GDT: Sens & Habs Take it Outside | 7PM EST on CBC

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Oduya had a good game last night I thought, I don't mind him at all... I don't get the hate, he is not a first pairing D but he's swedish and probably what Karlsson asked for. Anyway, find me a team where the 1st pairing is the rotation of a rookie, an old vet and an often healthy scratch in Claesson. We have a serious problem when a guy comes back from being healthy scratch and gets on the first pairing.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Oduya had a good game last night I thought, I don't mind him at all... I don't get the hate, he is not a first pairing D but he's swedish and probably what Karlsson asked for. Anyway, find me a team where the 1st pairing is the rotation of a rookie, an old vet and an often healthy scratch in Claesson. We have a serious problem when a guy comes back from being healthy scratch and gets on the first pairing.

Show me another team where an old vet gets routinely outplayed by a healthy scratch and a rookie, but still gets first pairing mins over them.

Reactions: Pierre in Orleans

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007

People have been hating on Oduya because he has struggled mightily but still gets top pairing minutes.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Not disagreeing with the gist of your post but I think Karlsson is way past needing a Swedish countryman on his left side or the team for that matter. Any rookie Swedish player the Sens might bring in would probably be very glad he's here but as for Karlsson he's well acclimatized to Canadian/American life.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Awesome to see how pumped the culture was in Ottawa last night. There is so much more potential for events, fan action/entertainment, etc etc when you have something available closer to the core of town. Or honestly, somewhere within a major population center. It just is more exciting pre-game, during the game, and post game.

Just thinking about it is more exciting, compared to thinking about CTC out in Kanata in the middle of no where...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Awesome to see how pumped the culture was in Ottawa last night. There is so much more potential for events, fan action/entertainment, etc etc when you have something available closer to the core of town. Or honestly, somewhere within a major population center. It just is more exciting pre-game, during the game, and post game.

Just thinking about it is more exciting, compared to thinking about CTC out in Kanata in the middle of no where...

To be fair, we have to thank the Habs fans who also showed up in droves for the game. (many of whom I am sure are from the Ottawa-Gatineau area but also probably quite a few who weren't)

In the stands, it was a very jovial atmosphere, at least where I was, with good-natured ribbing but just a lot of people having fun in general.

So much so, that I almost feel bad that Montreal fans didn't get to cheer at least one goal.

Almost.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland

Ottawa is an excellent event town and always had been. Give us a reason to get out and we will pay and we will show.
Going to the CTC 40+ games a year is a reach unless you're living close to it though.
Bring on LeBreton, bring it on....

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Seems like Ryan started using a long stick a while ago but he's really starting to get the hang of it.

Same with Smith but not as much success.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
They have games in hand on everyone in front of them except Boston. And they're 3 points back of fourth place Montreal.

They're already back in it. If they win the next 4 or 5 including those 2 games against Boston they're probably in third.

So you're saying that if the Sens win 4 or 5 games ( Minnesota, Tampa, Florida,Boston,Columbus,Boston) of their next six (2 vs Boston)..... They'll be in third by January 1st.

Boston plays, Columbus, Buffalo, Winnipeg, Detroit, Ottawa, Washington, and Ottawa to finish off the month.

So lets say Ottawa gets 10 points, and I'll say it safe to say that Boston (if they lose both vs Ottawa in regulation) would still get about 5 points min. out the other games.

That would see Ottawa with 10 more points, for 39, and Boston with 5 more points for 40 points, with both teams having played the same number of games.

Ottawa is not in third place.

You're betting as much on a Boston slump happening simultaneously as Ottawa having a winning streak.

Meanwhile you're hoping that Montreal and Detroit lose the majority of their remaining games this month.

To many teams have to play bad for Ottawa to gain the ground you see as being easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Get yer SENS dolls here....

25354025_10155661270220743_2580411395992104462_n_Fotor.jpg

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
And none of those teams will be on pace for 96 pts, which was my point. 96 isn't the target, so there's no reason to act like all is lost because 96 pts is a tall task. If we take out Boston in those two games the target become much more attainable.

Also, how would Ottawa be in a distant third in that race when I clearly showed they'd be 2nd? They'd be a pt ahead of Montreal, and 2 pts ahead of Detroit.

Let's forget total points, for the sake of argument, and focus on playoff chances.

Look, I'm just being realistic about Ottawa's (9.2%) playoff chances.

Granted they're in the same boat as both the Habs (9.6%), the Panthers (9.3%) and the Wings (7.6%).

But Boston is sitting pretty good with an 80.3% chance of making the playoffs, most likley in third place of the division.

These teams are basically all in the same race, for the one single playoff spot. And right now they're all about just past the third way point of the season.

If this was a 100 meter race, Boston is at least 10 meters ahead of the four teams just behind them, trying to beat out each other just to catch up to Boston, hoping to catch them at the tape, on the last day of the season.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Seems like Ryan started using a long stick a while ago but he's really starting to get the hang of it.

Same with Smith but not as much success.

I'm pretty sure Ryan has always had a long stick. It's a part of his game.

Smith too, though idk if he added a bit of length to it (that's what she said).

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think it's a little early to be doing math for a playoff spot, maybe thats just me though.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Never knew him being Swedish mattered.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
So you're saying that if the Sens win 4 or 5 games ( Minnesota, Tampa, Florida,Boston,Columbus,Boston) of their next six (2 vs Boston)..... They'll be in third by January 1st.

Boston plays, Columbus, Buffalo, Winnipeg, Detroit, Ottawa, Washington, and Ottawa to finish off the month.

So lets say Ottawa gets 10 points, and I'll say it safe to say that Boston (if they lose both vs Ottawa in regulation) would still get about 5 points min. out the other games.

That would see Ottawa with 10 more points, for 39, and Boston with 5 more points for 40 points, with both teams having played the same number of games.

Ottawa is not in third place.

You're betting as much on a Boston slump happening simultaneously as Ottawa having a winning streak.

Meanwhile you're hoping that Montreal and Detroit lose the majority of their remaining games this month.

To many teams have to play bad for Ottawa to gain the ground you see as being easy peasy lemon squeezy.

I don't think it's going to be easy. Not sure why you're trying to out words in my mouth.

I'm just saying that it's possible. 4 or 5 wins including 2 against Boston would either put them in third or biting at Boston's heals.

Will they win those games? Who knows. The season so far suggests probably not. Will Boston lose more then they win? Beats me. We will find out.

All I'm saying is that it's possible, and the past two convincing wins for the Sens certainly put them in striking distance. albeit in the worst division in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad