of the current Fair-haired prospects to also not pan out. I have high hopes but more reasonable expectations.

With so much emphasis on goalie coaches, goalie camps, video and 1-on-1 time with goalies for so many years, it's unfathomable how there can be such a drought of top players at that position.

At least one of our kids must have the ability to step up and be a #1. Condon has looked good for stretches last year, and the game in Edmonton....but he has a ways to go yet.

As for the positivity/negativity stuff.....this is October. Every year, we see pretenders look like gold, and contenders sleeping at the wheel. While I love this start (especially without Erik), it's way too early to plan the parade route. If the guys can keep up this level of play and pace for the whole season....hot damn! But I'm not quite betting on it....yet.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
You can't have too many options for the "what happens when Anderson retires or can no longer be the starter" question.

Condon is still only 27 which isn't old for a goalie. Who knows. Maybe he won't be the guy but I would rather have a lot of options than too few only to be stuck figuring things out - Emery, Gerber, Elliott, Leclaire, Auld. It took us 5 goalies to reach Anderson.

If you want to throw in Hasek you can but I feel like he was the guy until that freaking injury.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Yes, the matchup of McDavid was at the face off in the Oilers Dzone. I just watched it again on my vcr.

Two Edmonton forwards brought the puck into the Senators Dzone. In fairness to Boro, after missing McD he saw the second forward (Yamamoto) who just passed the puck to McDavid skate into the Dzone and tried to skate with him into the Dzone as Ceci was coming across the ice trying to get to that forward too. McD passed the puck to Larson who was open at the inside the blue line.

in fairness to boro?

he displayed the extent of his hockey iq on that play. that wasnt boros man as turris was the one who covered for him so naturally boro should have taken turris' position. he couldn't make the decision on the fly

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Biggest addition to our teams mentality, so far, is not playing to keep a 2-0 lead like we did every time last season. Keeping the foot on the gas is proving to be very helpful.
I'm not sure I'd its all a team mentality or if our best offensive forwards are in better form than they were for almost all of last season. Ryan and Brassard are in their playoff form from last may and Stone seems to be recovered from whatever ailed him late last year. Makes a huge difference for the offense as a whole to have these guys playing to their potential.

Reactions: Smash88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad