GDT: SENS in California (Kings), Thurs. 10:30pm on TSN

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
I missed everything after the halfway point of the first period, can anyone who saw the game answer this question for me:

The condensed highlights give the impression that we were very lucky to make it to OT - was that not the case? In your opinion, did we play better than the condensed game suggests?

It looked like LA had a bunch of breakaways in the second, Toffoli missed a wide open net, and one of the Kings hit the post in the third. The stats aren't too pretty either.

I have no agenda and am genuinely curious, thanks in advance!

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I missed everything after the halfway point of the first period, can anyone who saw the game answer this question for me:

The condensed highlights give the impression that we were very lucky to make it to OT - was that not the case? In your opinion, did we play better than the condensed game suggests?

It looked like LA had a bunch of breakaways in the second, Toffoli missed a wide open net, and one of the Kings hit the post in the third. The stats aren't too pretty either.

I have no agenda and am genuinely curious, thanks in advance!
yes and no. The breakaways were certainly a problem in the 2nd but the sens had a good amount of chances as well and were more aggressive. I was happy with the game and we got shafted on a call in OT which lead to an odd man rush. The sens really pushed hard and you could tell they were going to tie it. The kings were really good to start the 3rd period but the role players on ottawa (pageau dumont burrows pyatt and thompson) had some dominating shifts in the LA zone mid way through the 3rd and really turned the momentum. Condon was also good on most of the breakaways and made some key saves . The D were pinching a lot cause we were always behind in the score which led to odd rushes but that is part of the game imo if you are being aggressive. The Kings go ahead goal in the 3rd was a really good/lucky tip play

I came away happy with the effort

Reactions: Anaxagoras

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Another loss? Goddamn guys

I am seeing the disaster artist tonight, can't wait!

Also just wanted to reiterate how goddamn tired I am right now at work because I stayed up to watch the Sens give up like 30 prime scoring chances and lose. I'm an idiot.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The one giveaway at the blue line at the end of a PP that led to a Kings breakaway is the one mistake everyone seems to be fixated in on here. What people seem to have forgotten to see was that he also made a fantastic play to keep the puck in the zone before that to keep the puck in the offensive zone. Funny, even the local media bozos like Steve Warne were all over Chabot after that ONE. So what, he had a brain fart and turned the puck over. Happens to the best of them. Heck it happens to Ceci/Oduya multiple times in a game.

Sucks that this fanbase and the local media feel the need to try to prove their own points on a fantastic young player like Chabot, whenever he makes one mistake, by being extremely vocal about that ONE mistake, yet Cody Ceci got close to 4 years of a free pass for no reason whatsoever and he makes multiple mistakes per game.

Chabot's mistakes led to zero goals against. Let the kid learn from his mistakes on the ice. Not like we are winning any games anyways.

so you're right, and everyone else is wrong.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Condon played a great game.

Dutchie looked good.

Harpur got walked on 1st goal & otherwise slow-footed. Maybe he sits next game?!

Sens deserved better. EK got caught pinching up in OT which led to 2 on 1 w Dutchie back defending. He let Doughty walk in waaay too close for shot on net. Not Condon's fault.

Overall B+ game
GSG!

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Pretty danm close to being a fact.

Phaneuf and Ryan, then you add Burrows (you can find AHLers better than him) , Boro (overpaid because of intangibles) , Thompson(who I like) Smith (good but overpaid) Max McCormick (a ****ing one way to an AHL lifer?)

Your list of players on the Sens roster, that you say are NFG is pretty long........... are they any that meet with your approval?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I knew the boards would zero on the typical players. So predictable in here. If you guys watched the game Burrow Thompson Pyatt were key in the the 3rd to turn momentum around when LA was pushing hard as was Pageau and Dumont. Ryan also played a really PF ish game with a good net front presence on Dutches goal aswell as an awesome defensive play to hustle back and stop what seemed to be a surefire goal. Ryan was ready last night.

Phaneuf once again was solid and steady. Ceci had a huge bounce back game but of course we won't talk about that. Pageau won't get any heat for playing like ass most of the season but he really turned it up with Dumont last night.

Outside of Chabot getting benched I think the team as a whole played really well. Brass and Karlsson though could be much better imo though Karlsson showed flashes

I can tell you watched last night game.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Thank you. This is what I was looking for originally. I didn't watch past the first last night, saw Chabot's ice-time and wondered why. If he was as bad as you say, then maybe he deserved to ride the pine. Based on the portion of the game I watched, it seemed to me by looking at the ice time numbers that there was a bit of a double standard that Harpur got to play through his mistakes yet Chabot did not get that opportunity.

Harpur turned "Pro" in 2015, and has played 118 games at the AHL and ECHL level combinded, and the 30 games at the NHL level.

Chabot turned "Pro" this season, and has played 13 games in the AHL and a grand total of 10 games in the NHL.

You see that as a "Double standard" but everyone else sees that as two players at much different levels of the professional development, and therefore are treated as such.

It's not to difficult to understand.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I was not talking about last night's game, I was talking about Burrows' play in general.

Also, why is it that fans actually believe that it is OK for your bottom 6 to not chip in offensively? Burrowsaurus said it yesterday and I completely agree with him. Why do we only expect certain players to score while we as fans are quite content when 4th line guys just chip the puck out of the defensive zone? So bizarre.

Reminder, Alex Burrows has 1 even strength goal in his last 27 games. Pretty sure we can find a ton of 3rd-4th line plugs who can contribute everything expected out of a bottom 6 forward PLUS some offense for way less money without a NMC.

I actually agree the bottom six should be contributing as well, but the fact remains the top six are the ones expected to do it consistently throughout the yr. Personally, I would replace about six forwards & three defencemen on this team & would much rather see some of our prospects playing instead of some of these guys but we know that will not happen with this coach. It's kind of tiresome though to be complaining about the same players every day. I think it's a much worse situation that Karlsson, Duchene, Ryan, Pageau & a few others aren't contributing more consistently especially the captain.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I can tell you watched last night game.
Oh my gooodness we can't even agree with you guys without you whining about it.

So many have come out and said yep ceci played well. Yep so and so. Yep so and so.

Where were you after cecis game against the ducks?

So much crap about "where y'all at once the players you hate play well?! " Well where YOU guys at when the players you love play like utter garbage

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
yes and no. The breakaways were certainly a problem in the 2nd but the sens had a good amount of chances as well and were more aggressive. I was happy with the game and we got shafted on a call in OT which lead to an odd man rush. The sens really pushed hard and you could tell they were going to tie it. The kings were really good to start the 3rd period but the role players on ottawa (pageau dumont burrows pyatt and thompson) had some dominating shifts in the LA zone mid way through the 3rd and really turned the momentum. Condon was also good on most of the breakaways and made some key saves . The D were pinching a lot cause we were always behind in the score which led to odd rushes but that is part of the game imo if you are being aggressive. The Kings go ahead goal in the 3rd was a really good/lucky tip play

I came away happy with the effort

Many thanks, HSF!

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Have we really gotten to the point with Ceci that every time he does one thing right we have to start the whole debate over again?
well why not? we've been criticizing everything he's done wrong for two years right?

Ceci is -2 on the year. Given his role, his deployment, the state of our offence not scoring goals and the state of our goaltending not stopping pucks how bad can he be?

Reactions: Chip Chipperson

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
McGuire has some good comments on the game.. McGuire: Confused by Boucher's positivity
Watch the goal Spoiler Free NHL Highlights where Harpur gets beat and how Karlsson plays it.. That is not text book defense... He is facing the goalie defending against a cross crease pass that did not happen .. the guy right behind him gets the puck and scores.
Also good comments on the neutral zone,.. I see them pressing for more offense as well and not playing the system as they did in the past .. I think adjustments are being made and they are in the middle of it.
He emphasizes a problem in the Dzone ...particularly slot coverage which has been really obviously bad over the recent stretch.. I attribute it to execution.. Crawford and Boucher are not dumb and this is basic.
McGuire is critical about Boucher's use of Chabot and not having White up... IMO Dorion has to be part of this fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anaxagoras

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Nice Vid. Harpur also missed his assignment on the guy who scored. But he's young, shit like that will happen.

Harpur gets beat and how Karlsson plays it.. That is not text book defense... He is facing the goalie defending against a cross crease pass that did not happen .. the guy right behind him gets the puck and scores.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
So you're putting more weight in that 1-8-1 stretch than 82 games last year + 19 games in the playoffs?

I think this is a rose coloured glasses view of last season's team because of the run the boys made in the playoffs.

Lets be honest here, it was pretty typical throughout last season to comment that the team was going into their default mode of: "hang on and wait for Karlsson to win us the game". It wasn't even a bad strategy because over the last few years, Karlsson has been the best hockey player on the planet. Unfortunately, this season, Karlsson isn't that player. Maybe he'll get back to that point, maybe he never does, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that this year's team is worse than last year's year because of "reasons".

The difference between this year's Sens that seem to be in the race for Dahlin and last years' Sens who were a goal away from possibility winning the Cup is Karlsson's play. Period. Full stop.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Besides the misplays by Harpur and Karlsson, Stone also could have caught Pearson and tied up his stick if he had skated.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Oh my gooodness we can't even agree with you guys without you whining about it.

So many have come out and said yep ceci played well. Yep so and so. Yep so and so.

Where were you after cecis game against the ducks?

So much crap about "where y'all at once the players you hate play well?! " Well where YOU guys at when the players you love play like utter garbage

Maybe "some of us guys" know that players have good games, some great games and some bad games. It's normal in the course of a season, therefore see no need to dump on a player each and every time they have a bad shift or a game.

Do you expect every player to have a stellar game, each and every game, and also expect the Senators to go 82 and 0 every season?

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
McGuire has some good comments on the game.. McGuire: Confused by Boucher's positivity
Watch the goal Spoiler Free NHL Highlights where Harpur gets beat and how Karlsson plays it.. That is not text book defense... He is facing the goalie defending against a cross crease pass that did not happen .. the guy right behind him gets the puck and scores.
Also good comments on the neutral zone,.. I see them pressing for more offense as well and not playing the system as they did in the past .. I think adjustments are being made and they are in the middle of it.
He emphasizes a problem in the Dzone ...particularly slot coverage which has been really obviously bad over the recent stretch.. I attribute it to execution.. Crawford and Boucher are not dumb and this is basic.
McGuire is critical about Boucher's use of Chabot and not having White up... IMO Dorion has to be part of this fix.

Agree mostly on everything

Thing he is wrong though is his assessment of the Doughty’s goal where he doesnt think hooking and interfering by Kopitar on Dzingle is a penalty

If you are going to call Oduya at 1:41 of the 1st for a check on Toffoli to immediatly put Ottawa against the rope there is NO way You dont call Kopitar in OT and let a 2 on 1 rush decide the game

Disgusting at best

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Maybe "some of us guys" know that players have good games, some great games and some bad games. It's normal in the course of a season, therefore see no need to dump on a player each and every time they have a bad shift or a game.

Do you expect every player to have a stellar game, each and every game, and also expect the Senators to go 82 and 0 every season?
No I expect cecis good to bad game ratio to be better.
Players playing well and not Is part of every game discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->